Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Rumor)Somerset Job Open
I just heard from a very reliable source that Somerset's boys head coach resigned today as well as their girls head coach. This is all I have heard. Wonder who they have in mind to hire. Hoping that Norm Peterson or RoShambo might have more on this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
This has been confirmed as being accurate. Friend had an e-mail from the Somerset principal.
Not a rumor, but a fact.
GetChili Wrote:This has been confirmed as being accurate. Friend had an e-mail from the Somerset principal.

Thanks for the confirmation! Do you know if they have any candidates for the job yet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I haven't heard any details as far as that goes, but a lot of the talk I've heard is that it could be Jeff Cothron. I would love to see him get a head coaching job, but I'm not for sure if he is even considering taking a coaching gig.
GetChili Wrote:I haven't heard any details as far as that goes, but a lot of the talk I've heard is that it could be Jeff Cothron. I would love to see him get a head coaching job, but I'm not for sure if he is even considering taking a coaching gig.

Yeah, I would love to see that as well!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
How about Jordan Mann? Former player and Rowan co asst coach..? Why retread with Jeff?
Somerset has been up and down over the past few years.
March 22, 2012
MOVIN’ ON
Somerset High School loses both boys & girls basketball coaches

Chris Harris, Doug Eads & Michael Childers
Commonwealth Journal

Somerset — The local coaching carousel on the high school level is officially in full swing, with yesterday’s abrupt and surprising resignations of Somerset High School’s boy’s head basketball coach Don Daniel and the Lady Jumpers head coach Chris Adkins.

Wes Cornett, principal at Somerset High School, told the Commonwealth Journal that both coaches decided to resign during the postseason meetings he had with each man.

“I met with them both, we talked about the program and where we were,” said Cornett. “Both of them decided to resign, and I supported that decision. They were very gracious, and were both looking forward to moving on.”

Cornett said that both Adkins and Daniel felt the resignations were “in the best interests of the program.”

The principal also confirmed that there were no scandals that had anything to do with the resignations, and that he would not characterize the result each coach delivered as a “disappointment,” though “obviously we would have wanted to be more successful in both areas” as far as the boys’ and girls’ programs.

“I have high expectations for our staff and coaches,” said Cornett. “Yes, we felt we wanted to go deeper into the All ‘A’ and into the district and region tournaments, and it didn’t happen. We could have done better.”

Daniel coached at Somerset for four seasons, replacing Shawn Thacker who resigned after the 2007-’08 campaign to take the same position at Rowan County — the same school Daniel resigned from when he accepted the head coaching position at Somerset.

After four years of trying to rekindle some of the magic that Thacker had brought to the Jumpers during his tenure, Daniel pointed out that yesterday’s announcement of his resignation certainly came at the right time.

“I’m really at peace with this decision — I really am,” stated Daniel last night from his home.

“I know we didn’t finish this past season as strong as we wanted, but with the exception of the Casey County game in the district tournament, the other games in that stretch I believe were ‘could have’s or ‘might have’s,” Daniel added. “We lost to a regional champion in North Laurel by one point, we lost to a very good Pulaski County team in overtime, and we lost by one or two points at Adair County when they shot 37 free throws and we shot six. Now the Casey game, there’s no denying we should have won that game.”

The stretch Daniel was referring to was the 10-game losing streak Somerset ended the season with — a season that looked to be filled with such promise in early-January when the Briar Jumpers record stood at a very respectable 11-4.

But, there was that 10-game losing streak that ended the year, which culminated in a very abysmal, 55-53 loss to a 3-26 Casey County team in the opening round of the Boy’s 47th District Tournament.

With that loss, Daniel’s career won-loss record at Somerset fell to 36-72, for a winning percentage of only .333.

Under Daniel, Somerset — once a mainstay at the All A State Tournament — never won an All A regional crown to get back to the state tourney for Kentucky’s smaller schools, and he never got the Jumpers to a 12th Regional Tournament appearance, as Somerset could not get out of the rugged 47th District.

