Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinity 3 - St. Xavier 0
Trinity’s Austin Warner had to wait a whole year before getting a win over archrival St. Xavier’s baseball team, but he nailed it down Thursday evening at Slugger Field.

The senior left-hander allowed the Tigers only two hits, struck out seven and didn’t walk a batter while beating the Tigers 3-0 for Trinity’s third straight win and only its 13th in 27 games.

Asked if it was worth waiting that long to get the coveted victory, Warner said: “It was worth it. I was pitching against them last year when the game was called by rain. We were ahead 5-1 going into the bottom of the fourth inning.’’

Warner (3-5) was scheduled to pitch Monday, but rain and lightning again postponed the annual regular-season game between the Seventh Region powers. Trinity coach Steven Tompkins said Warner was his man to face the Tigers whenever they played.

“We knew as a junior and as a senior he was our No. 1 pitcher,’’ Tompkins said. “He’s a gutty kid. He’s had some tough outings this year, but in his last two outings he has really matured. He did a great job locating his pitches and getting the ball above their hands.’’

Warner got a big boost when Trinity jumped on St. X starter Matt Lasley for four hits and three runs in the first inning. Tompkins went against baseball’s percentage rule by sending five left-handed hitters up to bat in the first six spots of its lineup against the left-handed Lasley.

“It is (against the standard baseball rule), but we’ve been working on a set lineup since we played Waggener,’’ Tompkins said. “Those guys see the ball well from both sides.’’

John Liebman led off Trinity’s first at-bat with a double to left-center field. “I hit a fastball a little bit outside on the corner and I drove where it should have been,’’ Liebman said.

Tyler Marshall, batting second, singled up the middle to score Liebman. “I was looking to get my pitch and he put it there, a fastball on a 2-0 count,’’ Marshall said.

Connor Hill, the third hitter, singled but was forced out at second by Sean Pageforde. After Brandon Pitman singled to score Marshall, Lasley walked Brady Pfaadt and Bobby Graven. The walk to Graven sent Pageforde in with the third run.

“Those runs helped me have a little cushion,’’ Warner said. “It’s nice to have some run support.’’

St. X coach Andy Porta didn’t blame Lasley for the loss, the Tigers’ eighth in 29 games.

“Lasley is usually tougher on right-handed hitters,’’ Porta said. “It wasn’t Matt at all. Our pitching coach called in sick. I don’t think Matt was comfortable with me calling the pitches. Once he settled down, he did a super job the last five innings. Trinity hit all of our mistakes (early).’’

Andrew McCormick singled with two outs in the first and Gunnar Wagoner singled to lead off the third for the only two hits off Warner.

Warner struck out the side in the first inning and later retired 10 straight hitters until he hit pinch-hitter Andrew Hubbs with a pitch with two outs in the seventh. He then retired Wagoner on a pop fly to first to end the game.

“I stuck with my fastball pretty much and hit the outside corner,’’ Warner said. “Not too much breaking stuff. It’s always fun (to win) against them.http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...-0?Avis=B2
St. Xavier 000 000 0—0 2 0Trinity 300 000 x—3 8 2WP—Austin Warner (3-5). LP—Matt Lasley (I2-2). 2B—Jonah Liebman (T). Records—St. X 21-8, Trinity 13-14.