Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On birth control, GOP men out of touch
On Birth Control, GOP Male Leaders Woefully Out of Touch, Except With Other GOP Men

Quote:Republican male leaders have become sneeringly, cartoonishly out of touch with women, even those in their own party.

Today a Congressional hearing ignited when House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (CA) refused to seat a female witness after hearing an all-male panel of birth control coverage opponents, calling the witness unqualified.

Not to be outdone, Foster Friess, the financial backer of Republican Presidential candidate (and known contraception-hater) Rick Santorum, wistfully recalled the days when "gals" held "Bayer Aspirin between their knees" as a method of contraception.

You would be right to wonder, "What are they thinking?" Well, they do not seem to be thinking with an eye to the general election, as only Republican men oppose full coverage of birth control. In yesterday's CBS/NYT poll, two-thirds of voters support this coverage. The kind folks at the New York Times provided us with breakouts by gender and party, which appear in the chart below. Note that Republican women support full birth control coverage, and independents feel more like Democrats.

Yesterday I wrote about the consistent support for birth control coverage and basically all (99 percent) women who have had sex have also used birth control. If Republicans think it is politically advantageous to mock women, shut them out of the political process, and deny access to care that 99 percent of them use, then they are in even worse shape headed into November than we thought.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/margie-ome...=@pollster

[Image: http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-02...cchart.gif]
Out of touch with what? Certainly not the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Could we say that, prior to the Civil War, those who opposed slavery were "woefully out of touch"? CBS/New York Times and Huffington? Why not just use NARAL, Planned Parenthood, or Obama?
Huffington Post huh?....lol
Bob Seger Wrote:Huffington Post huh?....lol
Huffington reprinting a CBS/New York Times poll. Does it matter who the reporter is, if the poll is correct? 1197 people were polled, and that is the view of the ones sampled.
Truth Wrote:Out of touch with what? Certainly not the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Could we say that, prior to the Civil War, those who opposed slavery were "woefully out of touch"? CBS/New York Times and Huffington? Why not just use NARAL, Planned Parenthood, or Obama?
Like I said, if the poll reflects the correct view of how people feel, does it make it any less correct? 1197 people nationwide were asked this question, "Do you support or oppose a recent federal requirement that private health insurance plans cover the full cost of birth control for their female patients?" The poll reflects how they answered. Don't shoot the messenger, but just be prepared when these type of people vote in November.
TheRealVille Wrote:Huffington reprinting a CBS/New York Times poll. Does it matter who the reporter is, if the poll is correct? 1197 people were polled, and that is the view of the ones sampled.

I think it makes a huge difference in a poll to know where the geographic location was in which the people polled are in. In some cases you can throw party affiliation out the window. For example those polled in the south I think would reflect an entirely different result then say one with people that were polled in the northeast or in California even when their stated political prefence is the same.

Also I am not so sure that you would get announced results from either CBS/NY Times if it were in opposition to what their own liberal views are to begin with. Do they have votes that get thrown out to make it look like they want it to look? Perhaps there was 3,000 people polled to begin with? That said, I am not sure that there are any poll out there that is completely unbiased and unmolested. I suspect tinkering in all of them.

It's just like the Rasmussen poll that I made a thread on. Who knows how accurate any of them are. I am sure you can find another poll out there whose results are the exact opposite of what Rasmussen reports. They are all just like polititians. I personally dont put much stock or trust in any of them.
How was the question worded? What "discussion" took place prior to asking the question?

You can word a poll so as to get pretty much whatever result you want. That is common knowledge.

Obviously, as part of the Obama Network, CBS/NYT are less that "neutral".

By the way, TheRealVille, you never addressed my query concerning slavery prior to the Civil War. Were those, a definite minority, who opposed slavery "woefully out of touch"? How about the minutely small minority who supported homosexual rights? Were they also "woefully out of touch"? And, of course, the small minority who supported allowing women to vote. Were they also "woefully out of touch"?
I have to say that I do not see a problem with requiring private health plans to pay for the full cost of birth control...this doesn't mean those women have to take it. It just means that if they want it, it's free.

And a huge reason alot of women take birth control is to help regulate their menstrual cycle. I really have no idea what the big deal is, and Santorum is my man right now, but if he gets any more radical on this topic, he might lose me.

I'm starting to think that the Republicans and Democrats are just finding something to argue about...our lawmakers are arguing about this? Really?? Gah..give me a break...we have more serious things to get done.
Truth Wrote:Out of touch with what? Certainly not the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Could we say that, prior to the Civil War, those who opposed slavery were "woefully out of touch"? CBS/New York Times and Huffington? Why not just use NARAL, Planned Parenthood, or Obama?

