Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 More West Virginia Mine Deaths
1 accident happened at the Jacob Mining #1 Mine near Naugatuck in Mingo County. Dispatchers reported that Robert Runyon 48 of Belfry was apparently killed in a rooffall around 3:15pm on Friday.
The other accident happened at the Mystic Energy's Candice #2 Mine in Boone County when a worker was somehow pulled into a conveyor. The miners name has not been released.
That is really sad news, an I hate to hear that.
Very sad news... their family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers
That's horrible. My thoughts go out to their families.

On a side note, alot of mines around here have been shutting down due to drug testing and violations. An effort IS being made to make mines safer. I just don't understand why all the complications have happened so suddenly..

This kind of stuff has been happening tribe... I can't remember all the stats but go to msha.org.. you can pull up a list of all the fatalities across the country for each year..

Mine deaths just didn't get much publicity until the accident at the w.va mine.. or the pennsylvania mine accident a few years ago (even though they all made it out alive)..

But thanks to those people are finally seeing how dangerous the job is and are doing something about it..
I'm in love with Tawnya.. hehe..

Tom is not my friend....

if you have any questions send me a p.m.
Pray for all these families...I know Robert and his family. I grew up with them. This family has had more than their share of grief over the years..I was shocked when my Dad told me he had been killed. Robert is the uncle of Belfry pitchers Aaron Chapman and Robert Runyon...
Our thoughts and prayers go out to this family....
So far in 2006 there has been 23 coal mining fatalities in the US. In 2005 there were 22 the lowest number ever recorded in the US. In 2004 28 fatalities, 2003 30 fatalities and in 2002 there were 27 fatalities.
It is unexplainable why there has been so many more accidents this year. The Coal company that I work for is operating as they have for the past 3 years, no major mining laws have been changed or added in the that time. I just hope that the remainder of 2006 can be accident free.
That's what I'm talking. Thank you for bringing up that stats Old School.

Why is it that in April we already have 23 deaths when we only had 22 in the whole year just one year ago?

The Sago Mine accident is still under investigation, but if the explosion or roof fall happened behind the sealed area, no one could have prevented or known that it was about to happen.
You have to remember that almost half of the 23 came from one accident so that really pushed the numbers up.

Another reason for the number could be the result of MSHA being short of inspectors and MSHA funding be cut back.
CatDawg Wrote:You have to remember that almost half of the 23 came from one accident so that really pushed the numbers up.

Another reason for the number could be the result of MSHA being short of inspectors and MSHA funding be cut back.

We are still having about the same amount of inspection days by State and Federal inspectors. One mine worked 25 days last month and had inspector vists on 21 of those days with very few violations written.
I understand that but MSHA is short inspectors and funding has been cut over the past few years.

The company that I work for have received almost as many violations in the past couple of weeks that they did all of last year and are incident rate has been dropping for several years running. MSHA is really being aggressive now mainly to CYA.
My heart goes out to the families of these men.My son is a coal miner at Consol.He has been in the mines for 8 years and he is just 27.I have not had a restful nites sleep since he started.
Terrible news from a dangerous occupation. I feel sadness for the families as when I was much younger went thru the same circumstances. The family of both miners need much prayer.
Old School Wrote:1 accident happened at the Jacob Mining #1 Mine near Naugatuck in Mingo County. Dispatchers reported that Robert Runyon 48 of Belfry was apparently killed in a rooffall around 3:15pm on Friday.
The other accident happened at the Mystic Energy's Candice #2 Mine in Boone County when a worker was somehow pulled into a conveyor. The miners name has not been released.
I hate to hear this very sad news.
Prayers go out to all families involved....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]