Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin Co. 63 Ashland 59
Final!!! Way to go Lady Hornets!!!!!!

Castle 24
Reed 21 12 boards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Congrats!! Magoffin county needs that.
Congrats MC! I called this one wrong.
^Yep....Way to have faith in your 57th/15th family.

Never mind. I forgot. You guys are 16th at heart.

Sorry...lol.

Just felt like being a smart ass...lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
^ yep... you are good at that. lol
^The way I look at it.

I would rather be a smart one than a dumb one...lol!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
Congrats Lady hornets
MAGOFFIN COUNTY 63, ASHLAND BLAZER 59: Jamie Castle has 24 points and Madison Reed has 21 to power Magoffin County to victory. Reed also had 12 rebounds, and Morgan Connelley had 11 rebounds. Sydney Cullop had 17 points for Ashland.
Congrats to Magoffin County! The two sophomores were impressive.
I didn't know it until just a few minutes ago, this in Magoffin's first ever win down state. I thought the last group of girls that went down a few years ago had, but my buddy says no. Good on these girls.
Great win for the hornets, the county really needed this.
Congrats to Magoffin.. Congrats to Coach Miller he's a good coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats Magoffin!
Very solid team and a GREAT win for the community!!!
A little sloppy I thought. Jazzy missed quite a few shots she normally makes and had a few turn overs. Common for a young player. IMO, she will settle down and play much better tomorrow.

GREAT job Lady Hornets! Keep it rolling!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
Tough loss for the ladies and coaches, but Ashland has a lot of talent coming back for the next several seasons. And hats off the Magoffin County. Those girls and that community have been through a lot the last week and anything that might bring a smile to those people, I am for it.
I was extremely wrong on this one. I think Ashland may have been a little overrated. Let's face it they are 1 for 6 in big games. Need to come up with a offense that sets some screens for your big girls and your shooters. If everyone is back they could b good again if they can just find a offense. CONGRATS TO MCGOFFIN
Congrats magffin. Keep it goin!
Very tough loss for Bradley's Bunch. Congrats to Magoffin County, you played hard and deserved this win because you earned it.
BOWLING GREEN, KY. — Less than a week after a tornado destroyed much of its hometown, the Magoffin County High School girls’ basketball team used a lot of emotion and heart to get going in the Houchens Industries/KHSAA Girls’ Sweet 16.

And then Jamie Castle and Madison Reed took over.

The guards combined for 45 points, including 31 in the second half, and the Lady Hornets hit 11 of 14 free throws in the final 1:29 to pull out a 63-59 victory over Ashland Blazer before about 4,000 fans in E.A. Diddle Arena.

“We’re small, undersized and undermanned, but we don’t quit,” coach Steve Miller said. “But we are Magoffin. That’s who we are, and we will fight.”

The victory was emotional for the 15th Region champion Lady Hornets (29-4).http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...59?Avis=B2

“I am incredibly proud of our basketball team and the effort they have given us these past few games,” Miller said. “ ... These young ladies and our community deserve all the credit of what we have accomplished the past several days. I am fortunate to be part of it.”

The ride will continue today. Magoffin County will take a 16-game winning streak into a 9 o’clock quarterfinal game against Lincoln County.

“The kids knew what we were going to do,” Miller said. “The last thing I told them before we crawled back on the bus to come back over here and watch the afternoon session, I said, ‘Now, we didn’t come down here just to show up and get a T-shirt and then go to the house. We came down here to represent, win a basketball game or a couple of basketball games and keep playing until finally we are beaten out.’

“We’re just taking it one step at a time.”

Ashland (29-7) led 28-23 at halftime and by eight points early in the third quarter, getting a lot of points in transition.

But Miller made a defensive switch to cut down the Kittens’ running game.

“We limited their opportunities in the fast break, and that was the difference in the game,” Miller said. “We only sent two players to the offensive boards, and everybody else was supposed to retreat and try and stop their fast break.”
Ashland 8 20 11 20 - 59
Magoffin County 14 9 20 20 - 63 Ashland (29-7) - Cullop 17, Heaberlin 4, Gambill 9, Farris 6, Robinson 12, Foutch 2, Slone 6, Jones 3Magoffin County (29-4) - Arnett 6, Connelley 1, Fletcher 2, Castle 24, Reed 21, Howard 93-point goals - Gambill 1, Jones 1, Reed 1
Here is a link to over 300 phots of the game last night.

http://www.ihigh.com/khsaa/gallery_77747...rrentPhoto
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
The Independent

BOWLING GREEN — Jamie Castle and Madison Reed combined for 45 points to lead Magoffin County past Ashland, 63-59, in the first round of the Houchens Industrries KHSAA Girls State Tournament on Thursday night.

Castle scored 24 and Reed 21 for the Lady Hornets, who are playing for a town that was ravaged by last Friday's tornado.

The Kittens (29-7) led 28-23 at the half but Magoffin County went ahead for good in the third quarter. Ashland fought back but couldn't overtake the Lady Hornets.

Sydney Cullop led Ashland with 17 points.

