Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle Co. 1 #12Danville 0
"Both starting pitchers brought it in this game. With half a dozen college coaches looking on, Whittle and Danville’s Rob Caudill mowed their opponents down in a classic duel."

AMNews Story
First, the game was in the hands of a freshman pitcher, whose charge was to come in from the bullpen to retire the area’s best power hitter for the game’s final out.
Then the ball was in the hands of the left fielder, and suddenly a patch of grass between the foul line and the visitors’ bullpen was the place to be for Boyle County.
The Rebels couldn’t wait to get there after the left fielder’s diving catch gave the reliever the one out he needed to give Boyle a 1-0 victory over Danville on Thursday at Rebel Field.
Before Jacob Preston could get to his feet after running down a fly ball to give reliever Addison Coffey the final out, his teammates were coming toward him at a dead run to celebrate a victory that they said could change their season.
“I think it will help us show that we have what it takes to beat good ball teams, that we have what it takes to be a good ball team,” said pitcher Casey Whittle, who threw 6 2/3 shutout innings before Coffey and Preston finished off the win. “This can possibly be a turnaround for us. We can always say, ‘Remember Danville. Remember the effort we had against Danville.’”
It wasn’t just about beating Danville, although the Rebels (3-3, 1-0 45th District) surely enjoyed handing the 12th-ranked Admirals (8-1, 1-1) their first loss. Rather, it was about trying to get a signature victory in the midst of an early-season schedule packed with tough opponents.
“I¿knew we were going to take some bumps and bruises early, but when you can win one of these games against a top-15 team like Danville, a crosstown rival, that keeps you going for sure,” Boyle coach Kyle Wynn said. “You need that win, because you doubt yourself a little bit. You get that win and you make sure that they know, ‘Hey, you can compete at a high level.’ Now we have to bring it every day.”
Both starting pitchers brought it in this game. With half a dozen college coaches looking on, Whittle and Danville’s Rob Caudill mowed their opponents down in a classic duel.
Whittle scattered six singles and pitched out of trouble twice. Caudill struck out 15 batters in six innings, but Boyle used the only two hits he gave up to push across a first-inning run.
“I’m pleased with it. He pitched a great game. I¿came out saying, ‘I¿don’t have anyone to impress. I¿just want to get the job done and get the win for my team,’”¿Whittle said.
The last man standing on the mound, however, was Coffey, brought in to face Danville slugger Andrew Lasure with the bases loaded after Whittle had walked the bases loaded.
“I know there were some doubters out there, but Addison’s a kid who’s a freshman by grade, but obviously he’s not on the mound,” Wynn said. “I¿told him earlier in the day that he was going to be in relief tonight, and he was pumped. I asked him before that last inning, ‘Are you ready to go?’ and he said, ‘Absolutely.’ He wants the ball, and that’s what you want.”
Coffey said he knew he was coming into a tight spot, but he also knew he wasn’t alone.
“My defense is behind me every time I step on the mound. I know they’ve got me in good hands no matter what I’m doing,” he said.
Preston proved that by running down Lasure’s fly ball, which carried well into foul territory.
“I¿was just running. I¿wasn’t even sure I¿could get to it, really,”¿he said.
Once he did, his teammates got to him almost as quickly.
“I¿don’t think I’ve ever run any faster,” Whittle said. “I was so happy, and that’s just a great effort. I feel like that summarizes our whole team effort today. We may not have hit the ball as well as we’d like, but ... it’s not always going to happen, so defense makes up for that.”
Danville coach Paul Morse said the Admirals made things easy for Whittle and Boyle’s defense by swinging at first pitches far too often.http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...ory?page=2
Danville 000 000 0 — 0 6 1
Boyle County 100 000 x — 1 2 0
Rob Caudill and Andrew Lasure. Casey Whittle, Addison Coffey (7) and Clay Young. W—Whittle (2-0). L—Caudill (2-1). S—Young. 2B—Kody Ross (BC). 3B—Josiah Robbins (BC).