Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KVCA poll (15th region)
The new KVCA rankings were released this morning!

1. Allen Central
2. East Ridge
3. Pikeville
4. Johnson Central
5. Betsy Layne

Looks about right to me. Huge match between Betsy Layne and Johnson Central tomorrow night - looking forward to that one! Also, All-A starts this weekend! I still can't believe that East Ridge is now class A, but looking forward to it. What's everybody's take on the rankings?
Can't argue with this as I feel Allen Central is heads above the others and East Ridge is a little above the other three. The rest of the region seems to be in a rebuilding mode. East Ridge just added another player which will help them especially in the depth, can't have enough good players.
Other than Belfry and South Floyd, I'm not sure I would claim any team in the region as "rebuilding". Betsy Layne, Johnson Central, Pikeville, and Paintsville are definitely not rebuilding, obviously neither ER or AC are either. The rest of the region... You have to have been good at some point to be considered RE-building and anyone that follows this region closely knows that half the teams in this region are just not good - that's the way it has always been. I had just heard of ER possibly adding the new player recently... Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of buzz surrounding it, so I'm not expecting a whole lot - but agree, a little depth can be a good thing.
At this point in the season, I'd have to say it is about right. I think East Ridge and Allen Central are closer than people give ER credit for. But otherwise, I'd have to agree with the polls at this time. I will say, that other than Letcher Central (definite), and maybe Ashland Paul Blazer on a good night, I don't think any other "mountain" teams at this point would crack the top 5 here in the 15th. The top 5 (15th region) is a tough top 5, in my opinion, and either of them is capable of beating the other on a good night. With AC and ER, you'd have to be playing at your very best to challenge, but it could be done.
I was thinking that Betsy Layne, Johnson Central and Paintsville lost one or two of their best players, so rebuilding came to mind. Betsy Layne, Johnson Central, Pikeville are in a group of their own. You are correct at least half and maybe more are not very good. East Ridge IMO is a step above their others and Allen Central right now is in a league of their own, not saying the others (top 4) can't be competitive and even win, but if Allen Central is hitting on all cylinders they will be very tough to beat. The young lady at East Ridge is a solid player and being new will help in certain situations and will definitely be a plus in practice. She had to be cleared to play causing her a late start. East Ridge has a solid rotation, but you never know what might happen during the course of the year. Good post I appreciate your comments and thoughts.
Couldnt agree more PHS. The 15th, in my opinion, has totally asserted itself as the class of the mountains. The 13th, 14th, and 16th are well behind the 15th at this time. In fact, other than Southwestern, I'm not sure how well even the 12th would compete against the 15th. It's exciting to see volleyball continue to grow as a sport in this region. It is miles ahead now where it was even just a few years ago.
BBN4EVER Wrote:Couldnt agree more PHS. The 15th, in my opinion, has totally asserted itself as the class of the mountains. The 13th, 14th, and 16th are well behind the 15th at this time. In fact, other than Southwestern, I'm not sure how well even the 12th would compete against the 15th. It's exciting to see volleyball continue to grow as a sport in this region. It is miles ahead now where it was even just a few years ago.
Couldn't agree more. I can remember not too long ago, when it was almost torture watching some teams play, but the knowledge, talent, and dedication has grown by leaps and bounds in the 15th. Haven't had a chance to watch anyone from the 12th, but I've had the chance to see the 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th all play, and the 15th right now is just heads and shoulders above the others, with a few exceptions (like Letcher Central, which is a PHENOMENAL program tradition-wise for this area). Going to be a great year. Pikeville plays Perry County Central tomorrow, I haven't seen them play this year, so looking forward to that one.
I think Perry is pretty weak this year. I look for Pikeville to take care of business. The Warriors will visit Pburg tomorrow. I definitely think a 13-1 start is in order. However, East Ridge did get a very difficult draw in the All-A as they open with Paintsville and will have to take on Allen Central if they defeat the Tigers. I'd really like to see them begin to seed these tournaments!! Blind draw is just silly.
BBN4EVER Wrote:I think Perry is pretty weak this year. I look for Pikeville to take care of business. The Warriors will visit Pburg tomorrow. I definitely think a 13-1 start is in order. However, East Ridge did get a very difficult draw in the All-A as they open with Paintsville and will have to take on Allen Central if they defeat the Tigers. I'd really like to see them begin to seed these tournaments!! Blind draw is just silly.
Then again, if you seed, you would have teams front-loading their schedule with easier games leading up to the All A, and possibly not playing each other beforehand, so as to avoid hurting their seeding. ER is 12-1, Pikeville is 9-1, Allen Central is 2-1 (officially, according to KHSAA), while Betsy Layne and Johnson Central are both 7-3. Using a seeding process, most likely AC would be a lower seed than all of those teams. That wouldn't be fair either, in many people's eyes. No tournament is ever 100% "fair" in their selection process, but I think blind draws are the best way to do it (unless there was a format like the district winners/runners up in the regionals for basketball) overall. I can remember in the past when Pikeville has had tough opening match draws too. I expect ER and AC to take care of business and end up playing each other. That's a game I will definitely remain in the stands to watch. Saturday should be a fun day!