Magoffin County plays again Friday in the quarterfinals.
http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...es-Kittens
March 9, 2012
Hornets sting Kittens
Magoffin County keeps lifting the spirits of storm-ravaged community

Rocky Stanley
The Independent

BOWLING GREEN — Magoffin County’s girls’ basketball players keep doing the seemingly impossible.

That is, lifting the spirits of their devastated community.

Thursday night, the Lady Hornets knocked off Ashland 63-59 at Western Kentucky University for their first-ever Sweet Sixteen victory.

“I want to say how incredibly proud I am of this basketball team, and the effort it’s taken over the last couple of days after a catastrophe,” coach Steve Miller said.

Magoffin County, making only its second State Tournament appearance, won the 15th Region title on Monday — just three days after tornadoes ravaged the Salyersville area leaving staggering property damage.

Before Thursday’s tipoff, players, coaches and cheerleaders from both schools gathered in a large circle in the middle of the court. The teams, as well as others in Diddle Arena, held up state flag paper signs as the public address announcer read a statement from the Kentucky High School Athletic Association.

In part, it said, “We enjoy success together as one and overcome tragedy together as one, as we have a common heritage and identity. We are Kentuckians.”

Then Magoffin County went out and put on a performance that had its fans standing and applauding.

Sophomores Jamie Castle and Madison Reed combined for 45 points to send the Lady Hornets into tonight’s quarterfinals against Lincoln County, a 56-50 overtime winner against Clay County.

Castle, the team’s 5-foot-2 sparkplug, sat out all of the second quarter with two fouls but still finished with a game-high 24 points. She made four consecutive free throws after Ashland closed to 52-51 with 1:45 remaining.

Asked to put all of her feelings in perspective, Castle didn't hesitate.

“You go through town and it’s heartbreaking,” she said. “We just said we’ve got to do this for our county, pull together.”

Reed, a 5-7 forward, had trouble finding words but her play spoke volumes. She scored 13 in the third quarter as the Lady Hornets overcame a 28-23 halftime deficit. When the final horn sounded, Reed had 21 points — 8.5 above her season average — along with a dozen rebounds.

Magoffin County’s latest inspired outing extended the team’s winning streak to 16 games. The team hasn't lost since Jan. 27 in the second round of the state All “A” Classic.

“Hats off to coach Miller,” Ashland coach Bill Bradley said. “I thought he called a great game. With what they’ve been through the last two weeks — Morgan County has been devastated also — it’s a real tribute to their program and community. They just outplayed us tonight.”

While Magoffin County (29-4) made big shots and key free throws, Ashland struggled offensively. The Kittens shot a frosty 24-for-77 from the field, including 2-of-16 behind the 3-point line.

“I don't know how many inside (shots) we missed,” Bradley said.

Magoffin County used an 11-0 run in the first half to go up 16-8, but Sydney Cullop led a surge that put the Kittens back in front. Cullop scored seven of her team-high 17 points in the second quarter, capped by a three-point play to make it 28-22.

Ashland couldn’t sustain the momentum, however. Two minutes into the second half, Castle was fouled while making a scoop shot and converted the three-point play. It started a 12-0 roll that ended with Reed’s 3-pointer.

Miller said the difference in the second half was Magoffin County’s ability to limit Ashland’s fast-break opportunities.

“We only sent two players to the (offensive) board,” Miller said. “I told everybody else to get back.”

Alexis Robinson had 12 points for Ashland and Kaylyn Gambill added nine.

The Kittens’ season ended at 29-7. They won their fifth consecutive district title and beat all three 16th Region Tournament opponents by double digits.

“We had an unbelievable year,” Bradley said. “We came close to a school record, if not setting it, with 29 wins.”

http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...ng-Kittens
Six days after suffering through the devastation of tornadoes in the community of Salyersville, Magoffin County provided its fans with a bit of relief in a thrilling 63-59 victory over Ashland Blazer in the opening round of the Houchens Industries/KHSAA Girls' Sweet Sixteen on Thursday at E.A. Diddle Arena.
Jamie Castle scored 24 points and Madison Reed added 21 points and 12 rebounds, helping Magoffin County (29-4) advance to tonight's quarterfinals against Lincoln County.
Magoffin County trailed 33-25 after a lay-up by Mykal Farris with 6:08 left in the third quarter before using a 12-0 run to surge ahead.
Ashland Blazer pulled even 43-43 with 6:13 left after a basket by Alexis Robinson. Magoffin scored the next six points to take the lead for good. The Kittens got as close as 52-51 with 1:45, but the Lady Hornets scored the next seven points to put the game away.
Magoffin County committed 19 turnovers, but held Ashland to 31.2 percent shooting.
Sydney Cullop led the Kittens with 17 points.
Lincoln County 56, Clay County 50, overtime
Emily Fox's free throw with nine seconds left in regulation forced overtime and the Lady Patriots opened the extra session with a 9-2 spurt to pick up for the first state tournament win in school history.
The game featured 15 lead changes, with no lead larger than four points until overtime.
Fox and Sydney Harris had 15 points each for Lincoln County (25-9), while Kourtney Belcher added 11 points.
Cheyenne Madden had 19 points for Clay County (31-6), while Morgan Chestnut finished with 14 points.http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/magoff...963f4.html