Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recruiting Misinformation
Beechwood and Cov Cath are not in Boone Co.
plantmanky Wrote:Beechwood and Cov Cath are not in Boone Co.

Both schools get a decent amount of students from Boone County. Its an 6-12 minute drive up 75 or Dixie Hwy for most of these students
nky Wrote:Boone county's lost I guess. Maybe that's why Beechwood or CovCath has the success they have?

Beechwood had four starters this year that live in Conners district.

CovCath had five starters from Boone County.
Holy Cross's All State lb lives in Boone County.
IAM22 Wrote:Holy Cross's All State lb lives in Boone County.

yup, Holy Cross also has a decent number of students from Boone County. I think 10% of the school.

point is, the state can't tell families where and where not they can send their child. if they could, private and independent schools wouldn't exist. recruiting grade school kids is not illegal, every school has to do it at some extent to get their students. as long as it stays within the rules, its fine.
IAM22 Wrote:Holy Cross's All State lb lives in Boone County.

IAM22 Wrote:Beechwood had four starters this year that live in Conners district.

CovCath had five starters from Boone County.

toussaints Wrote:Both schools get a decent amount of students from Boone County. Its an 6-12 minute drive up 75 or Dixie Hwy for most of these students

plantmanky Wrote:Beechwood and Cov Cath are not in Boone Co.
Seems to me that the Boone County schools need to do a better job getting their kids to want to stay at their "home" schools. The easy of mobility especially in Northern Kentucky, gives parents more choices where to send their children. All schools must do some type of "recruiting" to make their school attractive to the middle school kid.
nky Wrote:Seems to me that the Boone County schools need to do a better job getting their kids to want to stay at their "home" schools. The easy of mobility especially in Northern Kentucky, gives parents more choices where to send their children. All schools must do some type of "recruiting" to make their school attractive to the middle school kid.

Yes, they do need to do a better job of keeping kids in their house.

Yes, the ease of mobility does make it convenient in NKY. One of the reasons for going out of the county is that it is on the way to parents work and they do not want to leave their younger kids at home waiting for the bus. So the parents take their kids to school on their way to work.

If someone wants their kid to have a Catholic education hard for Boone to compete with that. Also, I think parents like their kids going to smaller schools in "upper" income brackets because of the perceived better environment.

I like the term you used "attractive." I think that is a much better way to describe what goes on. Schools that try to "attract" kids are the ones that seem to do better at everything.

Since Boone's BOE does not allow out of district kids, it does no good to make it seem more attractive to outside students.
IAM22 Wrote:Yes, they do need to do a better job of keeping kids in their house.

Yes, the ease of mobility does make it convenient in NKY. One of the reasons for going out of the county is that it is on the way to parents work and they do not want to leave their younger kids at home waiting for the bus. So the parents take their kids to school on their way to work.

If someone wants their kid to have a Catholic education hard for Boone to compete with that. Also, I think parents like their kids going to smaller schools in "upper" income brackets because of the perceived better environment.

I like the term you used "attractive." I think that is a much better way to describe what goes on. Schools that try to "attract" kids are the ones that seem to do better at everything.

Since Boone's BOE does not allow out of district kids, it does no good to make it seem more attractive to outside students.
then make it attractive to the students they "lose" else where. Figure out why they lose them, what can be done to keep them, how can the community help, how can the school's organizations help. It's easy to pass the blame onto others instead of looking at your own programs(academic and athletically). This isn't a recuiting issue
In all fairness to Cov Cath, Holy Cross, St Henry, their are several fairly large private K-8 schools in Boone Co that I would say a large amount of their students come from.

Also, Boone Co schools not sponsoring Middle School football could have something to do with this as well.
Now I wouldn't say Boone County is suffering when it comes to football. Boone County has always been a strong program, Ryle is one of the top programs in NKY, Conner and Cooper both had a strong year.
IAM22 Wrote:A reciprocal agreement only pertains to state money being shared or following a student to a district outside of their "home" district. It has nothing to do with accepting students or not.

Since you said earlier what school you are affiliated with I will use that as an example. If your are in Whitley's school district and want to go to another school outside of your district. You chose Pike Central and Pike Central decides you are worthy enough to attend their school(j/k). But you are accepted now if their is a reciprocal agreement your state funding will go to PC. If their is no agreement, you can still attend PC, but Whitley would keep your state money. Then PC would then expect you to pay the costs, out of your pocket, to educate you at PC.

Also, say Whitley gets $7500 from the state and PC gets $9500 from the state and they have a reciprocal agreement in place. When you go to PC you will have to pay the $2000 difference.

Your not understanding my "point".
I know what a reciprical agreement is.
What im trying to point out is the fact that schools around here use that as a sort of guide on whether or not to allow a kid to go to a different school to pretty much play sports. It's kind of a secret code as to who agrees and who doesnt around here.
Whitley has an agreement with Corbin and Williamsburg. If Whitley was to end that and force all kids who attend those schools but live outside of those school district to attend Whitley, your talking about A LOT of athletes at both schools.
For example, there have been NUMEROUS athletes who have lived outside of city limits in County territory and went to school at the city school and nothing is said.
On the other hand, take Knox County for example. They just ended their agreement with Corbin. Now Lynn Camp is one of the smallest schools in the state. LC is apart of the Knox County school district. There is also A LOT of wealthy families that live in Corbin but are inside of the Knox County school district, thus forcring those children to go to Lynn Camp instead. They let the kids who were already enrolled at Corbin stay there but all new students now have to enroll there, which is kind of absurd considering Corbin is one of the best academic schools in the state and lynn camp is one of the worst. What this also does though is keep good athletes that Lynn Camp was losing to Corbin from going there.
In other words there is a lot of underlying issues that you wont see in the news, but it's one thing some school districts like to do to others.
Didnt Boone County develop an NFL football star who also starred at Bama.
That alone is more than 95% of schools in the state can say.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Didnt Boone County develop an NFL football star who also starred at Bama.
That alone is more than 95% of schools in the state can say.
:Clap:BUt then again what did that do for them? Something that happened 20+ years ago before these kids were born? To be realistic What have the Boone County schools done in football? Zero state championships :Sad04:
^
That i have no clue.
I thought NKY football was irrelevant anyways :biggrin:
To give my input...

