Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Booher teaches a life lesson - Bus crash a tale of warning, survival
COVINGTON - Many survivors of the May 14, 1988, Carrollton bus crash won’t talk about that horrific night, and understandably so.

Jason Booher, however, embraces the opportunity.

“The good Lord let me get out of that bus for a reason,” Booher said, “and I believe one of those reasons is to make a positive impact today on kids’ lives.”

• Follow NKY news on Twitter ... and on Facebook

Booher, varsity basketball coach and assistant principal of the freshman academy at Holmes High School, was a 13-year-old on the bus that exploded when it was hit by Larry Mahoney, a drunk driver in a pickup truck traveling the wrong way on Interstate 71.

Booher was one of 67 youth and chaperones from Radcliff coming home on the bus from Kings Island that night.

He spoke to Holmes students Monday, the 24th anniversary of the tragedy that took 27 lives and left many physically and mentally scarred for life. Booher speaks several times a year at schools, churches and detention centers.

“It used to be tough to talk about, but now I’ve been able to see so many positives that have come from it,” Booher said. “The stiffer drunk driving laws, the safer buses and the many victims that talk about it today and have an impact on people.”

Booher was sitting in the fifth seat from the back, next to the window. He was able to escape the blaze without injury by climbing over the seats and out the back door, then helped pull others out and drag them to the grass in the median.

“We were pulling kids and pulling kids – it seemed like forever,” Booher said. “In 90 seconds, the bus was over 1,500 degrees.”

Just before the crash, he recalls, the bus filled with laughter as kids told stories and jokes and reminisced about what had been a beautiful, 75-degree day at the Cincinnati amusement park.

“Suddenly, everything went from loud to complete silence,” he said. He remembers youth director Chuck Kytta standing up in the front of the bus, engulfed in flames.

“I’ll never forget it,” Booher said. “He stood up and yelled ‘Lord, I’m coming home!’”

Mahoney was sentenced to 16 years in prison. He was released in 1999 after serving just less than 11 years and has never spoken publicly about the crash.

But Booher uses Mahoney’s behavior that night to try to steer students away from alcohol.

“I’ve never tasted alcohol or experimented with drugs, and I’ve had more fun in life than anybody,” Booher said.

He tells students that if they choose to drink, don’t drive, or if they have friends who drink, don’t let them drive.

“He made me realize the importance of not drinking and driving,” said freshman Deja Turner. “You can not only hurt yourself, but the people around you.”

Booher came to Holmes two years ago from Shelby Valley High School in eastern Kentucky, where he led the basketball team to the state championship in 2010.

Before that season started, he dedicated it to Chad Witt, his best friend who died in the blaze.

“I want these kids to know that regardless of what tragedy may occur in their lives, they can rebound and be successful,” Booher said.

Freshman Joe Webb got that message.

“It’s a sad story. You’re 13 years old and your best friend dies and you’re helping people off a burning bus – that’s not right,” Joe said. “But he has still achieved in life and is successful. He’s made the best of it.”http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...ife-lesson
Great story and props to Booher for trying to make a difference in these kids lives.
I was not aware of this. Good to see he is using this tragedy for some good with todays youth.
Great story. Great to see him making an impact on youth today.
It is sad that many of our youth think they NEED alcohol to have a good time, which is really so very far from the truth. Maybe someone of Coach Booher's status will get through to at least one and hopefully many more.
Great message if you've never heard it. He's a terrific speaker.
UPIKEFAN Wrote:Great message if you've never heard it. He's a terrific speaker.

I have read it several times, but would love to hear him actually tell about it. Another thing about him being a great speaker is one of many reasons he is a great coach. Communication skills are a must for a great coach!