Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooper 50 Boone Co. 42 - 33rd
33rd District at Conner

Are you kidding me???????????
Shout out to Tim Sullivan and his Cooper Jags on winning their 1st district title
Basketball is a team sport, but sometimes it doesn’t feel that way.

The first quarter of the Kentucky High School 33rd district basketball final was one of those times.

Cooper senior Alex Webster scored the Jaguars’ first six points, nine of their first 11 and 11 of their first 15. He finished with 17, and Cooper (15-14) bested Boone County, 50-42.

“It’s not just tonight; it’s been all year long,” Cooper coach Tim Sullivan said of Webster. “He’s the guy. He’s the catalyst. He knows there’s no tomorrow, and we’ve seen him go to another level. I don’t think I’ve ever been around a better leader than him.”

Webster, who was named district tournament Most Valuable Player, scored 14 of his 17 points in the paint or at the foul line.

“Coach Sullivan told me to get to the rim and be strong and aggressive,” Webster said. “We were trying to get up on them early because we didn’t want it to be tight at the end.”

It was.

Cooper led Boone County 39-27 through three quarters, but the Rebels used an 11-1 run to pull within 40-38. Seniors Zane McQueary and Cooper Downs each hit a three-pointer during the rally, but it wasn’t enough. Jaguars junior point guard A.J. Collins went 7-of-8 at the foul line in the final two minutes to seal the win.

“He’s one of our best shooters,” Webster said. “He’s always knocking down threes, but tonight it was free throws.”

The district final was the third meeting of the year between these two teams. Cooper lost handily in the first one, 61-41, on Jan. 20, but won the rematch on the road, 44-41, on Feb. 10.

“Our defensive intensity really picked up after the first game (against them),” Webster said.

The Jaguars needed every bit of that intensity in the fourth quarter; they didn’t score their first field goal until the 1:52 mark and had just one fourth-quarter point before that – a free throw by Webster.

“I think it had a lot to do with our guys never being here,” Sullivan said. “I think they started holding the ball and thinking, ‘Let’s just hold on for the win,’ instead of being aggressive, which is what got us here.”

Cooper led 27-23 at halftime but opened the second half on an 8-2 run to forge a 35-25 lead. Boone County scored just four points in the third quarter before coming alive in the fourth.

Said Webster of his MVP award, “It’s nice, but I’m happier about the championship. That’s more important to me.”

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...302240150/
Boone: C. Stanley 2 1 5, Downs 4 2 13, Pitts 1 0 2, Palmer 0 1 1, McQueary 3 0 8, Schwartz 3 0 1 7, Carr 2 0 4, B. Stanley 2 0 2.

Cooper: Webster 7 2 17, Maniacci 5 2 12, Morgan 2 0 4, Cook 2 1 3, Collins 1 7 9, Henderson 1 0 2, Hathorn 0 2 2, Shelton 0 1 1

Threes: Boone: 5 (Downs 3, McQueary 2); Cooper: 1 (Webster 1)