Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern Alumni 22, Pulaski Co. Alumni 20
In the first-ever Southwestern-Pulaski County Alumni game, the Southwestern Warriors came away with a 22-20 victory over the Pulaski County Maroons.

It was a great game to watch, as fans got to see former Southwestern and Pulaski County players go toe-to-toe once more.
That is awesome.
This is a great idea, I hope more schools do it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Warriors down Pulaski in inaugural Alumni Game
Southwestern 2010 grad Cody Mote scores game-winning TD with no time on clock

By MICHAEL CHILDERS, CJ Correspondent
Commonwealth Journal

Somerset — Have you ever wondered what it would be like to go back in time and play a game and relive your glory days?

Well, former gridiron high school heroes got to do just that on Friday evening at Pulaski County High School Field, as they were allowed a chance to turn back the clock and relive some of their fondest memories in the inaugural Southwestern-Pulaski County Alumni football game.

And just like the high school games between the Maroons and Warriors, it went right down the final play, as Southwestern’s Cody Mote scampered into the end zone from one-yard out as time expired, giving the ‘Blue and Orange’ a hard-fought, 22-20 victory over the homestanding Maroons.

But it was more than just a game, it was a chance for former players to get along side their once teammates and set aside their stressful lives for a couple of hours and just have some fun.

Former Southwestern standout kicker Ryan Pruett, who graduated in 2006, enjoyed reliving some old memories, but welcomed the opportunity to make new ones. The former Warrior kicker is at or near the top in each of the kicking records at Southwestern.

“It was great being able to play football again, I had a lot of fun,” stated Pruett. “It was good to relive some memories that we all left out on the field years ago and make new memories to go along with it.”

Pruett kicked a 33-yard field goal and made an extra point in the two-point victory over Pulaski.

Another former Warrior great, Patrick Gaskin, participated in the game. Gaskin, who went on to play college football at the University of the Cumberlands, enjoyed getting to strap on the pads with some of the recent Warrior players as a defensive lineman on Friday.

“This was an awesome experience,” explained Gaskin, a graduate of 1998. “The whole cross-generation aspect is really what made this alumni game so much fun. I had an opportunity to play with Warriors I had watched the past few seasons, and others from yesteryear. (The game was) such a great experience.”

For Pulaski, Kyle Stone felt like the Alumni game was just another ordinary game day that he experienced while a member of the Maroons football team under head coach Johnny Hines. Stone loved getting the chance to suit up along side former Pulaski greats that he once watched as a little kid.

“It was awesome strapping the pads on again and playing against our rival, Southwestern,” began Stone, who graduated from Pulaski in 2010. “It felt just like high school again watching videos before the game, the warm up, and all the fans it was crazy. To top it all off, bringing out the black jerseys made everything feel even more like high school. Playing on the same team as the guys that I looked up to growing up was like a dream come true. Just being out on the field one more time with my brothers meant everything to me.”

Stone caught a touchdown pass from Alex Abner midway through the fourth quarter to give the Maroons a 20-16 lead with 6:59 left in the game. It was a special moment for Stone, who dedicated the score to his grandparents.

“The touchdown meant a lot to me because I lost both my nanas and my papaw in my life,” Stone said. “As soon as I scored, I pointed to the sky because it was for them.”

Though it was a game, Stone acknowledged that both teams enjoyed another chance of getting to play against one another once more.

“Southwestern came out and played hard and came out with the victory, but at the end we all joked around,” continued the former Maroon wide receiver. “I’m glad I was apart of something like this and had a lot of fun with it. It was a fun game and I definitely want to be apart of this next year. Congrats to Southwestern for winning, and thank you to all the fans for coming out and supporting both teams.”

The Warriors opened the game with 10 consecutive points to grab an early 10-0 advantage over the Maroons. Southwestern began the scoring spree, as Mike Jones tossed a touchdown pass to Taylor Mote. Ryan Pruett would put the ‘Blue and Orange’ ahead by ten points with a 33-yard field goal.

