Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sekc
Anyone know who is playing in the SEKC Scrimmage and where they are playing it at?
Aug 9 @ Knox Cent
KC vs. Williamsburg
Lynn camp vs. Cumb Gap Tn.

Aug 10 @ Bell Co
Pineville vs. Middlesboro
Bell vs. Harlan Ind

Aug 10 @ Corbin
3 way scrimage between corbin, clay and Harlan Co.
Hmmmm HC and Corbin?
Bear_Paw Wrote:Hmmmm HC and Corbin?

I think the HC,Clay, Corbin scrimmage is moved to Thursday.
Yogibear Wrote:I think the HC,Clay, Corbin scrimmage is moved to Thursday.

Sounds good.
Yogibear Wrote:I think the HC,Clay, Corbin scrimmage is moved to Thursday.

Why is it a three way scrimmage when everyone else is a single scrimmage?
West 80 Wrote:Why is it a three way scrimmage when everyone else is a single scrimmage?

I know that Bell plays all three so they can't be involved.
West 80 Wrote:Why is it a three way scrimmage when everyone else is a single scrimmage?

There is no rhyme nor reason to it. I've been in those conference meetings and to try and get 10 coaches tp agree on who is playing whom, where and when is like having 10 ladies in a shoe store agreeing on the same pair of shoes!!!
footballfever Wrote:There is no rhyme nor reason to it. I've been in those conference meetings and to try and get 10 coaches tp agree on who is playing whom, where and when is like having 10 ladies in a shoe store agreeing on the same pair of shoes!!!

There are some teams who try to dodge others.
Yogibear Wrote:There are some teams who try to dodge others.

I agree but I believe all coaches do what they think is best for their team. You dont want to scrimmage a team on your schedule. Most coaches like to schedule 1 really tough scrimmage and 1 they feel they will win. Small schools dont want to scrimmage big schools and some schools don't want to play regular season games or scrimmage agains certain teams.
Schedules are very very difficult to fill out sometimes.
footballfever Wrote:I agree but I believe all coaches do what they think is best for their team. You dont want to scrimmage a team on your schedule. Most coaches like to schedule 1 really tough scrimmage and 1 they feel they will win. Small schools dont want to scrimmage big schools and some schools don't want to play regular season games or scrimmage agains certain teams.
Schedules are very very difficult to fill out sometimes.

The conference has outlived its usefulness. It is watered down. It used to mean something to be offensive lineman of the year in that thing. Now those awards are given to two or three different kids per year. Killed the meaning of it. Most of the teams dodge a couple of the others in the regular season, so there is no true champion. It's just silly.
Yogibear Wrote:The conference has outlived its usefulness. It is watered down. It used to mean something to be offensive lineman of the year in that thing. Now those awards are given to two or three different kids per year. Killed the meaning of it. Most of the teams dodge a couple of the others in the regular season, so there is no true champion. It's just silly.

I agree with most of what you are selling yogi. My question to you is why be in the conference? Why not have your own grid and keep your money and let them have the conference and give 14 different trophies for off linemen? What are the big advantages of being in the conference? What exactly do they do for the members besides a post season trophy? It use to be if you were in the conference you pretty much had your schedule set but that is a thing of the past. My question would be what is the benefit of it?
wildone89 Wrote:I agree with most of what you are selling yogi. My question to you is why be in the conference? Why not have your own grid and keep your money and let them have the conference and give 14 different trophies for off linemen? What are the big advantages of being in the conference? What exactly do they do for the members besides a post season trophy? It use to be if you were in the conference you pretty much had your schedule set but that is a thing of the past. My question would be what is the benefit of it?

The only advantage of it is you get players recognition. I believe there are now 2 five team divisions. Small school and large school.
wildone89 Wrote:I agree with most of what you are selling yogi. My question to you is why be in the conference? Why not have your own grid and keep your money and let them have the conference and give 14 different trophies for off linemen? What are the big advantages of being in the conference? What exactly do they do for the members besides a post season trophy? It use to be if you were in the conference you pretty much had your schedule set but that is a thing of the past. My question would be what is the benefit of it?

This is why Whitley got away from it.

I agree.
The only thing that has changes is about 15 years ago they went to 2 divisions, small and large. There use to be 13 teams now I think 10, 5 each division. They give POY,QB,RB,WR,OL,DL,LB,DB,Special Teams,Kicker,Punter. I just think its ok for 11 kids out of 200 to get an award that makes them the best at that position that year. The more recognition players and teams get the more they enjoy it.
Football is year around now for kids and coaches with makes it year around for parents. Anyone who thinks the teams who win 8,10, 13 games and championships work harder and spend more time than teams who win 0,2,4 games is wrong.:rockon:
footballfever Wrote:The only thing that has changes is about 15 years ago they went to 2 divisions, small and large. There use to be 13 teams now I think 10, 5 each division. They give POY,QB,RB,WR,OL,DL,LB,DB,Special Teams,Kicker,Punter. I just think its ok for 11 kids out of 200 to get an award that makes them the best at that position that year. The more recognition players and teams get the more they enjoy it.
Football is year around now for kids and coaches with makes it year around for parents. Anyone who thinks the teams who win 8,10, 13 games and championships work harder and spend more time than teams who win 0,2,4 games is wrong.:rockon:

Awards are OK. I am just saying they don't mean as much as they used to. There is no way to argue that.
footballfever Wrote:There is no rhyme nor reason to it. I've been in those conference meetings and to try and get 10 coaches tp agree on who is playing whom, where and when is like having 10 ladies in a shoe store agreeing on the same pair of shoes!!!

