Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Prestonsburg Boys Lost.
I think Jackie Day Crisp is a nice guy, but the game against Belfry showed me that he shouldn't be coaching. We had the right boys on the floor with B. Hughes, J. Hall, L. Barnett, S. Leslie, M. Stephens. and them he started the second half with the starting five, and then he came out the forth Quarter again with the starting five, But in my opinion what be us was, the man to man defense. I think everyone in the gym could see that we could NOT stop them off the dribble, and I'll bet that 80 to 85% of there points were in the paint.  we needed to go to a 2-3 and if they were going to beat you at least let it be from outside. once or twice it looked like we tried a 1-3-1 and a triangle and 2. What about a good out 2-3 and pack it in tight and make them shoot from the outside. If someone out there has the stats on how many points where in the paint I would love to know. This was our BEST chance to go to the Sweet Sixteen, and with the seniors that are leaving who knows when we will get this chance again. I hate to say that coaching cost us the game, but I think in this case it did. I know it's easy for the people sitting in the stands to say what we need to do, but when little kids, men, and woman all were saying WHY are we trying to stay in a man to man when they are killing us. If someone out there See's it different I would LOVE to here your thoughts.
Pburg was beat mostly by the turnovers...
The half court press is what beat Prestonsburg.  They did a fair job on defense, they just couldn't penetrate Belfry's defense.
[quote author=blackcatII link=topic=20621.msg207491#msg207491 date=1141941533]
The half court press is what beat Prestonsburg. They did a fair job on defense, they just couldn't penetrate Belfry's defense.
[/quote]
I agree
[quote author=BigBCFan link=topic=20621.msg207375#msg207375 date=1141932006]
I think Jackie Day Crisp is a nice guy, but the game against Belfry showed me that he shouldn't be coaching. We had the right boys on the floor with B. Hughes, J. Hall, L. Barnett, S. Leslie, M. Stephens. and them he started the second half with the starting five, and then he came out the forth Quarter again with the starting five, But in my opinion what be us was, the man to man defense. I think everyone in the gym could see that we could NOT stop them off the dribble, and I'll bet that 80 to 85% of there points were in the paint.  we needed to go to a 2-3 and if they were going to beat you at least let it be from outside. once or twice it looked like we tried a 1-3-1 and a triangle and 2. What about a good out 2-3 and pack it in tight and make them shoot from the outside. If someone out there has the stats on how many points where in the paint I would love to know. This was our BEST chance to go to the Sweet Sixteen, and with the seniors that are leaving who knows when we will get this chance again. I hate to say that coaching cost us the game, but I think in this case it did. I know it's easy for the people sitting in the stands to say what we need to do, but when little kids, men, and woman all were saying WHY are we trying to stay in a man to man when they are killing us. If someone out there See's it different I would LOVE to here your thoughts.
[/quote]UNBELIEVABLE!!!  This is the most absurd post I've heard in a while.  This guy done a fabulous job with his team this season.  Let me guess, you are a Derossett supporter?  At any rate, players make plays and coaches take heat when it's all said and done.  Coach Crisp.....One Hell Of A Job!!!!
Im no B-burg fan but Mr. Crisp isnt the right man for the job. He has had some very good athletes in the past and a very good team this year that should have won region and he hasnt really did anything with any of  them. I just think that Pack would have gotten more out of this years team and some previous years also, I have said before that sf probably wouldnt have all those district championships if Jack Pack was coaching the Blackcats in the past. Just my opinion
personally I know JD Crisp is a class guy.
People need to get off his back.

As far as pack I know him as well and I think most remember what happened last time he was at the helm of the blackcats.
Jack Pack does have a temper, and he had questionable behavior, but that is behind him, live and let die. Like it or not, Jack Pack is one of the very best coaches around. I also think that Jackie Day Crisp is a great person and a good coach, for one half of basketball he was coaching as well as possible against Belfry, then in the second half he didn't adjust; however, I always had faith in his coaching. Maybe we should have played a different defense, but then again, who am I to say?
[quote author=Doc Holliday link=topic=20621.msg207768#msg207768 date=1141963392]
personally I know JD Crisp is a class guy.
People need to get off his back.

