Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best 1st round District Upsets you've ever seen??
What's the best 1st round of the district tournament upset any of you all ave ever seen?
I was a kid when it happened, but in 95 CovCath beat Cov. Holy Cross in the 1st round of the districts. this was when the 35th did a draw instead of a seed. Holy Cross was ranked #1 in the state for most of the season and were heavy favorites to win region. CovCath was a good team as well, but not as talented as HC.
2006-2007 - (4) Southwestern @ (1) McCreary Central - 48th District

The Warriors came into the game with only 4 losses on the year and upset the Raiders on their home floor. The Raiders were expected to make a run towards a regional title that year. Definitely a game that I will remember.
Perry beat Hazard in back to back years when I was in High school after being swept in the regular season. They were both amazing games as well. One with a buzzer beater finish and another with a HHS player stepping out of bounds when they were trying to force overtime.

Also....
Buckhorn over Perry in 2007. Absolute meltdown by the Commodores.
^Buckhorn over PCC was a big one. I was at both the PCC/Hazard game you are referring to. When Daniel Combs hit that shot was crazy, but PCC was a Very good team that year so that really wasn't no huge upset.
Agreed on the Buckhorn over PCC, and Perry beating Hazard. Those were awesome.
2004 38th District Tournament: Bracken County beat Bishop Brossart 31-30 at Campbell County Middle School..

Brossart was 23-5 entering the game, were "All A" State runner-up and considered one of the favorites to end up being 10th region runner-up to Mason Co (with Chris Lofton and Co). Bracken Co entered the game 10-15 and had lost to Brossart in the "All A" 10th Regional Finals by 21 just four weeks prior.
Just happened !!! Buckhorn beat Perry County Central !!!
University Heights.
Not sure about the year but Im pretty sure they got knocked out of the district in the 1st round either the year before or after they won it all. They had 3-4 Div 1 bball players and got beat in the 1st round of districts.
Gotta be Buckhorn over Perry. This PCC team was built to make a run at state.
The 50th District use to have 7 teams in it.
They also did a blind draw thee entire time that it was seven teams.
There were two many upset to mention then.

Now the 50th is a 4 team district and they seed. Go figure.
The two biggest I remember have been the two times Buckhorn has beat PCC. The first one may not have been as big as this one but the way they done it was. They just drilled PCC by about 30 that night.

I remember I was driving home from Alice Lloyd and flipped the radio on and that place was going nuts, the announcers literally didn't know what to say. Being from Buckhorn it was hard to believe due to the fact that PCC had literally never lost to Buckhorn in varsity basketball before.
Last night thanks to the coaching of Perry,Cent.
Prestonsburg over a talented Allen Central squad in 2003. AC fans had already reserved seats for their matchup with South Floyd in the Championship before the game had ever started, they had previously blown the Blackcats out in their 2 prior meetings. Prestonsburg put on the best 2nd half shooting display in recent memory to shatter AC's hopes. As far as Buchhorn over PCC goes my opinion on this is that any team with a player the caliber of Matt Day can never be counted out against anyone so i didnt consider this as big of an upset for that paticular reason. Also in 03 a winless Phelps hornets team advanced to the regional after defeating Belfry in the district advancing into regionals with one win, If I remember this made national news. But to many to name them all...