Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenwood 78 - Edmonson County 46
ECHS 15 9 14 8 – 46
GHS 12 22 22 22 – 78
EC – Lindsey 3, Carnes 1, Clemmons 2, Rich 18, Glenn 22.
GHS – Lamb 8, Mulkey 13, Pettus 5, Sunderlin 3, Jordan 10, Dean 8, James 2, Maupin 13, Perks 14.
Greenwood’s girls’ basketball team came from behind Friday to finish its regular season with a 78-46 win over Edmonson County at Greenwood High School.
Senior forward Raven Perks celebrated senior night with 14 points and nine rebounds – helping spark the Lady Gators to a season high in points.
“It was fun,” Perks said. “I tried my hardest to make shots and get rebounds. Me and (fellow senior Molly Lamb) really wanted to win that game.”
Greenwood (23-7) built a 12-7 lead after a putback from Nancy Mulkey late in the first quarter, but Edmonson County (10-17) answered with an 11-0 spurt to pull ahead 18-12 with 7:46 left in the first half.
The Lady Wildcats’ lead grew to 24-16 after a 3-pointer from Madison Rich, but the Lady Gators began to storm back. Sarah Jordan’s 3 started an 18-0 run over the final 4:37 of the second quarter, allowing Greenwood to take a 34-24 halftime lead.
“A light kind of clicked when we got behind,” Greenwood coach Todd Tolbert said. “I think we got mad and said, ‘We’re not going to lose our last home game on senior night.’ I think we executed our defense really well in the second quarter and started hitting some key shots.”
Greenwood opened the third period with six straight points that stretched the lead to 40-24. Edmonson County got as close as 11 before Greenwood used an 11-2 run to extend its advantage to 20 points.
Greenwood’s lead grew to 32 by the final horn.
Perks was one of four Lady Gators to finish in double figures. Mulkey had 13 points and seven rebounds.
Lauren Maupin, playing in her fifth game of the season after missing most of the year with a knee injury, scored a season-high 13 points and added eight rebounds.
“I’ve been at every practice shooting,” Maupin said. “I’ve been trying to do my best to get back in the flow before (the district tournament). I’m just trying to get my confidence back. I was able to hit a few shots tonight, so it feels pretty good.”
Jordan added 10 points and Lamb finished with eight points and five boards in the final home game of her career.
Hollie Glenn led Edmonson County with 22 points, including six 3s, while Rich added 18 points.
Edmonson County will face Butler County in the District 12 Tournament at Grayson County at 7:45 p.m. Monday. Greenwood will meet Warren Central in the District 14 Tournament at 6 p.m. Tuesday.