Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic 3 Pleasure Ridge Park 2 (KHSAA State Tournament)
Final.
Really enjoyed this game. Both Pitchers went the distance. The Junior Johnson is really good for PRP, First pitch of the game was 87 MPH, last pitch in the 7th was 87 MPH. He ran into a wild streak, and all three of his walks turned into runs. Hats off to Connor Bartels, He had the PRP offense off balance the entire game! I thought for sure Schulkins would bring in Josh Cain to close it, but Bartels just got stronger as the game went on.
Congrats to NCC!
Newport Central Catholic 3, Pleasure Ridge Park 2: Connor Bartels stymied No. 17 PRP on three hits to lead NewCath into the quarterfinals for the second year in a row.
Bartels had eight strikeouts and walked one.
The Thoroughbreds lost to PRP in the quarters last year.
NewCath jumped ahead 2-0 in its first at-bat, taking advantage of Hunter Johnson's shaky start. Johnson walked Brady Hightchew and Dom Pangallo, and Nick Wolterman blistered a triple to the gap in left-center.
NewCath added a run in the third on Josh Cain's two-out RBI single.
PRP, whose anemic offense has been a problem all season, got a pair of runs in the third. Blake Stewart singled, Josh Beams was hit by a pitch and freshman Alex Miller had a run-scoring single.
With two outs, Johnson hit a sky-scraping infield pop-up that was dropped, allowing Beams to score and cut the Thoroughbreds' lead to 3-2.
But Bartels blanked PRP the rest of the way to pick up his eighth win of the season.
LEXINGTON, KY. — A season-long concern for the Pleasure Ridge Park High School baseball team — an inconsistent offense — finally spelled its doom.The Panthers managed just three hits and wasted a solid performance from pitcher Hunter Johnson in a 3-2 loss to Newport Central Catholic on Tuesday night in the first round of the Kentucky National Insurance/KHSAA State Tournament.
“We’re not a great offensive ballclub to begin with,” PRP coach Bill Miller said. “We hit some balls, and they made the plays.”
A crowd of 1,679 at Whitaker Bank Ballpark saw Newport Central Catholic (25-16-1) avenge a 10-4 loss to the Panthers in last year’s quarterfinals. The Thoroughbreds will face Henderson County in Thursday’s 6 p.m. quarterfinal.
PRP (29-12) failed to score more than four runs in all 12 of its losses. Johnson (7-4) allowed just three hits and struck out 12 but walked four batters, with three of them scoring.
“That’s baseball,” Miller said. “You walk people, they score. Hunter pitched great. … You have to give (the Thoroughbreds) credit. They’re a great baseball team. They beat us.”
NewCath jumped on top early. Brady Hightchew and Dom Pangallo walked to open the game, and Nick Woltermann followed with a shot over the head of center fielder Jacob Clair for a two-run triple.
“That’s a huge hit to get the momentum,” NewCath coach Jeff Schulkens said before complimenting Johnson. “That’s probably the most velocity we’ve seen all year. He was consistently 86, 87 (mph).”
Josh Cain’s RBI single made it 3-0 in the third before PRP rallied in the bottom half.
After Blake Stewart singled and Josh Beams was hit by a pitch, Alex Miller singled to score Stewart. Johnson then hit a high popup that was dropped by shortstop Woltermann, allowing Beams to score to make it 3-2. Connor Bartels (8-3) struck out Joe Hatcher to end the inning.
“Earlier in the year that would have killed us,” Schulkens said of the error. “The pitcher would have given up a base hit after that and we’d fall behind. Connor did a great job bouncing back. The kid’s a great competitor.”
Bartels retired 13 of the final 14 PRP batters, with Cody Strong’s fifth-inning walk the lone blemish. Bartels said the key was keeping the hitters off-balance.
“We just threw a lot of off-speeds to the top of the lineup,” said Bartels, who struck out eight and walked one.
It was PRP’s fifth trip to the state tournament in seven years, including a title in 2008. Miller, in his 33rd season at the school, said he was as proud of this team’s work ethic as any he’s coached.
“They played hard, and we just came up short,” he said.http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...er?Avis=B2
LEXINGTON – With one swing of the bat on Tuesday night, Newport Central Catholic senior shortstop Nick Woltermann did something to the Pleasure Ridge Park baseball team that hadn’t happened to it since the regional tournament began and junior pitcher Connor Bartels basically made it hold up.
Woltermann tripled home two runs in the top of the first, NewCath added a third run in the third and Bartels retired 13 of the final 14 batters he faced as the Thoroughbreds beat PRP, 3-2, in a first-round game of the Kentucky High School Athletic Association State Tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.