Truth Wrote:Were those, a definite minority, who opposed slavery "woefully out of touch"? How about the minutely small minority who supported homosexual rights? Were they also "woefully out of touch"? And, of course, the small minority who supported allowing women to vote. Were they also "woefully out of touch"?

lol...did you really just compare the birth control debate to 1850's slavery, Women's rights (oh how ironic), and homosexual's rights?

And by the way, Truth, you never addressed my query as to how you think we have withdrawn from Afghanistan and that the Taliban is returning Afghan to ANYTHING even remotely close to what it was prior to our intervention?
vundy33 Wrote:I have to say that I do not see a problem with requiring private health plans to pay for the full cost of birth control...this doesn't mean those women have to take it. It just means that if they want it, it's free.

And a huge reason alot of women take birth control is to help regulate their menstrual cycle. I really have no idea what the big deal is, and Santorum is my man right now, but if he gets any more radical on this topic, he might lose me.

I'm starting to think that the Republicans and Democrats are just finding something to argue about...our lawmakers are arguing about this? Really?? Gah..give me a break...we have more serious things to get done.

Nothing is ever "free" when it comes to insurance companies. It is all calculated into the cost of your insurance premiums whether it be paid by someone that has an individual policy or is paid by the employer (which further increases the cost to do business in this country). Bottom line, rest assured that it is not "free" by any means. How about each individual in this country be held personally accountable and responsible for their own actions and activities and the consequences that are derived from each?
Bob Seger Wrote:Nothing is ever "free" when it comes to insurance companies. It is all calculated into the cost of your insurance premiums whether it be paid by someone that has an individual policy or is paid by the employer (which further increases the cost to do business in this country). Bottom line, rest assured that it is not "free" by any means. How about each individual in this country be held personally accountable and responsible for their own actions and activities and the consequences that are derived from each?

But it's free for the women receiving it, who are the ones trying to prevent pregnancy in the first place. I'm sure that adding birth control to the list of things private healthcare covers wouldn't be breaking anyone up...nearly everyone who gets it gets it from the government already anyway.

And I agree with that. But as I said, it has it's medical benefits. What would you rather have, more females getting preggo and having abortions, giving the child up for adoption, or the kid suffering because of it's shitty parents...or would you have most of those pregnancies never happen to begin with?

I don't get it...you are against abortion, but not sure if you're against the idea of birth control or it being paid for by private insurance or both?

lol man...if you are against the idea of birth control, I will give you shit for the rest of our BGR lives, hahahah. Confusedhh::biggrin:
vundy33 Wrote:But it's free for the women receiving it, who are the ones trying to prevent pregnancy in the first place. I'm sure that adding birth control to the list of things private healthcare covers wouldn't be breaking anyone up...nearly everyone who gets it gets it from the government already anyway.

And I agree with that. But as I said, it has it's medical benefits. What would you rather have, more females getting preggo and having abortions, giving the child up for adoption, or the kid suffering because of it's shitty parents...or would you have most of those pregnancies never happen to begin with?

I don't get it...you are against abortion, but not sure if you're against the idea of birth control or it being paid for by private insurance or both?

lol man...if you are against the idea of birth control, I will give you shit for the rest of our BGR lives, hahahah. Confusedhh::biggrin:
Again, nothing and I mean nothing is ever free. It always has a cost. Someone somewhere is paying for it. Are you telling me that two responsible consenting adults cannot afford to buy themselves their own condom?

What I am totally against is government dictation and intervention on something that comes down to nothing more than a "choice" of what two consenting adults decide to do in the privacy of their own homes. This is the real injustice.

What I would rather have is for everyone to be held personaly responsible for their actions and decisions. I am all for laws mandating that. If some of this ideology was enforced a lot of the situations you listed would be eliminated or greatly reduced. The way it stands right now the irresponsible get off scott free, while the responsible shoulder the financial burden for everything that goes wrong in this country. Tell me how that's right?

People in this country's personal freedoms and liberties are being taken away one by one by one. One of days people are going to look around and finally figure out they are all gone. With all that's going on in this country and with all of the problems we have, this is what this administration comes up with to prioritize?
TheRealVille Wrote:On Birth Control, GOP Male Leaders Woefully Out of Touch, Except With Other GOP Men

[Image: http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2012-02...cchart.gif]
How dare Foster Friess use something so deplorable as abstinence with his derogatory Bayer Aspirin remark...The nerve of him!

Democrats act as if there will be no more unwanted pregnancies or abortions if someone else pays for every woman's birth control.

If women can't afford or come up with their own birth control they need to abstain.

If we pile all free forms of birth control on every street corner, the same women that are irresponsible now will still get knocked up.

This subject is nothing more than a way democrats can distract from what's really important...Their empty suit President.