With 7:01 left in the opening half of action, Jonathan Denham hooked up with Stephen McQueen for a touchdown pass. The two-point try missed, making the score, 10-6, in favor of the Warriors.

At the intermission, the score would be 10-6.

Both teams would each score in the final 1:05 of the third stanza. The Maroons took their first lead of the night with a touchdown run from Alex Abner and a two-point run from Denham.

However, Cody Mote and the Warriors would strike just over a minute later, as they retook the lead at 16-14 with just three seconds left in the third quarter.

Abner, who took over the quarterback position for Denham, threw a perfect strike to Kyle Stone for a touchdown pass, which gave the Maroons a four-point lead with just under seven minutes left to play.

The Alumni game was put in place to help raise money for both the Southwestern and Pulaski football programs. Plans are already being put together for another game between these teams next year. If Friday night’s game is an indication of things to come, this Alumni game series is going to be a good one.

SW 7 3 6 6 — 22

PC 0 6 8 6 — 20

SCORING SUMMARY:

FIRST QUARTER:

SW - Mike Jones to Taylor Mote TD Pass (Ryan Pruett Kick), 10:17

SECOND QUARTER:

SW - Pruett Field Goal, 9:15

PC - Jonathan Denham to Stephen McQueen TD Pass (2-pt. Failed), 7:01

THIRD QUARTER:

PC - Alex Abner TD Run (Denham Run), 1:05

SW - Cody Mote TD Run (PAT Missed), 0:03

FOURTH QUARTER:

PC - Abner to Kyle Stone TD Pass (2-pt. Failed), 6:59

SW - Mote TD Run, 0:00

http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...lumni-Game
It is a great set-up seems like. A few questions. Is it full pads and full contact? Do all players have to provide their own insurance? What is the liability of the schools for using fields and equipment?
^
Great questions.
I would also like to know.
footballfever Wrote:It is a great set-up seems like. A few questions. Is it full pads and full contact? Do all players have to provide their own insurance? What is the liability of the schools for using fields and equipment?

It was full contact and full pads, just no blitzing. Players did have to use their own insurance. They paid $40 to rent equipment/etc. To sign-up, players had to present their high school diploma.
^
Instead of making the players rent the equipment, you should charge a 7 or 8 dollar gate and all the proceeds be split in half between the two high school teams.
I know if you did a Whitley/Corbin game like that thousands would prolly show up.
It would be good money for the teams to use.
Wow, what a great idea. Kudo's to who ever came up with this.
Its a national program and several different companies offer it. I dont think SW or PC used the retailer they just did it on their own which is smart more money to keep. Didn't go to the game but heard it was pretty cool. Any big names play for SW or PC?
I already know the strategy in a Belfry game like this.

Give the ball to David Jones. I'd love to see us do this and play Pikeville or something. Would be awesome.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Instead of making the players rent the equipment, you should charge a 7 or 8 dollar gate and all the proceeds be split in half between the two high school teams.
I know if you did a Whitley/Corbin game like that thousands would prolly show up.
It would be good money for the teams to use.

There was a $3 admission at the gate, which was split between the 2 schools. The concessions went to PC, since they were the home school. Next year, SW will host the game.
Here is Southwestern's roster:

