Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demling's Top 10 players at Sweet 16
Top 10 players at Sweet 16
Posted on March 21, 2012 by Jody Demling

Looking back there was a lot of individual talent in the boys’ Sweet 16 last week in Rupp Arena.

Some of the top prospects played up to par, while others didn’t play well or didn’t last long with their team.

I had our high school writer, Jason Frakes, help me try and identify the top players in the event.

Here’s our take on the top 10 and remember some top players might not be listed. For example, Derek Willis of Bullitt East only played one game and was 3 of 15 shooting from the field in the game.

Here’s the top players:

• 1. Nathan Dieudonne, Trinity: The Boston University signee led the tournament in points (70) and rebounds (33) and won MVP honors. He also likely wrapped up what looked to be – before the Sweet 16 – a very tight Mr. Basketball race with the big-time performance on the state’s biggest stage.

• 2. Tamron Manning, Scott County: The Marshall signee is – in my opinion – the only other of the five Mr. Basketball finalists with a shot to win the award after the tournament. He had 56 points and eight steals, including 28 points in the title game loss.

• 3. Charles Foster, Trinity: The Morehead State University is perhaps the state’s best on-ball defender and was solid in the Sweet 16. Foster was 10 of 19 from three-point range in four games and finished with 59 points, 24 rebounds and nine assists.

• 4. Isaiah Ivey, Scott County: The Gardner-Webb signee came up big-time in several games when Manning was in foul trouble. He can score, rebound and defend. He’s a talented kid with a bright future.

• 5. David Kapinga, Southwestern: The sophomore transfer from Canada ran the show for the Warriors. He can score, pass and defend and has excellent speed. He’s a talented kid and we’ll hear a lot more from him in the coming years.

• 6. D.J. Townsend, Rowan County: He carried the Vikings with Evansville signee Adam Wing struggling with his shot. Townsend runs the point but gets to the rim, can hit from outside and is really active. He’s an unsigned senior.

• 7. Adam Fatkin, Clark County: Perhaps the best player not known as well statewide. Fatkin averaged 18 points in two games for the Cardinals.

• 8. Jordan Majors, Hopkinsville: Of all the teams that lost in the first round, Majors was the one that did a lot for his team and worked his tail off. The Tigers were young and disappointed in their effort overall, but this junior showed out.

• 9. Troy Saxton, Trinity: The Huntsville-Alabama signee had seven three-point field goals and 13 assists for the Shamrocks. When they needed a big play, Saxton was there.

• 10. Zach Davis, Knott County Central: The Patriots have a lot of young talent that played well but the senior is the rock of the team for Knott. He did a little bit of everything and carried them in the first half of the first-round win.

Again, a lot of guys that could have made the list.

Also impressive at times were Trinity’s James Quick and Darryl Hicks; Clark County’s Bopper Stenzel; Bullitt East’s Derek Willis and Rusty Troutman; Southwestern’s Justin Edwards; Rowan County’s Jason Egan; Johnson Central’s Shane Hall; John Hardin’s Brandon Price and Scott County’s Trent Gilbert.

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/jodydem...-sweet-16/
So proud of GRC's Adam Fatkin for making the top 10 list of players. One of the most under rated players in the state this year. Pre-season by Cats Pause he wasn't even listed as a top 10 player in the 10th.

Also very proud of Bopper Stenzel as being mention. Glad to see these players get some recongition.
Where in the world is Camron Justice?! The kid is a freshman and can score on ANYone, pretty much do anything he wants on the floor and no one is going to stop him. I think he definitely deserves to be on this list, and top 7.

Glad to see Davis on this list though.
vundy33 Wrote:Where in the world is Camron Justice?! The kid is a freshman and can score on ANYone, pretty much do anything he wants on the floor and no one is going to stop him. I think he definitely deserves to be on this list, and top 7.

Glad to see Davis on this list though.

i think he is just going on what he seen during the games there. camron sat out most of the first game with foul trouble and didnt to much the second game either.
wood_chuck Wrote:i think he is just going on what he seen during the games there. camron sat out most of the first game with foul trouble and didnt to much the second game either.

Ohh, ok. I thought it was a ranking of the best players, not just the best of the tourny. Makes sense then.