As far as pack I know him as well and I think most remember what happened last time he was at the helm of the blackcats.

[/quote]

I know Jack also and alot of what happened to him was more over politics  and  his personal life and Finances so to speak. Like him or not he is a great BB coach and IMO is alot better coach than Jackie. Im sure Jackie is a great guy not saying he isnt but a great guy and a great coach are two different things and also I think Barry hall is a good guy but IMO he isnt a good Basketball coach I know other will disagree because he a good person but that is besides the point. Im a SF fan ( old Wheelwright alum where Jack first started in Floyd county) and Im sure glad Jackie day has been coach up there and Not Jack Pack.

I want to say this, Coach Pack also had good team's when at the helm of the Boys team, How many Regional titles? O. As a matter of fact I think they got beat out of the Regional Tourn. the first game by a lesser talented team the Pikeville Panthers.
I remember it well and that Coach Pack got out coached that game. I know "Winning" is all that matters to most. But I can say I'm glad that Coach Crisp is and has been at the helm. If you are close enough to hear what he yells out to the players on the court you would know that some of the players just didn't execute the play fully. Having a good man that really cares about the players is a God send. Many of these boys didn't play one other sport because of bad experiences and uncaring coach's. These Sr.s didn't go out the way they would have liked, but they enjoyed their four years I'm sure. And I think this makes Coach Crisp 6 years straight in the Regional Tourn. He wanted these boys to win so bad. You could tell.
Well here is my take on it.  I played under Jackie Day for four years.  As a person you couldn't find any better.  Now his coaching is sub-par.  Like someone mentioned, with the talent that has gone through prestonsburg high school the past 3 to 4 years and the lack of winning that was going on is rediculous.  Jack Pack in my eyes was the better fit for the boys job.  The only way that Prestonsburg made it as far as they did was because of the talent they had.  They couldn't win close games because they were outcoached at the end.  Kinda reminds me of the football team,  if DeRossett would have been Haywood then Prestonsburg would have won a state title 3 or 4 years in a row.  Thank goodness Prestonsburg football had the talent they did cuz they made coach DeRossett look great.  I say we clear out all the coaches and do some rearranging and this school will be a powerhouse.  Switch Coach Pack and Coach Crisp so that Pack has boys and Crisp has girls and get rid of all DeRossetts and this town would be perfect.  :thumpsup:
[quote author=THUNDERCHILD link=topic=20621.msg208017#msg208017 date=1142015045]
I want to say this, Coach Pack also had good team's when at the helm of the Boys team, How many Regional titles? O. As a matter of fact I think they got beat out of the Regional Tourn. the first game by a lesser talented team the Pikeville Panthers.
I remember it well and that Coach Pack got out coached that game. I know "Winning" is all that matters to most. But I can say I'm glad that Coach Crisp is and has been at the helm. If you are close enough to hear what he yells out to the players on the court you would know that some of the players just didn't execute the play fully. Having a good man that really cares about the players is a God send. Many of these boys didn't play one other sport because of bad experiences and uncaring coach's. These Sr.s didn't go out the way they would have liked, but they enjoyed their four years I'm sure. And I think this makes Coach Crisp 6 years straight in the Regional Tourn. He wanted these boys to win so bad. You could tell.
[/quote]
I didnt really matter when pburg lost in the region Paintville was gonna win the 15th regardless in those years in case you dont remember Todd Tackett and JR vanhoose was there then,  I looked up his records from khsaa as far back as it went and he had a  good record and won the district champinoship in 97-98 with a 8-0 record and got runnerup the next year  and then coach crisp took over and well just go look at his overall winning percentagel. the numbers dont lie and crisp has had alot of very good athletes and hasnt done anything with them. 6 straight year to the region isnt that hard man all you have to do is win 1 game. Pburg was a team loaded with talent this year and should have won region IMO .