# Name pos. grad year

1 Jeremy Waters OLB 1995
4 Matt Sadler WR 2005
3 Cody Mote RB 2011
6 Mack Simpson OLB 2010
7 Harrison Wells LB 2009
11 Mike Jones QB 2007
15 Chris Randall CB 1999
20 Jon Floyd RB 2010
21 Josh Walters CB 2007
22 Logan Viers DL 2006
23 Justin Bridges S 1998
24 Greg Taylor OLB 1996
26 Matthew Absher WR 1998
28 Shane Miller OLB 1995
29 Chris Roberts TE 2005
30 Lee McCrystal WR 1997
38 Jason Murphy S 1996
40 Miles Mullins OLB 2004
42 John Ashley S 1997
44 Ryan Pruett S/K 2006
45 Wess Daulton OLB 1998
53 Lukas Halcomb OL 2010
57 Josh New OL 1997
58 Willie Dunagan OL 2011
61 Patrick Gaskin DL 1998
73 Mike Lewis OL 2007
77 Frank Crabtree OL 1996
83 Patrick Wright S 2006
? Taylor Mote WR/RB 2010
?Travis Piercy LB 2005
McCreary Co and Scott Co TN did this for years (we called it the Lard Bowl, LoL) I think we played a total of 11 or 12 years. We haven't been able to get Scott Co to play for the past 3 or 4 years so it's not still going at the moment but a lot of McCreary guys try to get the game played every year because it's so much fun. Maybe TN will man up and play KY again someday. LoL!
As soon as i get copies of the game, i will post a short highlight video of the game for you all
This is awesome, i'd love for PCC/Hazard to do this.
Belfry0304 Wrote:I already know the strategy in a Belfry game like this.

Give the ball to David Jones. I'd love to see us do this and play Pikeville or something. Would be awesome.
I'd definitely attend. And I am sure a ton of people would as well. Since it doesn't really matter and it would benefit both schools.

I can see Matt Branham launching bombs right now.
Great idea, Let's bring back the Apple Bowl (old school)
somerset is going to try and get together next year. If they do each school will play each other.
xtrapoint Wrote:somerset is going to try and get together next year. If they do each school will play each other.

If I know Coach Hines very well he won't agree to ANYTHING with Somerset until THEY agree to a home - and - home football series.
Santa Monica Wrote:If I know Coach Hines very well he won't agree to ANYTHING with Somerset until THEY agree to a home - and - home football series.

Here we go again with this. Well, then I guess we won't have a PC/SHS Alumni game. I don't understand why Coach Hines is so fired up to play "a little ole 1A school" like he called Somerset a few years back. Isn't he 0-2 vs the Jumpers since he spouted off all that stuff in the paper?

The PC/SW Alumni game was pretty fun to watch. Not a bad brand of football considering the limited practice time each team had. It was a couple of steps slower than Friday nights but I chalk that up to teams not having a great deal of time to get comfortable together.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Here we go again with this. Well, then I guess we won't have a PC/SHS Alumni game. I don't understand why Coach Hines is so fired up to play "a little ole 1A school" like he called Somerset a few years back. Isn't he 0-2 vs the Jumpers since he spouted off all that stuff in the paper?

The PC/SW Alumni game was pretty fun to watch. Not a bad brand of football considering the limited practice time each team had. It was a couple of steps slower than Friday nights but I chalk that up to teams not having a great deal of time to get comfortable together.

I remember the quote of "Somerset is just a little ole single A school..." origionating from Jay Cobb. Hines just repeated Cobb's quote. As for me, I don't understand why Somerset won't play PC in football every year. They play every year in every other sport. Sometimes two or three times. And yes, Somerset has won the last two meetings of the teams. Why then are they afraid to play every year in football ? Makes no sence. The money would be great, the fans love it, why not play it?
Santa Monica Wrote:I remember the quote of "Somerset is just a little ole single A school..." origionating from Jay Cobb. Hines just repeated Cobb's quote. As for me, I don't understand why Somerset won't play PC in football every year. They play every year in every other sport. Sometimes two or three times. And yes, Somerset has won the last two meetings of the teams. Why then are they afraid to play every year in football ? Makes no sence. The money would be great, the fans love it, why not play it?

I would love to see each school play each other every year! Have a county champion, let a school have bragging rights around town for a year! It would be great for the town, fans, and the kids!
Norm Peterson Wrote:Here we go again with this. Well, then I guess we won't have a PC/SHS Alumni game. I don't understand why Coach Hines is so fired up to play "a little ole 1A school" like he called Somerset a few years back. Isn't he 0-2 vs the Jumpers since he spouted off all that stuff in the paper?

It was a step slower due to the fact that some guys had not played since high school. I thought the tempo and everything was great! I thought the hitting was just as hard as during the season with the kids! It was a great time and i cant wait for it next year!