Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Carter 70 East Carter 58
Final from Olive Hill. West complete sweep of district.
http://dailyindependent.com/localsports/...h-momentum

OLIVE HILL — Cody Stamper swiped the ball away, tipping it to a teammate who had a clear view of the landscape.

Kyle Brown dribbled upcourt and passed up a good look for a better one as he found Stamper to finish what he started. The West Carter senior scored the bucket and an ensuing free throw for a three-point play to give the Comets a 54-47 lead with 5:41 to go.

Neither team made another field goal as West Carter beat East Carter, 70-58, at Harold Holbrook Athletic Complex West on Thursday night.

West Carter (23-5) closed out its second over the Raiders in as many meetings this season by knocking down 16 of its final 18 free throws. Overall, the Comets were 29 of 37 from the foul line and 20 of 37 from the floor.

“I thought we played very smart,” said Comets coach Jeremy Webb. “Our shot selection was very good. We didn’t take a lot of contested jumpers.”

Brown had seven of West Carter’s first 10 points to start the second half in helping his team to a 44-34 advantage. Brown finished with 18, second behind Derek Lawson’s 19 for team-high honors.

East Carter (10-15) didn’t fold, though, as Bradley Marsh and Connor Robinson drained a pair of the team’s six 3-pointers to close the gap to 47-45 before the final period began.

The Comets remained composed as the team huddled by the bench.

“I don’t think anybody panicked,” Brown said. “We just needed to execute and take care of the ball.”

Webb attributed the team’s placid demeanor to its recent state All “A” Classic experience. The Comets fell in the quarterfinals in Frankfort two weeks ago.

“That tournament was very good for us,” Webb said. “It’s helped us relax down the stretch. Early on (in the season) I felt like we would have been more tentative in that situation.”

West Carter quickly seized the momentum by finding Travis Duvall for two of his 12 points, and then Brown sank a short jumper, both of which occurred within the first minute of the fourth.

Kyle Stewart hit a turnaround jumper — the Raiders junior finished with a team-best 18, including 8-for-8 free-throw shooting — but it wasn’t enough to hinder the Comets’ run as they reeled off the next five including Stamper’s three-point play. He tallied 14 total points.

Lawson was the star of the first half for West Carter. The senior racked up 16 points in the first 16 minutes on 7-of-8 shooting. His 10 total rebounds gave him a double-double.

“He had a very good first half,” said East Carter coach Brandon Baker. “We had to do a better job on him to give ourselves a chance. He’s a tough, physical challenge for us in the paint. I thought we kind of neutralized that.”

At that point, Brown, who said his team “didn’t really need me” in the first half, was needed. He had 13 in the second.

Dylan Genung chipped in 11 points and Jordan Burchett 10 — all in the first half — for the Raiders.

Baker gave the Comets credit for putting the game out of reach with that fourth quarter surge.

“They took advantage of misplays on our part, and that’s what good teams do,” Baker said. “They’ve been a good team all season long. They adjusted and came out on us on the perimeter, and I thought they kind of made us uncomfortable.”