What a stupid subject to debate.
Truth Wrote:How was the question worded? What "discussion" took place prior to asking the question?

You can word a poll so as to get pretty much whatever result you want. That is common knowledge.

Obviously, as part of the Obama Network, CBS/NYT are less that "neutral".

By the way, TheRealVille, you never addressed my query concerning slavery prior to the Civil War. Were those, a definite minority, who opposed slavery "woefully out of touch"? How about the minutely small minority who supported homosexual rights? Were they also "woefully out of touch"? And, of course, the small minority who supported allowing women to vote. Were they also "woefully out of touch"?
As you can see by OP, I made no comment either way. Take that up the editor of the article. If it helps answer you question, I oppose slavery, and am for equal rights for all people. I can't see what your question has anything to do with the topic. The article is stating that republican leaders are out of touch with voters on this issue. The poll says as much.
If a "private" insurance company wants to cover birth control (which I suppose most do) then so be it. If not, find one that does or buy your own. Blanket mandates like these suggested by Bo are IMO un-American.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:How dare Foster Friess use something so deplorable as abstinence with his derogatory Bayer Aspirin remark...The nerve of him!

Democrats act as if there will be no more unwanted pregnancies or abortions if someone else pays for every woman's birth control.

If women can't afford or come up with their own birth control they need to abstain.

If we pile all free forms of birth control on every street corner, the same women that are irresponsible now will still get knocked up.

This subject is nothing more than a way democrats can distract from what's really important...Their empty suit President.

What a stupid subject to debate.
If the poll is correct, the GOP on this forum, with the exception of Vundy, prove it right.
TheRealVille Wrote:If the poll is correct, the GOP on this forum prove it right.
What part of what I said is out of touch?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:What part of what I said is out of touch?
Looks like everything you said is out of touch with the majority of the rest of the voting public, according to the poll.

You all do realize that I wasn't the one to come up with the "out of touch" line, right? It was the article's heading.
Here is the game plan for the coming presidential election for the Dems. Ready? their entire focus will be to desparage the Republicans at large and specifically the Repub presidential candidate. Nothing else. In lieu of a bona fide political platform the Dems have narrowed the focus of their personal assaults down to what they consider to be the most important 'psuedo planks'. In this case we are talking about the attempt to cast Republicans as being anti contraception and anti women's rights. The truth is the Repubs are trying to spare the productive folks in society the burden of paying for conscience free sex and free abortions for women who want to make a life time of sewing their wild oats. 53% of all white children born in the US last year were born out of wedlock, 73% of all children of color were born out of wedlock. Obama wants the American taxpayer to pay their way from the cradle to the grave, and their parents et-al, known and unknown. That's what the Dems want you to finance, not just contraception. The whole planned parenthood thing is another Democratic shell game. The Dems use misdirection methods all the time and Repubs usually fall for it. Obviously if Obama tries to run on his record he will be toast for sure. That just leaves smoke, mirrors, insults and misdirection. Here are the locations for those who work for the Huffington Post taken off Wiki, any poll taken in the following cities regarding a liberal agenda item would go pro liberal;

In 2008, the site launched its first local version, HuffPost Chicago;[13] HuffPost New York[14] launched in June, 2009, HuffPost Denver[15] launched on September 15, 2009,[16] HuffPost Los Angeles[17] launched on December 2, 2009,[18] and HuffPost San Francisco, launched on July 12, 2011.[19] HuffPost Detroit,[20] launched on November 17, 2011.[21] The most recent, HuffPost Miami launched in November 2011.[22]
I'm thinking it is very likely this poll was done in one or more of these cities, known Democratic strongholds. The reason they are strongholds is because of the disproportionate number of folks prone to having been vote-bought living in these metropolitan areas.

I'm not disputing the poll results. I am saying you don't try to mine gold in a silver mine. And, you don't take a poll you want to go liberal in Muskogee. The Dems always try to pick a fight with Repubs over the socially incindiary issues of the day, the Repubs always fall for it and get mired in the name calling. Then the Dems go out and declare the Repubs inflexible and politically out dated and the main stream media serves them up every night as so much hash. They (Repubs) better stay on topic this go round, or Obama will be laughing at them again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:Looks like everything you said is out of touch with the majority of the rest of the voting public, according to the poll.

You all do realize that I wasn't the one to come up with the "out of touch" line, right? It was the article's heading.
So a couple that is so down and out that they can't afford to scrounge up a few prophylactics should be able to have protected sex on someone else's dime? I could purchase several Trojan Magnums a week when I sacked groceries part time in the seventies.

So birth control is not like seat belts? Cars gotta have em, but several still don't buckle up.

Do you REALLY believe birth control being "furnished" will make that big of a difference? Really?