I played football in Middle School (which was still JR High then) and was approached by the coaching staff of a Lexington school about playing there but was in Lafayette district. I was informed that I could attend any school outside of my district but could not participate in any of the school's athletic programs unless it was a private school.
nky Wrote::Clap:BUt then again what did that do for them? Something that happened 20+ years ago before these kids were born? To be realistic What have the Boone County schools done in football? Zero state championships :Sad04:

Zero...you are clueless.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Your not understanding my "point".
I know what a reciprical agreement is.
What im trying to point out is the fact that schools around here use that as a sort of guide on whether or not to allow a kid to go to a different school to pretty much play sports. It's kind of a secret code as to who agrees and who doesnt around here.
Whitley has an agreement with Corbin and Williamsburg. If Whitley was to end that and force all kids who attend those schools but live outside of those school district to attend Whitley, your talking about A LOT of athletes at both schools.
For example, there have been NUMEROUS athletes who have lived outside of city limits in County territory and went to school at the city school and nothing is said.
On the other hand, take Knox County for example. They just ended their agreement with Corbin. Now Lynn Camp is one of the smallest schools in the state. LC is apart of the Knox County school district. There is also A LOT of wealthy families that live in Corbin but are inside of the Knox County school district, thus forcring those children to go to Lynn Camp instead. They let the kids who were already enrolled at Corbin stay there but all new students now have to enroll there, which is kind of absurd considering Corbin is one of the best academic schools in the state and lynn camp is one of the worst. What this also does though is keep good athletes that Lynn Camp was losing to Corbin from going there.
In other words there is a lot of underlying issues that you wont see in the news, but it's one thing some school districts like to do to others.

Apparently you do not understand what a reciprocal agreement means. The school you mentioned that ended their reciprocal agreement just means that they will not allow their state money to follow the student to that school. The student can still attend the new school but might have to pay to go there.
plantmanky Wrote:In all fairness to Cov Cath, Holy Cross, St Henry, their are several fairly large private K-8 schools in Boone Co that I would say a large amount of their students come from.

Also, Boone Co schools not sponsoring Middle School football could have something to do with this as well.

Do not be surprised when two of your middle school teams leave after this year to play in Boone County.
Lets the kids play
IAM22 Wrote:Zero...you are clueless.
OK Conner has won a state championship. Boone? Ryle?
IAM22 Wrote:Apparently you do not understand what a reciprocal agreement means. The school you mentioned that ended their reciprocal agreement just means that they will not allow their state money to follow the student to that school. The student can still attend the new school but might have to pay to go there.

You are clueless, and not listening to what im saying.
nky Wrote:OK Conner has won a state championship. Boone? Ryle?

My bad on the clueless comment. It was not meant as it seemed when I re-read it. I needed to put one of those smiley face type things at the end. I figured you knew who had. Heck, I was only around NKY for a little while before I left and knew it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You are clueless, and not listening to what im saying.

That is certainly possible.
nky Wrote:OK Conner has won a state championship. Boone? Ryle?

I give credit to Conner for winning that year, but they were not the best team (they were that night). If not for 2 foot of mud, they do not win the game agianst Highlands. Neither team could do anything in that game because of horrible field conditions, and Conner was able to get one break away run for a score by a fast Melvin Miles for the only action the whole game. With the artificial fields now days, you do not see as many upsets as in the past on fields you can hardly stand up on because of no grass and all mud. I do have to say though, I kind of liked playing in those muddy games.
sstack Wrote:I give credit to Conner for winning that year, but they were not the best team (they were that night). If not for 2 foot of mud, they do not win the game agianst Highlands. Neither team could do anything in that game because of horrible field conditions, and Conner was able to get one break away run for a score by a fast Melvin Miles for the only action the whole game. With the artificial fields now days, you do not see as many upsets as in the past on fields you can hardly stand up on because of no grass and all mud. I do have to say though, I kind of liked playing in those muddy games.
back in the day Conner always seemed to have a wet field or high turf :eyeroll:
This is just my op on the subject. Recruiting goes on and everyone know's it,and if you say no then you are blind. I'm wont name school names but they know who they are because they have 80 or 90 players or even more on the roster every year and they can graduate 2o or more people and come back the next year as good as the last. If you just use players in your school this would never happen. You would always have rebuilding years. I also think we have coaching staffs' who do more with less and some who do less with more. Do we have team's that go further because they get good players from other school's, yes. Do we have a coach or two that would not be as good if they just run what school has to offer,yes.I also think we have a coach or two that play clean and are probably better then some of the big name people but they just can't compete with the big time school's. With all that said I wish they could find a way to put every school on even ground and then we would see who is the best for real. In the end when all is said and done the best way I have found to spot a school who has a lot of player's from other school's is if they say they don't rebuild they just reload!!!

:kneel:
^ if you have knowledge call KHSAA. Everyone isn't doing it. That's just plain wrong