NewCath (25-16) advances for the second year in a row to the quarterfinal round where it will play Henderson County at 6 p.m. on Thursday. Henderson County (27-13-1) advanced with a 10-0 win over North Oldham in a first-round game earlier on Tuesday.
PRP (29-12) entered the game with a team ERA of 1.49 and won all three Sixth Region Tournament games via a shutout. It had allowed just two runs in its five postseason games.

Woltermann quickly changed that in the top of the first. PRP starter Hunter Johnson, who entered the game with a 7-3 record and a 1.24 ERA, walked senior center fielder Brady Hightchew and junior right fielder Dom Pangallo to start the game and Woltermann followed by belting a 1-0 pitch over the head of PRP center fielder Jacob Clair to score both runners and put NewCath up, 2-0.

“That’s a huge hit to get the momentum,” said NewCath coach Jeff Schulkens. “That’s probably the most velocity we’ve seen all year. We’ve played a good schedule, but we haven’t seen a pitcher throw that hard. We said let’s be patient with him, let’s work the count and that’s what Brady did and Dom did and then Nick got a pitch to hit.”

Johnson regularly hit 86-87 mph throughout the game with his fastball, according to the ballpark radar gun. He pitched a complete game, allowed just three hits, walked four and struck out 12.

“He was probably the best we’ve faced all year,” said Woltermann, who finished 2-for-2 and also reached on a catcher’s interference. “I’ve always liked fast pitching. I hopped on it. At first I thought the center fielder was going to catch it, but then I was like, ‘All right, cool.’ I was excited for our team.”

The Thoroughbreds upped their lead to 3-0 with a run in the top of the third. Hightchew again led off the inning with walk, went to second one out later when Woltermann reached on the catcher’s interference and scored when junior left fielder Josh Cain drilled a single to center. Schulkens gambled sending Hightchew home and he scored when Clair’s throw hit the mound.

PRP closed within 3-2 by scoring twice in the bottom of the third. Freshman shortstop Alex Miller drove home the first run with a two-out single to left center and the second run scored when Woltermann dropped Johnson’s extremely high pop up near the pitcher’s mound.

Bartels, who beat Ryle in the semifinals of the Ninth Region Tournament, mixed a brilliant curve with a fastball that topped out at 80 mph. After Woltermann’s error he retired 13 of the final 14 batters he faced, including a spectacular diving catch by junior left fielder Josh Cain against the leadoff batter in the bottom of the seventh inning. PRP didn’t get a hit over the final 4 1/3 innings.

“The kid’s a great competitor,” said Schulkens. “I had no doubt. I know a lot of people wondered why not Josh (Cain), he’s your number one, but I said in my opinion they’re 1A and 1B.

“Last couple of innings he wanted the ball. He was struggling through the middle innings with his curve, but then got it back again. He threw a tremendous game tonight.”

Bartels, who entered the game with a 7-3 record and a 2.57 ERA, allowed only three hits, walked one, hit a batter and struck out eight.

“I was excited when we scored in the first and at that point I knew it was my job to shut them down,” said Bartels.

He said his game plan was to not give in to the top of the PRP lineup, especially Johnson, the No. 4 hitter, who had hit six home runs on the season.

“I wanted to avoid the No. 4 hitter,” said Bartels. “We just threw a lot of off speeds to the top of the lineup. I had confidence the whole game with what I was doing.” http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...306050089/