Against arch-rivals Southwestern and Pulaski County, Somerset struggled as well during Daniel’s helm.

Somerset went 1-7 against the Warriors in Daniel’s four years on the job, and went only 1-9 against PC — which included the last eight meetings against the Maroons.

Apparently, the lack of success in the post season as well as against Somerset’s two most bitter rivals was more than enough for the Somerset coach to see it was time to step down from his post as the Jumpers head coach.

“Let’s just say I could see the writing on the wall,” said Daniel.

“I know our record was not what we wanted it to be, but I’m as confident today as I’ve ever been about my ability to coach the game of basketball,” Daniel added. “Now, having said that, I’m not saying there were not people in the building that didn’t want to see me fired. But, I know I did my best, but at the same time I know it was probably time for me to step down, and that’s why I’m at peace with this decision. Sure, I wish we could have won more games and enjoyed more success than we did, but it just wasn’t meant to be I guess.”

As for his immediate future, Daniel says he has no plans whatsoever to leave the Somerset area.

“I have no plans at all to move my family and put them through another move,” Daniel said.

“My family has always been very supportive of me, and I’m not going to put them through it,” he added. “Now, down the road if somebody wants me, or would have me as their coach, I would certainly listen. I’m not ready to say that I will never coach again. As for now though, I have no plans at all to leave Somerset.”

Adkins, who spent a half a dozen years as the Lady Jumpers coach, finished with an overall record of 83-75. Out of the six seasons he was there, Adkins’ Lady Jumpers had four winning seasons, with his team winning 17 games on two different occasions.

"I'm getting old,” he said regarding the resignation. “I feel like it's time. There's a lot of things in my personal life and it's just time."

The Lady Jumpers struggled in postseason play, but a lot of that had to do with them being in arguably the toughest district in the entire state of Kentucky. The 47th District — comprised of Rockcastle County, Casey County, Pulaski County, and Somerset — has had recent postseason success as a whole at the state level with Casey County making to the Final Four in 2009 and Rockcastle County making it the Final Four in 2010 and winning a state title in 2011.

With those two teams making noise at the State Tournament, it was even tougher for Somerset — a Class A school — to make out of the district, as only the top two teams advance out of the district tournament. Despite being outnumbered by those bigger schools, Adkins’ teams had success during his tenure as the Somerset hoops coach.

Somerset, under Adkins' direction, did well in their smaller school tournament, which was the 12th Region All “A” Classic. In fact, the Lady Jumpers tallied three regional titles and made three trips to the Touchstone Energy All “A” State Tournament. The ‘Purple and Gold’ won regional banners in 2007, 2010, and this past season, 2012.

Over the past few seasons, Somerset has had the worst luck as far as injuries go. In each of Adkins’ six seasons, Somerset has one had one player go through some type of injury that affected the Lady Jumpers in a big way.

“I never felt like it was a job, it was something that I thoroughly enjoyed doing — it was my passion,” said Adkins. “I had nothing but the best interest in the program from the day I started coaching middle school girls almost 20 years ago. These last six years, it's just been icing on the cake.

“When Mr. (Jeff) Perkins and Mr. (Wilson) Sears gave me the opportunity to run the program, it was something that I had been thinking about for a while and it worked out.”

Adkins said that he’s “thoroughly enjoyed” the memories he’s made and that the wins and losses pale in comparison to the relationships he’s formed.

“You cry when they cry and you're happy when they're happy,” he said. “I appreciate the opportunity of being able to coach as long as I have, and I thank all of the kids and their parents that have supported me and have been a part of the Lady Jumper tradition.”

Cornett said that hopes are to have new coaches hired by May, and he will post the open position for applicants to see for 30 days, as required by the state. He also said that he will head the interview committee, and that athletic director Bob Tucker will assist in that task.

“We want to get the right person for these positions and move on with the program,” said Cornett. “We have a lot of kids coming back, and a lot of students walking the halls who could be playing, and to get some of these students on the court, that is our goal.”

And what about making the kind of splashy hire that crosstown rival Southwestern did in bringing on a state champion coach in Steve Wright? Cornett said that he is “definitely thinking of a hire of that caliber.”

