Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doug Preston named head coach at Franklin Simpson
District coach of the year at Western in 06, Lead Bullitt East to the state finals in 08, now named the new head coach at Franklin Simpson. Best of luck to coach Preston!
This would have to be a "top 15" job in the state, any class. Indoor practice facility, played in the state finals last year.
Could not agree more SlantStrong. Doug got a raw deal a couple years back at Bullitt East, apparently they thought "change" was some awful four letter word even though they went to the state finals in his first year, even after going 1-3 out of the gates.

Great job and great hire in my opinion as well.
awesome hire for Franklin Simpson, awesome place to be for Preston, it's a great match
Heard be has turned down a couple of cholo type jobs waiting for a real good gig. Heard he was offered the Boyd County position but turned it down. Bullitt East must be a real choloville. Congratulations Coach P. You deserve a job like FS.
Preston knows his stuff. He is a good coach and I wish him all the best. Maybe we will be able to have another exciting meet in the finals again. Franklin-Simpson is a first class program all the way and he has to be pumped to get that program another shot at a title.
Congrats to Coach Preston. Excellent hire for FS.
Where has Coach Preston been coaching the last couple years?
He must have had some great talent or learned how to coach... because he was a terrible coach when he was at Rowan.
blue rainbow Wrote:He must have had some great talent or learned how to coach... because he was a terrible coach when he was at Rowan.

I'm sure he was. After all, Rowan County and the Morehead area is the mecca of Kentucky High School Football isn't it? Matter of fact, Bear Bryant himself along with Walter Payton were both former Vikings, weren't they?

He went 1-9, 4-6, 5-5 in his three years there which was continually better. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying his last year there how excited he was about this middle school aged bunch getting ready to roll through that had a chance to be very special for 2-3 years once they got to high school. Ironic is it not? He was right, too.

Most coaches out there are a lot better with good talent. It kills me to hear that, "Well, so and so was only good because he had good players!" Like you and your other cronies across the state at other schools just cracked the freaking code or something---no flipping duh. Making that comment is like saying, "Well, we only walk because we have legs." Ya think??? :moon:
blue rainbow Wrote:He must have had some great talent or learned how to coach... because he was a terrible coach when he was at Rowan.

I totally disagree. He took over a Rowan program that was "down" at that time. Most to all of his talent was freshmen in his first year. I know all about that because we had to play with all freshmen here in our first year. The man played for a state championship in 2008. Alot of good coaches with alot of talent have not did that. He was an assistant at Danville for a couple years, when Danville was dominant. Played a heck of a Bell county team right to the wire in the state finals. Great opportunity for coach Preston and when you play for a state title in your coaching career, you have an opportunity at jobs like this. You might not like him, but the man has been around alot of good football programs and Franklin Simpson obviously saw something they liked. Great opportunity for him!
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I'm sure he was. After all, Rowan County and the Morehead area is the mecca of Kentucky High School Football isn't it? Matter of fact, Bear Bryant himself along with Walter Payton were both former Vikings, weren't they?

He went 1-9, 4-6, 5-5 in his three years there which was continually better. As a matter of fact, I remember him saying his last year there how excited he was about this middle school aged bunch getting ready to roll through that had a chance to be very special for 2-3 years once they got to high school. Ironic is it not? He was right, too.

Most coaches out there are a lot better with good talent. It kills me to hear that, "Well, so and so was only good because he had good players!" Like you and your other cronies across the state at other schools just cracked the freaking code or something---no flipping duh. Making that comment is like saying, "Well, we only walk because we have legs." Ya think??? :moon:
Your exactly right. Coach P knew he had some talent coming up at the middle school level. His best players like Wayne Stevens were freshmen when he took over the Rowan program. I don't care how good a freshman is, It's hard to win when you have to play freshmen.
Solid hire. This time of year you want to go with someone who has proven that they can win as an HC if you are at a program like FS. If you are struggling, then going for an OC or DC makes sense. But for a winning program, you have to bring in an HC that has run his own show before IMO.
Would love to see a Collins/Franklin-Simpson rematch this season. Last year's game was one of the best I have ever seen. It was disappointing to see Collins lose, but that was one heck of a game.
What happenned to Tim Scholosser?
Resigned and took the Principal's job @ FS. Which makes the gig even better; fixing to go to work for a principal who was not only a long time coach, but a long time successful coach in a football crazed community.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Resigned and took the Principal's job @ FS. Which makes the gig even better; fixing to go to work for a principal who was not only a long time coach, but a long time successful coach in a football crazed community.

Sounds like a perfect fit for Coach. If you know him at all he is a football coach everyday of the year. Sounds like this will be the right place for him. Don't be shocked to see F.S. back in the title game soon.
SlantStrong Wrote:I totally disagree. He took over a Rowan program that was "down" at that time. Most to all of his talent was freshmen in his first year. I know all about that because we had to play with all freshmen here in our first year. The man played for a state championship in 2008. Alot of good coaches with alot of talent have not did that. He was an assistant at Danville for a couple years, when Danville was dominant. Played a heck of a Bell county team right to the wire in the state finals. Great opportunity for coach Preston and when you play for a state title in your coaching career, you have an opportunity at jobs like this. You might not like him, but the man has been around alot of good football programs and Franklin Simpson obviously saw something they liked. Great opportunity for him!

You have your opinion and I have mine from working with him. I just think that a coach who "requires respect" should also show it to his players, colleagues and parents. Hopefully he has changed his ways..
Doug Preston is a very good football coach and most coaches in the state know that. Very good hire for FS. Congrats to coach and his family.
Preston is an outstanding coach, could you be one of his coaches that just did not want to put the work in and quit in the middle of the season? Some people just don't understand what it takes to win!! :hilarious: and :lame:
False Hope Wrote:Preston is an outstanding coach, could you be one of his coaches that just did not want to put the work in and quit in the middle of the season? Some people just don't understand what it takes to win!! :hilarious: and :lame:

No, I was never one of his coaches... just someone who worked with him and observed alot while he was at Rowan.. hopefully he has changed because that would be the best for everyone around.. oh... and I do know what it takes to win... our football program has become one of the best in the state...but being disrespectful multiple times on a daily basis is not needed to be a good coach, in my opinion.
blue rainbow Wrote:No, I was never one of his coaches... just someone who worked with him and observed alot while he was at Rowan.. hopefully he has changed because that would be the best for everyone around.. oh... and I do know what it takes to win... our football program has become one of the best in the state...but being disrespectful multiple times on a daily basis is not needed to be a good coach, in my opinion.

You might want to research when Rowan started winning! It was with Preston:blabbermo
Looking forward to the "Preston Era" at FS. I think we got a great fit in Coach Preston. It was kind of overwhelming to hear of the shear number of applicants for this job and some of the names on those applications.

That being said this year could be a rocky road for the Wildcats. The Senior class is practically non-existent. Talent is coming but they are very very young. But then, someone always seems to seize their moment, kids mature physically and mentally, then do unexpected things on Friday night. We will see.