Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott County 71 vs.Bryan Station (at Henry Clay) 49 42nd District Championship
The Cards can count on their ace.

Tamron Manning pumped in 27 points as Scott County's third-rated Cardinals claimed the boys' 42nd District title Friday night with a 71-49 victory over Bryan Station in a game played at Henry Clay.

"I'm a senior leader, so they look to me to carry them," said the 6-foot-5 Manning, who also had 10 rebounds and four steals. "So I just try to be there for my teammates."

Both the district champ and runner-up advance to the 11th Region Tournament.

"It means a lot to me just to be in this position," Manning said. "But we've got way bigger goals than this. Way bigger goals."

The Cardinals (29-4) won for the seventh game in a row and 21st time in 22 games. They also whipped Bryan Station 84-47 in January and 76-52 on Feb. 1.

The Defenders didn't go down easily Friday.

"It was a tough basketball game," Scott County Coach Billy Hicks said. "The score is not indicative of how hard ... it was. I thought Bryan Station played as hard as any team we've played all year. Boy, they got after us! ... We're a good rebounding team, and we got outrebounded 20-11 the first half."

Still, Scott County led 34-24 at intermission.

Then the Cardinals went out and outrebounded Bryan Station 22-15 while steadily pulling away in the second half.

The Defenders came as close as six points early in the third quarter, but trailed 50-37 heading into the fourth quarter.

"We played hard," Bryan Station Coach Michael Allen said. "I just would have liked to shoot a little higher percentage from the field, though."

The Defenders finished 16-for-56 from the field (28.6 percent) and 12-for-17 at the free-throw line.

Scott County went 21-for-45 from the floor (46.7 percent) and sank 25 of 32 free throws.

"Scott County's one of the most physical teams in the 11th Region, and I thought their physicality was the difference-maker in the game because we fouled a lot, and a lot of their points that came in the second half were from the charity stripe," Allen said. "You put a team like that in a bonus, double-bonus, it's going to be a long night for you."

Manning, 8-for-17 from the field, went 10-for-14 at the foul line. Ivey made eight of nine free throws and Gilbert was 4-for-4.

In addition, Scott County finished with 10-point advantages in points off turnovers (21-11) and points in the paint (28-18).

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/24/20829...rylink=cpy
BRYAN STATION (12-20) — Williams 15, Henry 0, Beckham 16, Smith 5, Harris 4, Allen 5, Sweat 4. Totals 16-56 12-17 49.

SCOTT CO. (28-4) — Harris 2, Richardson 2, Gilbert 12, Ivey 21, Manning 27, Haddix 5, Petterson 2. Totals 21-45 25-32 71.

Bryan Station 9 15 13 12—49

Scott County 11 23 16 21—71

Three-point goals — BS: 5-18; SC: 4-9.

All-tournament team — Wes Kimball (Henry Clay); Reid Freeman (Sayre); Marcus Williams and Kalahari Harris (Bryan Station); Tamron Manning, Isaiah Ivey and Trenton Gilbert (Scott Co.).

Congrats SC!
Scott Co. just has so much talent. I can not see anyone beating them unless it is Trinity.
Mountain Wrote:Scott Co. just has so much talent. I can not see anyone beating them unless it is Trinity.

Madison Central, PRP, and Ballard are awfully good too. Lex Cath seems to always get the breaks from the officials in the regional (remember the finals in 2009) so you can't count them out.
Is the 11th region games going to be at Eastern again this year?
FIRST Wrote:Is the 11th region games going to be at Eastern again this year?

Yes, EKU Alumni Coliseum. First round games Wed + Thur, semis Sat, finals following Tuesday.