Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County Coach Mike Jones changes mind.
Harlan County Sports: Basketball: Jones decides to remain as HCHS basketball coach
Monday, May 21
Jones decides to remain as HCHS basketball coach

By JOHN HENSON

Harlan County Sports.com

Bob Howard has one less item on his to-do list this summer, and he couldn't be happier.

Howard confirmed Monday that Harlan County High School boys basketball coach Mike Jones had reconsidered his decision to step down.

"After careful consideration, Mike Jones will continue coaching at Harlan County High School," Howard said. "I'm very pleased with his decision to remain as coach. We've discussed this for quite a while and I'm pleased he has decided to return for the 2012-2013 season."

Jones ranks among the state's most successful coaches with a record of 574-231 in 26 seasons at Cawood, Jackson County, Todd Central, Harlan, Clay County and Harlan County. With a record of 369-128 at three Harlan County schools, Jones appears to be the all-time leader in wins in the county.

Jones was selected as the first boys basketball coach at HCHS in 2008 and led the Black Bears to a 79-41 mark in four years, including four trips to the regional tournament and a district championship in 2010. The Bears improved each year, going from 13-15 in 2009 to 19-10 in 2010, 20-10 in 2011 and 27-6 last year.

With four starters and all their key reserves returning, including an unbeaten freshman team that won the regional title and a 16-1 junior varsity squad, the Bears will likely be ranked No. 1 in the 13th Region when the preseason polls come out next fall.
Must to have thought his son was not going to get the job.
OutsideLookingIn Wrote:Must to have thought his son was not going to get the job.

Must have.
I heard today that several people talked with Jones about keeping the job for at least one more year. The Bears will start 4 maybe 5 seniors next season. It would be hard for another coach to put a new system into work that quick.
I had heard a HUGE HUGE name in the state had applied, who has family in Harlan, and kind of missed things up. That may not be true. I don't want to say the name unless someone can confirm it for sure.
^
Billy Hicks?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Billy Hicks?
that didnt look like billy?
Son had no shot and he realized that and came back. Afterall they should be the favorite in the 13th last year.
This decision might be the best for the kids. Jones has been these kids all through the HS careers and with what they have coming back, they could be at Rupp next March. Bringing in someone could mess up the flow and chemistry of this team. I think Jones made the right by coming back.I seen him at the state tournament this past season, hopefully he'll be coaching there this year.
So why didn't he work his magic last year. North Laurel returns a good core of their players also and Sizemore has the best Assistant in the State in Roscoe Denny.
[YOUTUBE="Mike Jones Returns"]8qoSRHTu7-4&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]
zaga_fan Wrote:[YOUTUBE="Mike Jones Returns"]8qoSRHTu7-4&ob=av2n[/YOUTUBE]

Ive been waiting on this! I thought of posting it but didn't want to step on your toes!!!
I will be surprised if Coach Jones' son is not the head coach next season. There will just be better timing on his resignation. Wink