Not directing my responses directly at you. They are directed at the ridiculousness of the debate itself.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:So a couple that is so down and out that they can't afford to scrounge up a few prophylactics should be able to have protected sex on someone else's dime? I could purchase several Trojan Magnums a week when I sacked groceries part time in the seventies.

So birth control is not like seat belts? Cars gotta have em, but several still don't buckle up.

Do you REALLY believe birth control being "furnished" will make that big of a difference? Really?

Not directing my responses directly at you. They are directed at the ridiculousness of the debate itself.
I just posted the poll. It is up to you all how you perceive the majority of voters. I don't use birth control, so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me, as far as insurances go. My insurance fixed me for free years ago.
TheRealVille Wrote:I just posted the poll. It is up to you all how you perceive the majority of voters. I don't use birth control, so it doesn't matter one way or the other to me, as far as insurances go. My insurance fixed me for free years ago.

:yikes:
Bob Seger Wrote:Again, nothing and I mean nothing is ever free. It always has a cost. Someone somewhere is paying for it. Are you telling me that two responsible consenting adults cannot afford to buy themselves their own condom?

What I am totally against is government dictation and intervention on something that comes down to nothing more than a "choice" of what two consenting adults decide to do in the privacy of their own homes. This is the real injustice.

What I would rather have is for everyone to be held personaly responsible for their actions and decisions. I am all for laws mandating that. If some of this ideology was enforced a lot of the situations you listed would be eliminated or greatly reduced. The way it stands right now the irresponsible get off scott free, while the responsible shoulder the financial burden for everything that goes wrong in this country. Tell me how that's right?

People in this country's personal freedoms and liberties are being taken away one by one by one. One of days people are going to look around and finally figure out they are all gone. With all that's going on in this country and with all of the problems we have, this is what this administration comes up with to prioritize?

The point I'm making is that those two adults are not always responsible adults, are are usually not.

I agree with you completely on that. But what does that have to do with the government making birth control free for private insurance holders?

I don't think that's right at all, it's 100% wrong, and again we agree on this point. Regardless of what we think though, it will never be like that sadly, ever..no matter who is in charge. As long as we still have leaders that do not hold themselves accountable, responsible Americans will always shoulder this country's financial burden and wars, and those irresponsible Americans who refuse to hold themselves accountable for their actions will always live the good life.

Again, I agree...I don't have enough fingers and toes to count up other issues that clearly take precedence over this. It's obviously an election year strategy, and in my opinion created to make Republican's look bad, specifically Rick Santorum.

The main point I'm trying to make, is why do we have to argue with them on every little point? Like SkinnyPig said, would this really make that much of a difference EITHER way? No, probably not. Why can't we concede this one to them and turn it right back around on them for trying to turn a relatively small issue into a big deal aimed to make Republicans look bad, when we could be focusing on more important issues? Like, ya know, the whole Quran burning bullshit...or our POW US Army SGT Bowe Bergdahl, an infantryman, that the Taliban has had for nearly 3 years now yet we still don't hear one single mention of him by President Obama or the Administration OR any of the major news outlets..(except on Vet's Day of course!) I'd say 90% of Americans have no knowledge about this guy at all. Considering the fact that quite a few insurance companies pay for birth control fully, and those companies which don't pay 100% pay most of the cost AND the fact that if one has no insurance, they can go to their local Health Department and receive discounted birth control based on how much money they earn...and last, but not least, the fact that the number of American women that would benefit from this law is so small that it doesn't even warrant the time that is wasted discussing it.
The Huffington Post will never come out with a poll that shows Republicans as being anything other than idiots. Again, the courtroom tactic of discrediting the witness. It's a tried and true alternative to actually having to develope a political platform. Democrats do nothing, if not tear down the credibility of their Republican counterparts. Attack, smear and start rumors that the obliging main stream media will run with, to the best of their ability.

We can't have a one party political system and remain free. Checks and balances will be dissolved away by overloading the the supreme court, with liberal justices along with these unelected Agency Czars that have enormous authority to do the bidding of their appointer-in-chief. The totalitarian state is not the stuff of a free people, governed by the people. Definition; Totalitarian rule is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible. Totalitarian regimes stay in political power through an all-encompassing propaganda campaign, which is disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, a single party that is often marked by political repression, personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech, mass surveillance, and widespread use of terror.

The concept of totalitarianism was first developed in a positive sense in the 1920s by the Italian fascists. The concept became prominent in Western anti-communist political discourse during the Cold War era in order to highlight perceived similarities between Nazi Germany and other fascist regimes on the one hand, and Soviet communism on the other. China, Saudi Arabia , Iran, North Korea, Dubai, Sudan, Venezuela, Cuba and the like have employ this type of heavy handed tactic to keep the populace of their nations in line. [1] Wiki
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]