Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Hardin 61 at Elizabethtown 58 17th District
The North Hardin Trojans have faced adversity – some of it was their own doing – the entire season, so they didn’t blink when it showed up again Thursday evening.

Jill Pickett
North Hardin's Adam Hendrix shoots over Elizabethtown's Zane Najdawi, left, and Todd Lucas during a semifinal in the 17th District Boys' Basketball Tournament on Thursday at Elizabethtown High School.
Buy this photo
1 of 5

After trailing for only 43 seconds the first three quarters, the Trojans found themselves in a hole early in the fourth quarter after Elizabethtown surged ahead. But fourth-seeded North Hardin kept its composure and rallied the final 6 minutes for a 61-58 victory to stun the top-seeded Panthers in the Boys’ 17th District Basketball Tournament at Charlie Rawlings Memorial Gymnasium.

“It says a lot about us with everything we’ve been through,” said North Hardin senior forward Jauan Akins, who had 17 points and 10 rebounds. “We use that as fuel to go even harder. This feels so good. I’m excited because this is my first time playing in the (5th) Region Tournament.”

With the win, the Trojans (12-16) punched their ticket to the region tournament for the fourth time in six years. They will play the John Hardin Bulldogs (18-8) at 7 p.m. Saturday in the district final. The three previous times the Trojans made it to the title game they won district championship.

The Trojans, who have won nine straight, are fortunate to be in this situation. Senior point guard Jermaine Ruttley missed 11 games because of an injury, while Akins and senior guards Sam Coachman and Duwayne White missed nine weeks after being suspended from the team.

But it has made this team stronger. At least, it appeared that way in the fourth quarter.

“They really sucked it up and reached back for a little something extra,” said North Hardin coach Ron Bevars, who has led North Hardin to 17 district titles. “It was a war and we didn’t expect anything less. This is a tough place to play.”

Trailing 44-42, Elizabethtown tied it on a layup by freshman forward Zane Najdawi and then took the lead when sophomore guard Nic McDonald made 1-of-2 free throws after North Hardin assistant Mike Cofer was called for a technical for giving instructions to the Trojans. Sophomore guard Bryce Byrd hit 1-of-2 foul shots on the possession following the technical for a 46-44 lead with 7:10 remaining.

After Akins tied the score with two free throws, McDonald nailed a 3-pointer to not only give the Panthers a 49-46 lead with 6:16 left, but seemingly the momentum.

But North Hardin wasn’t about to let this opportunity get away. Coachman, who hit 5-of-9 3-pointers and scored 15 points, nailed a 3 and then Ruttley, who missed last season because of an injury, converted a three-point play. Akins capped the 8-0 spurt with a putback to give the Trojans a 54-49 lead with 3:43 remaining.

“I was just thinking this might be my last time playing a high school game,” said Ruttley, who finished with 17 points, eight rebounds, six assists and four steals. “I didn’t want that. I came out the last quarter and I was going to do whatever it takes to get a ‘W.’”

Elizabethtown pulled within 56-54 after a layup by sophomore guard Ja’Von Cotton with 1:43 left, but senior center Adam Hendrix made his first free throw 20 seconds later. On the second one, Coachman grabbed an all-important rebound and North Hardin was able to run off more than 30 seconds before the Panthers fouled Ruttley, who made both free throws.

“When it was going up, I saw him dive inside real hard,” Coachman said. “I saw it come off and I just tried to get it. I couldn’t believe it, because I’m not that good at rebounding.”

Byrd, who scored 15 points, kept the Panthers within striking distance with a layup and two free throws, but after each one, junior forward Scotty Sterusky, made 1-of-2 free throws to stretch the lead to 61-58 with 20 seconds remaining.

“I was just hoping to hit those,” said Sterusky, one of only two Trojans to play in every game this season. “I just looked at my teammates and they lifted my spirits up.”

The Panthers still had a chance to tie, but Cotton missed a 15-foot jumper and Ruttley grabbed the rebound. Ruttley missed both free throws with 1.4 seconds left, but Elizabethtown’s heave from the opposite free throw line was not close.

“We had our chances,” Elizabethtown coach James Haire said. “We could have shot free throws better. You have to give them credit. They made the plays.”

Elizabethtown finished the season 16-12, but the future looks bright for the Panthers. Despite losing seniors Jansen Flood, Todd Lucas and Alec Thompson, they return three starters – Byrd, McDonald and Najdawi – along with Cotton and sophomore forward Dominique Harding who both saw plenty of playing time off the bench.

“With our record, some might not think that’s not good,” Haire said. “But considering the seniors we lost and having very little varsity experience. I don’t want to keep harping on the age thing, but we only had three seniors and we played a brutal schedule. I am really proud of this group. I really hate it for those seniors.”