Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collins gets 2 transfers from Michigan
The 8th Region boys' basketball picture went all blurry a couple of weeks ago when Collins got an unexpected roster upgrade. With two weeks left in the regular season, two talented brothers transferred in from Michigan and were ruled eligible to play for the Titans.

Collins, led by 6-foot-8 senior Brian Stone and 6-4 junior Dez Marshall, was already a region contender as it showed in knocking off state power Bullitt East in late January. But the addition of Norvis and Terez Smith, who moved from Trenton, Mich., to Simpsonville when their father got a job in Louisville this month, might make the Titans the favorites in the 8th.

"Both are really long and athletic," Coach Chris Gaither said. "Norvis (a 6-foot-4 senior) is that guard with long arms who comes off the bench and gives you a spark on the defensive side. Terez (a 6-6 junior) kind of reminds me of (UK's) Anthony Davis. He's not 6-10, but he's long and you can throw the ball up and he'll go get it. He rebounds well, and he moves his feet well on the defensive end and can block shots."

When the Smith brothers arrived at Collins in early February, they thought their basketball season was over. "They had no clue that Kentucky would allow them to play this year," Gaither said.

But the KHSAA ruled them eligible on Feb. 8, and they played against Nelson County on Feb. 10. They've played in two more games since, a victory over Woodford County in the regular-season finale, and a win over Shelby County in the district semifinals Wednesday night.

Mixing new players into a rotation this late in the season could be a recipe for disaster, but Gaither said the addition of the Smiths "has, if anything, improved our chemistry. That's because they're great kids. Our other players are excited about having them here."

Gaither, an All-State guard at Grayson County 10 years ago and in his first season as Collins' head coach, thinks his team has the potential to win the region. "And with our length, size and quickness, if we can get to the state tournament I think we can bother a lot of people."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/23/20809...rylink=cpy
this is a little outdated but Kentucky.com just made it available last night
I dont understand how you can complete a high school basketball season in 1 state, move to another state and play the same sport in the same season in your new state.
Hefty Lefty Wrote:I dont understand how you can complete a high school basketball season in 1 state, move to another state and play the same sport in the same season in your new state.
The season in MI is not over, the article was not clear that the players thought because of the move they could not make a team this late in the season.
Michigan High School Basketball
District Tournament -- March 5, 7 & 9
Regional Tournament -- March 12 & 14
MHSAA Quarterfinals - March 20
MHSAA Semifinals - March 22-23
MHSAA Finals -- March 24
Wow! That's crazy! I don't understand why they were able to get eligible so quick?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON