Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the State Tournament
After watching UK and IU score 192 points last night this article by Mike Fields of the Lexington paper Thursday is very timely. What do you think this says about the state of high school basketball in Kentucky?

"Rupp Arena was a fairly quiet place last week, not a good thing considering the 95th PNC/KHSAA Sweet Sixteen was going on.

It was the dullest state basketball tournament I've witnessed in the last 37 years. Absolutely zero electricity in the big house. The loudest cheer during the four-day hoopfest came Friday night when it was announced that Duke had lost to Lehigh.

There was only one close game in Rupp, and it wasn't pretty to watch. Oldham County edged Knott County Central 36-34 as the teams missed 44 of 63 shots. It was the fewest points scored by a winning team in the Sweet Sixteen since Henry Clay beat Carlisle County 35-33 in triple-overtime in the 1983 championship game.

Trinity proved convincingly that it was the best team as it won four games by an average of 17.5 points. The Rocks shot the rock well — 49 percent, including 46 percent from three-point range. The other 15 teams shot a combined 39 percent, including 29 percent on threes.

It was torture to watch teams struggle to get 20 points in a half. There were 35 quarters in which a team scored in single digits.

A total of 1,516 points were scored in the tournament, the fewest in more than 50 years. The week before in Bowling Green, the Sweet Sixteen girls' teams scored 174 more points, and hit 98 more shots.

One consistent complaint from coaches, fans (and media) was that the play in Rupp was way too physical. Hand-checking and shoving have eliminated the finesse from the games and given defenses a huge advantage.

Oh, what I'd give to see a free-flowing, up-and-down 85-83 shootout. I don't even fantasize about anybody scoring 100. It's been 15 years since a team hit the century mark in the Sweet Sixteen. (Corbin outgunned Trigg County 105-84 in 1997.) Only five teams have scored 90 points in the last 15 years. Pretty depressing stuff."

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/22/21218...ality.html
Maybe someone should inform our distinguished colleague that this isn't college basketball. As a matter of fact, with 8 minute quarters, the games in the sweet16 would have to add another entire quarter of play to equal the amount of floortime of a college contest. And if he wants change, start a lobby for a shotclock. That would do more to change the outcome score-wise than anything else. Did this same writer say how exciting last years sweet16 was? I doubt it.
One VERY BIG reason the State Championship game lacked fan attendance was that most people stayed at home to watch UK play. That really hurt the attendance at the game, but the KHSAA Sweet 16 is just fine the way it is.
catscards Wrote:After watching UK and IU score 192 points last night this article by Mike Fields of the Lexington paper Thursday is very timely. What do you think this says about the state of high school basketball in Kentucky?

"Rupp Arena was a fairly quiet place last week, not a good thing considering the 95th PNC/KHSAA Sweet Sixteen was going on.

It was the dullest state basketball tournament I've witnessed in the last 37 years. Absolutely zero electricity in the big house. The loudest cheer during the four-day hoopfest came Friday night when it was announced that Duke had lost to Lehigh.

There was only one close game in Rupp, and it wasn't pretty to watch. Oldham County edged Knott County Central 36-34 as the teams missed 44 of 63 shots. It was the fewest points scored by a winning team in the Sweet Sixteen since Henry Clay beat Carlisle County 35-33 in triple-overtime in the 1983 championship game.

Trinity proved convincingly that it was the best team as it won four games by an average of 17.5 points. The Rocks shot the rock well — 49 percent, including 46 percent from three-point range. The other 15 teams shot a combined 39 percent, including 29 percent on threes.

It was torture to watch teams struggle to get 20 points in a half. There were 35 quarters in which a team scored in single digits.

A total of 1,516 points were scored in the tournament, the fewest in more than 50 years. The week before in Bowling Green, the Sweet Sixteen girls' teams scored 174 more points, and hit 98 more shots.

One consistent complaint from coaches, fans (and media) was that the play in Rupp was way too physical. Hand-checking and shoving have eliminated the finesse from the games and given defenses a huge advantage.Oh, what I'd give to see a free-flowing, up-and-down 85-83 shootout. I don't even fantasize about anybody scoring 100. It's been 15 years since a team hit the century mark in the Sweet Sixteen. (Corbin outgunned Trigg County 105-84 in 1997.) Only five teams have scored 90 points in the last 15 years. Pretty depressing stuff."

