Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches no more
Yesterday two coaches resigned from their head coaching jobs. Gene Combs from resigned Montgomery County, but will finish out the season. Danny Rice resigned from Knott Conty Central, and will not finish the season.
Has Knott announced a new coach or an interim for the remainder of the season? Combs is a little shocking too,he had great success at Lee winning the region twice I believe,before moving on to Montgomery.The 10th region is one of the hardest regions in the state with Harrison,Bourbon,Clark,just to name a few.Going to be hard to replace Combs at Montgomery.
Combs is a fantastic coach. His teams always reminded me of the Tom Emansky 9...So fundamental...
Why did Rice resign?

I'm not certain on this so DON'T HOLD ME TO IT, but I have heard as well as some parents that Estill may be open at the end of the year. Coach apparently is going back to college and won't be able to do baseball.

I knew about Montgomery couple weeks ago but didn't post anything because we're in the middle of the season.
Cavannagh Trent is the KCC interim coach.
What is the next step for KCC Baseball? The program needs stability.
Combs to Estill?? A little closer to home.
Thinking the same thing about KCC and stability with the program.Curious to see what will take place or if Trent will remain the coach for a while.Remember Cavannaugh Trent playing before and he was a solid player in high school and college.Rumors always fly around in situations like this and it will be interesting to see what transpires in the rest of the 14th region after the regional tourney for not only KCC,but other teams as well.
mandan Wrote:Combs to Estill?? A little closer to home.

That's what I'm thinking if Coach Sparks is indeed gone.

I'm friends with one of the parents and he said that he's also heard that coach Sparks was going back to college at the end of the season thus, making the head coaching position at Estill come open, now whether or true it is, I don't know, just have to wait and see. I do know some of the parent's aren't too happy with how things are going and it's not about the W/L either. Sparks was the administration's pick when Coach Wood step down.
Strikeout King Wrote:Sparks was the administration's pick when Coach Wood step down.

really? where i'm from that's who selects your coaches, not the parents. they do not control the athletics at any school. if they do then be prepared for some major headaches.
lchsalumnus Wrote:really? where i'm from that's who selects your coaches, not the parents. they do not control the athletics at any school. if they do then be prepared for some major headaches.

I know that. I'm talking about he's the main guy that they went after
Strikeout King Wrote:I know that. I'm talking about he's the main guy that they went after

ok. so what is going on in montgomery county? i've heard they are getting rid of everyone.
^ You heard correct. I heard the only jobs that were safe was the Girls Basketball Coach and Cheer Coach. I heard the rest of them will have changes coming.
The only thing I know is we change principals faster than we do coaches and folks thats saying alot!!! I worked for the school system for three years and everyone I worked with tell me the same thing be glad you didnt come back.
CBW57 Wrote:The only thing I know is we change principals faster than we do coaches and folks thats saying alot!!! I worked for the school system for three years and everyone I worked with tell me the same thing be glad you didnt come back.

CBW57, this isn't a knock or anything to Montgomery County but how can a school be that good in sports but yet be that bad?
Strike out I wish I knew because we have great facilities our programs have parent support and they are athletes in the school that just wont play. I tell kids all the time you only get one chance to be a high school athlete dont let that slip away, but its like talking to a brick wall. I know some wont play because of coaches I also know they are some that just will not pay the price to be a player, just to many other things get in the way I guess. I have coached here in Montgomery for almost twenty years and you see these kids that really could make a diffence not playing for one reason or another and its just disappointing.
CBW57 Wrote:Strike out I wish I knew because we have great facilities our programs have parent support and they are athletes in the school that just wont play. I tell kids all the time you only get one chance to be a high school athlete dont let that slip away, but its like talking to a brick wall. I know some wont play because of coaches I also know they are some that just will not pay the price to be a player, just to many other things get in the way I guess. I have coached here in Montgomery for almost twenty years and you see these kids that really could make a diffence not playing for one reason or another and its just disappointing.

That is true. Once your out of high school your shot at playing high school sports is over and later down the road you look back on that and wish you had played. I do it every day!

I've never been to Montgomery County Sports Complex (Facilities) but I hear they are awesome, especially the new basketball gym that was built
Gene Combs is interviewing with Cavaugh Trent this week about the Knott County Central Job, they talked to Gene last year but could not work it out. Gene would be a great fit if the parents with leave their two cents out of the team. Also Gene's 6'8" Son that will be a Freshman next year will sure help the basketball team. A double recuit, KCC will not be able to turn this down.
If Coach Combs comes to Knott, it will make a lot of trouble for some of the other teams in the 14th. Combs is a great coach and will make Knott an instant contender if allowed to do the job.
Interesting.Combs would make Knott very competitive.He's big on fundamentals and is well respected in the area for getting teams mentally prepared.Great for Knott if this is true.