Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 6, Mets 3
NEW YORK — Mike Leake and Todd Frazier both admitted they were feeling pressure. Both came through in the 6-3 win over the Mets.

Leake pitched his best game of the year. Frazier had his best night of the year at the plate.

Leake knew his rotation spot was in jeopardy.

“Of course,” he said. “I felt like I needed to do something. I was kind of a hole in the rotation. It was a matter of time before I was going to come around. I need to string a few together. I’m not going to put pressure on myself to do it. I’m going to go out with the same attitude I had tonight.”

Leake went six innings and allowed three runs (one earned) on seven hits. He walked two and struck five. It was his best start of the year. He came in with a 7.11 ERA and one quality start in his last five. The difference?

“I was working on attacking them and throwing the ball with some attitude, instead of like a sissy,” Leake said. “I felt really good going with some attitude and not caring who was up there.”

Still, Leake left with the Reds down 3-1.

Frazier cut the lead to 3-2 with a solo home run in the seventh and then widened the gap with a two-run shot in the eighth. Coming into Wednesday, Frazier was 2-for-15 with seven strikeouts since Scott Rolen went on the disabled list.

“I put a little pressure on myself,” Frazier said. “I had a good talk with (coach) CHris Speier. He told me stuff: You don’t need to press. You don’t need to put pressure on yourself. You’re good enough. Do the stuff you’ve been doing. You’ve got a good opportunity here. Roll with it. Have fun.”

Frazier had a lot fun Wednesday. He’s from nearby Toms River, N.J., he figured 35 or 40 friends and family were at the game.

“It was a fun night,” he said.http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...gory=SPT04
Todd Frazier, showing everyone why he deserves more time in the line-up.