Why do they let Cumberland Gap play in the conference grid? They are not a member. They make 11 teams. That puts 3 teams playing each other.
Harlan Co. will be the best team in the SEKC. I believe them and Belfry will be the top two teams in the mountains.
Yogibear Wrote:Awards are OK. I am just saying they don't mean as much as they used to. There is no way to argue that.

Maybe not but use to there was 1 division so 1 of each position. Now there are 2 with 2 divisions. I bet when there was only 1 there were fans, coaches, parents, players everywhere who said, no, this 1 or that 1 should have won. If there had been a bluegrassrivals 20 years ago people would have wanted more awards for SEKC players and more classes.
You can argue anything. If you don't believe me then read some of the stuff on here.
FIRST Wrote:Harlan Co. will be the best team in the SEKC. I believe them and Belfry will be the top two teams in the mountains.

That is what they said last year and who was the best in the SEKC.
In the early 80's these are the teams that I can remember were in the SEKC.
Harlan
Bell co.
Lynn camp
Whitley Co.
Corbin
Rockcastle
Laurel Co.
Williamsburg
Knox Central
Middlesboro
Pineville

I think there were 2 more teams but I can't remember who they were. But anyway,it was an honor to be voted "Lineman of the year" in this group of teams. An honor I will always cherish even more than All State Honorable Mention. If anyone can remember the other teams please list them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Backwoods Wrote:In the early 80's these are the teams that I can remember were in the SEKC.
Harlan
Bell co.
Lynn camp
Whitley Co.
Corbin
Rockcastle
Laurel Co.
Williamsburg
Knox Central
Middlesboro
Pineville

I think there were 2 more teams but I can't remember who they were. But anyway,it was an honor to be voted "Lineman of the year" in this group of teams. An honor I will always cherish even more than All State Honorable Mention. If anyone can remember the other teams please list them.

Cawood, Evarts and Cumberland.
footballfever Wrote:Maybe not but use to there was 1 division so 1 of each position. Now there are 2 with 2 divisions. I bet when there was only 1 there were fans, coaches, parents, players everywhere who said, no, this 1 or that 1 should have won. If there had been a bluegrassrivals 20 years ago people would have wanted more awards for SEKC players and more classes.
You can argue anything. If you don't believe me then read some of the stuff on here.

I am not saying people didn't argue when one player was named lineman of the year. I am saying it does not mean as much when you have 4 co-linemen of the year. It is just a way to try to please everyone in this day of trying to make everyone happy and not offending anyone.
Amped 88 Wrote:Cawood, Evarts and Cumberland.

I don't think these three teams were apart of the SEKC. At least before 1984. I thought they were all in the CVC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I was thinking maybe it was Clay Co. And Breathitt Co.. But I could be wrong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think most people had Bell ranked first coming into the season. Harlan County took over as No. 1 when Bell lost early. I had Bell No. 1 in the area last season, but I'm leaning toward Harlan County this time.

I'm pretty sure Breathitt was never in the SEKC. Clay County was. Laurel may have been there in the 70s, but I don't think they were in the 80s. I'm not sure about Rockcastle either.

Cawood, Cumberland, Evarts and Lynch were in the CVC until Lynch closed in 1981. Cawood, Cumberland and Evarts joined the SEKC around 84 as Backwoods said.

Several teams like Cumberland Gap have played in the conference gridorama before. Sometimes that's the only way teams can find an opponent.
Yogibear Wrote:I am not saying people didn't argue when one player was named lineman of the year. I am saying it does not mean as much when you have 4 co-linemen of the year. It is just a way to try to please everyone in this day of trying to make everyone happy and not offending anyone.

True, its like getting a "particpation" trophy.
Backwoods Wrote:In the early 80's these are the teams that I can remember were in the SEKC.
Harlan
Bell co.
Lynn camp
Whitley Co.
Corbin
Rockcastle
Laurel Co.
Williamsburg
Knox Central
Middlesboro
Pineville

Your memory is better than mine, but it may be where you got a few years on me....Confusednicker:

But good list. As HDE said, Breathitt was never in the SEKC. Clay definitely was, I remember them playing in the grids. I do think Rock was in it, but it was short lived, and if Laurel County was it was before my time.

The SEKC honors use to mean something, but theyve simply become to watered down. If there was anyway to start a conference where we could get all the teams from Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, and Laurel Counties together and make awards only for the first team and best player at each position as a whole rather then be broke down we could be on to something
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Your memory is better than mine, but it may be where you got a few years on me....Confusednicker:

But good list. As HDE said, Breathitt was never in the SEKC. Clay definitely was, I remember them playing in the grids. I do think Rock was in it, but it was short lived, and if Laurel County was it was before my time.

The SEKC honors use to mean something, but theyve simply become to watered down. If there was anyway to start a conference where we could get all the teams from Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, and Laurel Counties together and make awards only for the first team and best player at each position as a whole rather then be broke down we could be on to something
Rock was for sure in cause I remember that Burley Burkhart,one time coach and player at the rock,was at the awards ceremony. Someone had said earlier that there was 13 teams but I'm thinking there was only 12.
Now,teams used to have to play a full 5 game conference schedule. Some teams only play 3 or 4 games now just to get recognition for their players but not to compete for a title. If they would go back to the old format the awards would mean something and there would actually be some competition. Under the current format I don't see it ever being much other than an easy trophy. When I was "LMOTY" I was one of only 2 who had ever achieved that at Harlan. Now Harlan has a "LMOTY" every year nearly. It just doesn't mean what it once did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]