Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Casey County 55, Somerset 53 (47th District)
Final from Rockcastle County
Casey County will play Pulaski County in the finals.
Would have love to have seen a Pulaski vs Somerset championship game but, ya gotta give credit to Casey County.

Congrats Rebels!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I agree, I was wanting to see the same thing...However, it was good to see the underdog Rebels get the 'W'. Congrats to Darry Burkett and the Rebels on the win!
Anyone know any details, this game surprises me. Biggest upset so far in District play that i have seen.
2/21/2012

Casey Co. 55
Somerset 53

Casey Co. 12 15 11 17 55
Somerset 8 18 11 16 53

47th District at Rockcastle Co.

Casey Co. (4-26) -- Cannon 14, Bianconi 1, Carman 12, Scott 3, Leigh 6, Smith 3, Hill 14.

Somerset (11-13) -- Cheuvrant 13, Lange 8, Gordon 9, McWilliams 5, Dishman 18.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...rylink=cpy
Thanks seems like it was a close game throughout.
I was rooting for Somerset, But I have to be happy for Darry Burkett. When it comes to X's and O's he is darn good.
Darry is going to turn that program around. He has a great young program with some outstanding middle schoolers that will help him tremendously next year and the year after. Teams better enjoy it now because he will have Casey at the top of the 12th region sooner than later.
That sound you hear is everyone in the 12th hoping to draw Casey.
Daniel's got to go this offseason IMO, a huge mistake from day 1.
yeah 10 for 21 at the free throw line. Gotta be the coaches fault.
He is not a good coach, if you have an argument to prove otherwise then let's hear it. I'm sure he is a nice guy but that was a bad hire from the beginning, it was obvious then, it was obvious at the end of last season (when our AD tried to get rid of him) and the last two months have just confirmed it.
Not exactly defending anyone with this post, but honestly Somerset is a young team, with lack of talent. The team gets in the gym late due to Football, most play three sports so not alot of time to devote to Basketball, and from what i have seen the best players on this team are average HS ballers. So why are expectations so high in Briar Jumper Country?

Just Asking!
RoShamBo Wrote:He is not a good coach, if you have an argument to prove otherwise then let's hear it. I'm sure he is a nice guy but that was a bad hire from the beginning, it was obvious then, it was obvious at the end of last season (when our AD tried to get rid of him) and the last two months have just confirmed it.

RoShamBo first off I want to say I respect you and most of your opinions on this Forum.

I believe Daniels is a good coach because he has been around the game for a long time. He took Rowan County to the State Tournament so he must know a little bit about the game.

If I was a Somerset fan , I would probably be like you and be wanting a change. But from an outsider looking in; I dont think Daniels has done all that bad of a job, considering the talent that is there.

The Casey County loss is a bad loss but if Somerset doesn't shoot @47% from the foul line then they dont lose this game.

Somerset lost their last 10 games. But look who they lost to.
West Jessamine 18-12, North Laurel 18-13, Pulaski Co. in OT 20-10, Southwestern twice 23-8, Adair 19-12, Wayne Co. 17-14, East Jessamine 26-4. Danville 13-15. Casey Co. 4-26.

In my opinion Somerset should have been 2-8 instead of 0-10 during this stretch of games.

Finally I will say this, Maybe there needs to be a change at Somerset, If the players, parents and fans don't believe in the coach and they are not going to support him or play hard for him, then absolutely its time for a change. But its because he is not a good fit at Somerset, Not because he is a bad coach.
Understood, and you are definitely right we haven't exactly been talent rich the lost couple seasons on the court. However, there is just very little support for the man in the system and IMO rightfully so because the decisions he has made in regards to scheduling, roster decisions, overall play calling in certain situations has left much to be wanting. I've got to be honest I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to high school basketball in Kentucky, but I feel like hiring a man who was forced out from his former program so they could bring in your former coach is not the direction you would want to take your program.

Colonels, it's not that expectations are ridiculous in Somerset, it's simply the fact that most people involved with Somerset athletics have a serious lack of confidence in Daniel. Like I said our AD tried to get him out last year because he had to have realized the mistake. There are great coaches right under our noses who would love the job, and instead we essentially take a poor trade in coaches from the other end of the state. As I said before, I'm sure he is an alright guy and everything but he is not nor was he ever a good fit for Somerset basketball.
RoShamBo Wrote:Colonels, it's not that expectations are ridiculous in Somerset, it's simply the fact that most people involved with Somerset athletics have a serious lack of confidence in Daniel. Like I said our AD tried to get him out last year because he had to have realized the mistake. There are great coaches right under our noses who would love the job, and instead we essentially take a poor trade in coaches from the other end of the state. As I said before, I'm sure he is an alright guy and everything but he is not nor was he ever a good fit for Somerset basketball.

I don't necessarily think that expectations are ridiculous, but just set a little to high. If you look at his schedule the past couple of years he scheduled light to try and give the team some confidence, and mature before facing a rigorous 12th Region Schedule. If he would have scheduled the way they had in the past they record would not have been what it has been. In his first two years they played a much more difficult schedule and only won 12 games one year and 4 the next, with more talented teams. Out of curiosity who are the more talented Coaches right under there your noses? Some could say Darry Burkett, maybe his brother Kevin, Don's his assistant? Who else is there with his experience and record. Maybe Dave Shultz. Dave probably has the best record in the area out of the ones mentioned. I doubt if Somerset would have hired Darry, and Dave just stopped coaching this year. I am just wondering who are the "great" coaches. Is Rodney Woods planning on leaving Wayne County for the job or was he at the time they hired Don. Don had a pretty good record at Rowan, and got in trouble due to an incident related to his son, it is my understanding it was not about his coaching ability.
If Daniels is let go I think they will hire Jeff Cothran. He is a good coach with Somerset ties. Schulz and Darry Burkett would also be great hires from this area.

Rumor is Dave Fraley is interested, but I believe that is just a rumor.
IMO Coach Fraley is not going to come back to a job with no chance of winning what does he have to gain by that. I don't think that Darry would leave Casey County, he is going to build a program there. Shultz may be lured back in the mix. Coach Cothran may be a good replacement. Other than Coach Fraley and possibly Dave, i am not sure I would say there are great coaches on the list. Certainly with Coach Cothran limited experience as a boys head coach you could not call him a great coach. I think his experiecne is limited to two years at Somerset and a few years as a girls head coach. Who ever his hired there if Daniels is let go, will have to be given time to build a program from the ground up. Just not much talent coming through there right now. I will say that appears to be one of Daniels deficits, he does not appear to be involved with the young talent that needs to be molded.
Somerset needs to give whoever the new coach is time...that's for sure. You can't build a program overnight, especially at a small school like Somerset.
Talking to the kids on the Somerset team over the last couple of years...i would say the biggest reason why it is time for a change is that they are having no fun. Even when they were winning earlier in the season. Its not that Daniels doesn't know the game or isn't a great coach, but they way he coaches. His overall manerisms and way he does it have a very negative vibe and that is a big part of the reason many kids keep dropping off of the team there or not coming back. The practices are negative, the instruction during the games is negative, etc...In a school like Somerset where the kids all play multiple sports, if you don't make it fun they aren't ever going to be great because the kids will just focus on the other sports.

Some players a couple weeks ago admitted to looking forward to the season ending because it just wasn't enjoyable. That is why the loss didn't really shock me.