Added Cornett, “We do want that kind of coach here, and hopefully we can attract them. That’s something that’s very important to me personally and professionally: bringing in someone that the kids can respect both morally and technically and as a basketball mind.”

http://somerset-kentucky.com/local/x1862285828/MOVIN-ON
Somerset now has to replace the Boy's and Girl's Soccer Coach, the volleyball coach and both basketball coaches. It will be hard to find enough teaching positions for that many hires.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Somerset now has to replace the Boy's and Girl's Soccer Coach, the volleyball coach and both basketball coaches. It will be hard to find enough teaching positions for that many hires.

I think they should bring back Steve Wallace as the soccer coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Norm Peterson Wrote:Somerset now has to replace the Boy's and Girl's Soccer Coach, the volleyball coach and both basketball coaches. It will be hard to find enough teaching positions for that many hires.

That's very true. It's going to be an interesting offseason for the whole SHS athletics department.
Mountain Wrote:Somerset has been up and down over the past few years.

Minus the up. I too would like to see Cothron take the job.
Rumor has it Cothron and AD Bob Tucker have been in talks about the head coaching job. I would love to see this as I believe Cothron is the best in-game coach in Pulaski County. Haven't heard of any other real candidates, Skaggs from Somerset Christian was reportedly interested but I doubt Tucker gives him much of a look.
I think a young coach is what Somerset needs. I know Jordan Mann from Rowan County is a former Jumper and would probably have some interest in being a head coach, especially at his former school.
They should hire Tim Rice from SW Pulaski. He used to coach boys.
therealcoach Wrote:I think a young coach is what Somerset needs. I know Jordan Mann from Rowan County is a former Jumper and would probably have some interest in being a head coach, especially at his former school.

D.T. for once you might be on to something. However, what does Jordan teach? Teaching spots are going to be hard to come by. If it is only PE there is not likely to be a spot open.
Tim Rice might just be the man. Hearing he is looking for a way out of SW with all the parents there might need some counseling.
Heard that also. Word is he is interested in Pikeville High School Girls position. I was told he was in Pikeville area over spring break. Shame some crazy parents might run off a successful coach. They better be careful what they wish for, they might get it.
Norm Peterson Wrote:D.T. for once you might be on to something. However, what does Jordan teach? Teaching spots are going to be hard to come by. If it is only PE there is not likely to be a spot open.

Who are you referring to when you say D.T., if you are referring to who i think you are all i will ask is why. If you are referring to who i think you are he is realfanreturns on bluegrass preps, not realcoach on here. I can promise you that D.T. would not be suggesting Coach Mann apply for the SHS job. I honestly beleive that he does not really care who gets that job. If you are referring to someone else i apologize for commenting. I just know that some folks in Somerset has had an issue with D.T. ever since they relocated, and there seems to be some related factors in your post.
What's the schedule looking like for the Jumpers? They should be pretty good they only lost 2 players from last year's team
Not for on the schedule, but the Jumpers could be an even better team, depending on who the next coach will be.
lillianhidgepork Wrote:Tim Rice might just be the man. Hearing he is looking for a way out of SW with all the parents there might need some counseling.

Heard yesterday that Rice was offered the job. Heard he told them he needed a few days to think about it. Can anyone verify this?
I personally talked to Coach Rice today and he is not going anywhere and never considered the ShS job. He is happy with where he is at, which is at SWHS. Rice won't be going anywhere and will be back on the Lady Warrior sideline this fall.
I think that Somerset should try to make an outside the box hire. A good person for them to go after would be Brent Vernon who was an assistant at U of Cumberlands and the son of former Cumberlands Coach Randy Vernon. That would be a homerun hire for Somerset. EKY High schools need to quit hiring the same old recycled coaches in these jobs. Go for the young energetic outside the box hire.
Bring Jordan Mann home!!!
Any word on a new coach.
They were supposed to be doing interviews late this past week.
I am a player at Somerset High School and tye head coach position has been filled by coach Cothern