Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sign Of the Times
Encyclopedia Britannica to stop printing books

After 244 years, Encyclopedia Britannica will cease production of its iconic multi-volume book sets.
Britannica usually prints a new set of the tomes every two years, but 2010's 32-volume set will be its last. Instead, the company will focus solely on its digital encyclopedia and education tools.
http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/13/technolo...?hpt=hp_t3
Another iconic part of our past soon will become history. :happytear:
^Why turn a page? When you can click a button. Sad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
It is sad. When I was student teaching, a student in my 4th grade class said that he could not do any research because all the computers were taken. I told him to get an encyclopedia. He did not know what an encyclopedia was. I spent the next 10 minutes teaching him how to use an ecyclopedia.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^
IMHO, computers should be taken out of elementary schools completely.
^I agree!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
You guys had books in elementary? We was told the county couldn't afford then so our teacher bought hers personally. And its still happening here.
Next to be gone are libraries......my son received a zero on a paper once. When asked why he didn't turn it in, "our printer wasn't working so I couldn't print it off"....my response, "ever heard of pencil and paper?"...

When I was in school I enjoyed going to a shelf of Encyclopedias to research what my report was on. Typically I would find myself reading about other topics along the way.
I couldn't afford a set of Britannica, so I saved Kroger coupons and, over time, bought an entire set of Funk & Wagonal!
LOL
Wonder if I could sell those at an antique store.
Adapt or Die. <---------------------- LOL