Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Christian 16, Holy Cross 3
Lexington Christian 16, Holy Cross 3

WP-Henzman. LP-Tiberi. Hitting Leaders: LCA-Blair 2B; Bale 2 RBI; Mossbarger 2-3, 3 RBI; Hall 2-3; Henzman 2-3, 2B, 3 RBI. HC-Guidugli 2-3; R. Pangallo 2-2, 2 2B. Records: Lexington Christian Academy 17-12, Holy Cross 17-7.
LEXINGTON – In its first 23 games this season the Holy Cross baseball team had held an opponent to three runs or less 15 times, while Lexington Christian Academy had been held to three runs or less 15 times in first 27 games, but those statistics turned out to be meaningless on Sunday morning.

That’s because Lexington Christian scored at least one run in every inning in pounding Holy Cross, 16-3, in a semifinal game of the Touchstone Energy All ‘A’ Classic State Tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark that was called after five innings by the 10-run mercy rule.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

It was the most runs Holy Cross had allowed in a game all season and the most that Lexington Christian scored in a game all season.

Lexington Christian (17-12), which went on to beat Louisville DeSales, 4-1, in the championship game later on Sunday afternoon, pounded out 14 hits, drew seven walks, reached base by getting hit by a pitch three times and took advantage of three Holy Cross errors in the fourth inning to score six unearned runs and scored nine unearned runs in the game overall.

Junior starting pitcher Blake Tiberi, who tossed a complete-game four-hitter in the Indians All ‘A’ Classic Sectional Tournament win over Danville and no-hit St. Henry in a semifinal game of the All ‘A’ Classic Ninth Region Tournament, went just three innings and allowed seven hits, four walks and hit a batter in giving up eight runs, five of which were earned.

“To win today we knew we needed to have pitching and defense, and we didn’t have as good as we’ve had in the past,” said Holy Cross coach Mike Holtz. Blake just wasn’t hitting his spots today. He was wild. He walked way too many and walks kill. He’s normally not like that. It was tough it had to happen today. He just wasn’t on today.”

Tiberi also had a bit of bad luck, too, when after allowing a run in the top of the first he had a chance to get out of a two-on, two-out jam when Lexington Christian Academy’s Dallas Murphy swung and missed on an 0-2 curveball that bounced in the dirt and hopped all the way into the stands allowing Murphy to reach. Designated hitter Clay Mossbarger followed by hitting a 2-2 curve from Tiberi into center for a two-run single.

Lexington Christian then scored a run in the top of the second when Taylor Blair scored from third on a wild pitch and tallied three more runs in the top of the third. Tiberi was pulled after allowing a leadoff walk in the fourth and Lexington Christian proceeded to score six unearned runs off reliever Joe Woeste.

“I was feeling good, but I was just struggling to find the strike zone,” said Tiberi. “I wasn’t doing a great of hitting my spots. My curveball was getting over pretty good and so was my slider, but I just made a couple of bad pitches and hung a couple of curveballs.”

Tiberi said he thought the baseball team had a great chance to follow the football team, boys’ basketball team and volleyball team as state champions this school year, especially after it won a tough 2-1 decision over Walton-Verona in a quarterfinal game on Saturday.

“I was extremely confident,” said Tiberi. “I thought our chance of beating this team was very good. We knew they were a solid team and that they were going to be good, but I thought if I pitched my game and we played defense and hit like we normally do we’d win the whole thing.”

Senior catcher Jeff Guidugli, who went 2-for-3 with an RBI in the loss, and senior pitcher Kyle Fuller, who tossed a complete-game three-hitter and struck out 10 against Walton-Verona, were both named to the All-Tournament Team.http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...305060060/