Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 6, Yankees 5
NEW YORK - What looked like a relatively easy day at the ball yard for the Reds was suddenly one solid hit from becoming a disaster.

The three-run lead was down to one. The New York Yankees had runners at first and second with one out. Due up: Derek Jeter and Curtis Granderson.

• Box score
• Chapman to close?
• Red’s relatives deliver Yankee Stadium highlight
• John Fay's Reds blog
• Follow John Fay on Twitter
• More news from Redleg Nation

If Reds manager Dusty Baker was going to pull Sean Marshall, he was going to have to go deep into the bullpen. The Reds had already used Aroldis Chapman and Logan Ondrusek.

Jose Arredondo got the call. Two ground balls and about 10,000 heartbeats later, the Reds had a 6-5 victory before a crowd of 45,302 on a gorgeous day at Yankee Stadium.

And Arredondo had his first save in the majors.

"I could have done without the drama," Baker said. "But we won the game. Anybody who's come here to play the Yankees, they know how the Yankees are. They're built to come back. (They believe) they can come back. They can strike very quickly. I'm just glad Arredondo got his first save and held the fort."

Marshall came into for the ninth with a 6-3 lead.

Raul Ibanez led off with a double. Nick Swisher singled Ibanez in. After Marshall got Russell Martin on a called third strike, Andruw Jones singled. Jayson Nix singled to make it 6-5.

Baker went with Arredondo to face Jeter. Arredondo hadn't begun warming up until Nix came to the plate. "I can always get ready quick," he said.

Jeter hit a potential double play ball on the first pitch. But he beat Phillips' throw by a hair. Granderson got up 3-0 in the count, fouled off two, then hit a grounder to Votto to end it.

"It wasn't fun at the end," Votto said. "I take that back. It was fun the way it ended. It was little bit nerve-racking at the end. It's part of wins and losses. It was good for Jose to come in and pick us up."

Arredondo, the 28-year-old right-hander, has been effective. He's 3-1 with a 2.29 ERA. He's struck out 24 in 19 2/3 innings. But he wasn't thinking strikeout.

"My plan was to get them to hit groundballs," he said. "That way we could complete the double play and get out of the game."

Homer Bailey (2-3) went 6 1/3 innings and allowed three runs on seven hits. He walked one and struck out seven. It was his sixth quality start in seven outings.

"Homer threw the heck out of the ball today," Baker said. "I'm glad we got the win for him. We've blown a few. Those wins are special to starters."

The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the first. Drew Stubbs and Votto walked with one out. Brandon Phillips singled Stubbs in.

Ivan Nova struck out Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier to leave Votto and Phillips on. That started a trend. The Reds would strike out a season-high 15 times.

Devin Mesoraco doubled with one out in the second. An out later, Chris Heisey doubled him in to make it 2-0.

Russell Martin hit the first pitch of the Yankee third out to right for his fourth home run of the year.

The Yankees tied it in the fourth on Raul Ibanez's two-out RBI double.

The Reds took the lead right back in the fifth. Wilson Valdez led off with a single. Heisey bunted his way on. Drew Stubbs hit into a fielder's choice.

Votto got ahead in the count 2-1, then hammered one to right for his seventh homer of the year. That gave the Reds a 5-2 lead.

The Yankees got one run back in the bottom of the fifth on Jayson Nix's home run.

"This is like our ballpark," Bailey said. "Anything in the air has a chance to get out. If you give one up, make sure no one's on base."

Nova was done after six innings. He allowed the five runs on seven hits. He walked two and struck out a career-high 12.

The Reds added a run in the eighth. Phillips led off with a single. Bruce walked. Todd Frazier popped one back to pitcher David Phelps on a bunt attempt. Phelps threw wildly to first trying to double off Bruce. Phillips went to third on the error. Mike Costanzo hit a ball to deep center for a sac fly to make it 6-3.

Then came the drama of the ninth. Baker expected nothing less for the Yankees.

"They can hit. They've hit since the beginning of time," Baker said. "I'm just glad we got a victory. Now we're in position to win the rubber match. We got Johnny Cueto and they got big CC (Sabathia). It's going to be a heck of a ballgame."

Same could be said of Saturday's.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds
Yeah, I'd say Sean Marshall's time as closer is pretty much done since he just about blew another save.

Aroldis Chapman & Logan Ondrusek will probably take turns closing.