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/22/21218...ality.html

I watched three games while I was there and what I have bolded is in no way true in those games, the refs were callin everything and I do mean everything, they werent letting anybody get away with anything. The other games may have been rough but def not the games i saw.
It wasn't as exciting as a few of the past years, but in no way was it dull enough to make me complain. i enjoyed the sweet 16 this year

something that the khsaa probably won't like is that 2 of some of the biggest schools in the state, one of them being close by only drew 14,000 fans. however, uk was playing that night
Downtown10 Wrote:I watched three games while I was there and what I have bolded is in no way true in those games, the refs were callin everything and I do mean everything, they werent letting anybody get away with anything. The other games may have been rough but def not the games i saw.

I agree with Downtown. It was painful to watch due to the officials calling every touch foul in the first two rounds. The scores were low because several teams in this year's Sweet 16 elected to play a deliberate slow paced style of play. Marshall County and Oldham County come to mind.
I think some of the better teams got upset in the regionals too. Maybe the KHSAA needs to look at going back and forth between the Yum center and Rupp seemed to keep it a little fresher each year.
I really, really don't think the state tourny should EVER be played in the Yum! Center...or any other Louisville venue for that matter.

Plus, the Yum! is nearly as big as Rupp anyway.
hillmonster Wrote:I think some of the better teams got upset in the regionals too. Maybe the KHSAA needs to look at going back and forth between the Yum center and Rupp seemed to keep it a little fresher each year.

hotel rooms in Louisville are a bit pricey
I would have to agree with Fields to a point... This years State Tourney was the most unexciting I have ever attended. Only games that I found exciting to watch were the games that involved Trinity and Dieudonne.

As for having the tournament in Louisville, unless Rupp gets renovated in the near future I could easily see the new Yum! Center being a real possibility for future events. It is a far better facility than Rupp at this point and the seating for ALL spectators is much, much better.
We should let the Yum center host the Girls state tournament and leave the boys out of the discussion. Just because of the history of RUPP no player will never forget the moment when they first step foot on that court.
During the renovations it may be forced to move to YUM
I was there to see that Corbin/Trigg game.
IMHO, teams arent half as good (atleast here in EKY, especially the 13th region) as they were in the 90's. Watching some of the guys that played at Whitley in the early 90's and Corbin in the late 90's was amazing. The entire 50th district tournament in those years were 100 point affairs.
While i dont agree with his tone, i have to agree with the article, that for the most part high school basketball is down in KY and hass been for a while.
What he didnt mention is how much the game has changed ssince then and what effect that has on todays teams.
One reason attendance is down is due to the economy, its the worst its been in 50 years, and overall the talent is not what it use to be, and some of the better teams lost in the regional tournament and district tournament.
I absolutely love the Sweet 16, no changes needed IMO. I would HATE to see it broke down in classes. There is a reason why its called "Greatest show in Hoops"
MVP2 Wrote:I absolutely love the Sweet 16, no changes needed IMO. I would HATE to see it broke down in classes. There is a reason why its called "Greatest show in Hoops"

Breaking it down into classes would guarantee that Kentucky Basketball would go straight down the drain.

There would be no reason for an All-A Classic.
And I know that growing up around here and supporting the 14th Region as much as I have - it would be horrible not to have those teams go at it every year.

No more Perry Central vs Hazard for the Regional Title...
a lot of big rivalries would be decimated.
zaga_fan Wrote:Breaking it down into classes would guarantee that Kentucky Basketball would go straight down the drain.

And I know that growing up around here and supporting the 14th Region as much as I have - it would be horrible not to have those teams go at it every year.

No more Perry Central vs Hazard for the Regional Title...
a lot of big rivalries would be decimated.

:Thumbs:
zaga_fan Wrote:Breaking it down into classes would guarantee that Kentucky Basketball would go straight down the drain.

No more Perry Central vs Hazard for the Regional Title...a lot of big rivalries would be decimated.

I dont think we will have to worry about that for a few years anyway. :biggrin: