Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moore taps Gatewood
Moore taps Gatewood

Only 27 years old, Richard Gatewood can’t wait to get going in his first job as a head coach.
Gatewood has been named the new boys’ basketball coach at Moore after spending last season as an assistant coach under Shedrick Jones, who left to become the head coach at Southern.
“After my first year as an assistant I wanted to become a head coach, but I didn’t know if it would come this quick,” Gatewood said. “This is something I’ve always dreamed of since I gave up basketball in college.”

Gatewood is a 2003 graduate of Western, where he played basketball and golf. He attended Campbellsville and Spalding before returning to Western as an assistant coach. He was an assistant coach for the 2009-2010 Butler team that reached the state tournament and was at Jeffersontown during the 2010-11 season.While at Moore last season, Gatewood helped the Mustangs post a 28-5 record and reach the final of the Louisville Invitational Tournament and the semifinals of the Sixth Region Tournament.
Moore lost several key players to graduation — including Mr. Basketball finalist Mekale McKay — but Gatewood expects guard play to be solid with brothers Jaelin and Jamon Sanford returning.
“I think we’ll be able to slow it down when we need to and speed it up when we need to,” Gatewood said. “The ultimate goal of every coach is to make it to the Sweet 16, and I think you have to be able to play both speeds on offense and defense to get there. You can’t be good at just one speed.”http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...ts?Avis=B2