Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oldham County 36 - Knott County Central 34 (Sweet 16)
Oldham County wins a thriller
Published March 16, 2012 Basketball Closed
Oldham County star Tyler Wesley scored his only basket and free throw of the game with :03.9 left to give the Colonels a 36-34 victory over Knott County Central in the quarterfinals of the Sweet Sixteen Friday night in Rupp Arena.

Wesley, who was plagued by foul trouble all night, came through in the clutch. After Knott Central’s Zack Davis hit one of two free throws to tie it with 47 seconds left, Oldham County held the ball until the clock ticked under 10 seconds.

Wesley then got the ball near the top of the key and drove to the rim and made a contest layup, and was fouled. He hit the free throw to make it 36-33.

Knott Central had a chance to pull out a victory in a tense final seconds, though.

Oldham County fouled the Patriots’ Zack Davis with :03 left to keep them from trying a three-pointer. Davis made the first free throw, then missed the second on purpose.

Davis grabbed the rebound and was fouled as he attempted a shot with :02 left. He missed the first free throw, however. Davis missed the second deliberately, but this time Knott Central couldn’t get the rebound and Oldham County held on for the victory.

The Colonels will play the Scott County-John Hardin winner in Saturday morning’s semifinals.

Jacob Kopp led Oldham County with 9 points and Garrett Masters had 7.

Davis led Knott Central with 14 points and 10 rebounds. The Patriots shot 29% (8-for-28, including 3-for-12 on threes). They made only 15 of 29 free throws, which ultimately cost them a trip the semifinals.http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/
Disappointed in the free throw shooting at the end.

Congrats on a great season though
Damn it...sorry boys. Get back at it next year. Davis, you and the other seniors will be missed bro.
A really low-scoring game.
I wish all the Knott Seniors the best luck in the world after high school and on there future. Very good players. Very Nice players.
Wer listened to the game..The boys really had thier chances..I feel bad for them..great season..:1:
Wow! A real heartbreaker! Congrats to Knott Central on a great season and a great group of kids! I know their may have been some controversy but, I will always root and be proud of a 14th Region team before any other team!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Wished the Patriots could of pulled it out. Great season for Zach Davis and Seth Adams. The Freshmen did great. Proud of you guys. I will miss watching Zach play. He was the best all around player in the region. Very hard worker.
Free Throws, Free Throws!

Davis, it's been a pleasure watching you buddy!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Allowed Oldham to control the pace of the game from the start. KCC was the better team should be playing tomorrow morning.
Tyler Wesley's three-point play with 3.9 seconds left accounted for his only points Friday. They were the biggest points, though, lifting Oldham County over Knott County Central 36-34 in the quarterfinals of the PNC/KHSAA Boys' State Tournament.

"I was confident in myself to take the last shot," said Wesley, a 6-foot-6 senior who averages 11.2 points. "Because I'd rather have the ball in my hands and control my own destiny. I thought I could make it, and it just turned out that I did.

"I was hoping they didn't call a charge on me because I'd gotten some tough calls earlier."

The Colonels (31-5) advanced to the final four for the third time in school history, and for the first time since 1985.

Rated by Dave Cantrall as No. 5 among Sweet Sixteen teams, Oldham tied the school record for wins in a season.

Defense has been a big reason why. The Colonels were the toughest team in the state to score against, limiting opponents to 45 points a game.

It was no different Friday.

Oldham held Knott Central to 2-for-17 (11.8 percent) shooting in the first half and 8-for-28 (28.6) overall.

Oldham shot just a bit better, 11-for-35 (31.4).

"They basically had us spread it out so far, and those shots weren't falling," Knott Coach B.B. King said of his team's first-half shooting. "... We took some bad shots. Awful bad shots."

Jacob Kopp led the winners with nine points, and Garrett Masters had seven. Kerry Smith grabbed nine rebounds and scored five points.

Wesley, hampered by early fouls, played only 19 minutes.

"It's really frustrating, I'm not going to lie," he said of his time on the bench. "But I just knew I was going to come back in eventually, and I knew, when I came in, I'd have to make a difference somehow, and it just turned out to be in the last three seconds of the game."

No. 13 Knott Central (29-6) got a 14-point, 10-rebound effort from its lone senior starter, Zack Davis.

"The toughest competitor that we've probably played against this year," Oldham Coach Jason Holland said of Davis, who nearly forced overtime.

Tied at 30, Oldham seized the lead when Kopp hit a three-pointer from the top of the key with 2:00 left. Until then, Kopp was 0-for-4 from long range.

"I don't know why they wouldn't guard Jacob, but I looked at him, and I said 'stick it in his face,' " Holland said. "Just that simple. I wanted him to shoot the ball."

Davis hit both halves of a one-and-one with 1:22 left, then fouled Smith with 1:03 on the clock.

Smith missed, Davis grabbed the rebound and, with 48 seconds left, made one of two free throws to tie.

The Colonels held the ball for a last shot.

Wesley, from near the top of the key, slashed down the lane to score and draw the foul.

"We ran a backdoor, and (Holland) told me to fake it to Sam (Gruber)," Wesley said. "So I faked it and then turned around, and (a defender) was on me a little bit, so I pump-faked and tried to drive by."

Davis was fouled with three seconds left.

He made one free throw, then intentionally shot the second hard off the front of the rim.

Davis snared the rebound, went up to shoot and was fouled with 2.3 seconds left.

This time, he missed the first shot.

A second intentional miss came close to working again — Davis got a hand on the ball but couldn't control it.

The Patriots finished 15-for-29 at the free-throw line, while Oldham was 12-for-18.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/16/21141...rylink=cpy
Congrats to KCC on a great season!
Congrats on a great season KCC! You have represented your school, your community and the 14th region well.
Congrats Patriots on a great season. Knott just wasnt agressive at all tonite, I mean they would just stand and pass it around the three point line would not attack the basket at all. Even davis did it pretty much the whole game and thats just not him. It just wasnt the Knott I'm use to watching