oh and by the way The same year that Pikeville beat Pburg by 2 points in the region, Pikeville got beat by Paintsville by only 3 points in the semis' and Pikeville was 1 of only 3 teams that beat Paintsville that year when the went to the all A finals and sweet 16 finals and lost both games, guess pikeville wasnt that bad.
I took a look at Jackie day's record since he has been head coach at Pburg . In 7 seasons he is 81-119 Overall 68-82 against region teams and 29-35 against District teams with the last two his only winning seasons. If thats the kind of record Pburg can live with and say they are happy with then hell I am to. To each his own  :thumpsup:
I'm not against JD crisp but Prestonsburg should have won the region the past 2 years with Compton, Stephens, JM Stephens, Chaffins, and Leslie as the starting five (Including Lewis Barnett on the bench) they deff... should have won and the same for this year too ! For Football the boys at our school don't get a break, Most of the football players play basketball and baseball so they dont have to practice everyday in the year for football ! They have to be at school now at 6am every school mourning to lift weights ! Now thats rediculos ! All im saying is that we have had the most talent in Basketball and Football the past 3 years to win state in football and go to Rupp in Bball ! Now if I'm wrong let me know !
They lost because tey did not play as well as their opponant.
Why Prestonsburg Lost?

Very simple.  Nothing to do with coaching, or players not playing hard, or any other excuse.  Both teams played great and did what they thought they needed to win.

However, in the end, it came down to one thing.  Belfry had more points than Prestonsburg.  That's it.  That's why they lost.  Sometimes, you don't shoot as well, and sometimes you don't play as good as defense as you could have.  We are humans though, and not perfect no matter how much we practice.  We will make mistakes.  I congratulate both teams on successful seasons; however, the end result is what most people look at.  I think the journey determines the success -- and both of these had wonderful journeys only to be cut short.  There can only be one winner.
[quote author=blackcat_student link=topic=20621.msg208694#msg208694 date=1142095516]
I'm not against JD crisp but Prestonsburg should have won the region the past 2 years with Compton, Stephens, JM Stephens, Chaffins, and Leslie as the starting five (Including Lewis Barnett on the bench) they deff... should have won and the same for this year too ! For Football the boys at our school don't get a break, Most of the football players play basketball and baseball so they dont have to practice everyday in the year for football ! They have to be at school now at 6am every school mourning to lift weights ! Now thats rediculos ! All im saying is that we have had the most talent in Basketball and Football the past 3 years to win state in football and go to Rupp in Bball ! Now if I'm wrong let me know !
[/quote]

Dont disagree with your post, but the weight lifting is actually at 7:30a.m.
[quote author=BeaverCreek Connection link=topic=20621.msg209375#msg209375 date=1142135440]
[quote author=blackcat_student link=topic=20621.msg208694#msg208694 date=1142095516]
[/quote]

Considering me and my friend Blackcat_Student go to the school and you dont, it was recently changed to 6a.m. So if your not for sure dont post ok[/quote]
[quote author=BlackcatFootball08 link=topic=20621.msg209660#msg209660 date=1142184961]
[quote author=BeaverCreek Connection link=topic=20621.msg209375#msg209375 date=1142135440]
[/quote]

Considering me and my friend Blackcat_Student go to the school and you dont, it was recently changed to 6a.m. So if your not for sure dont post ok[/quote]
[/quote]

Thats just overkill its completely uncalled for. Its sad that they believe that this type of thing will make up for last year.
[quote author=THUNDERCHILD link=topic=20621.msg208017#msg208017 date=1142015045]
[/quote]
Coach Pack could have won 3 Regional Titles had he not been under so much heat... the core players were there, Robbie Powers, Dustin Music, and he should have had Shawn Newsome, but with all the distractions he decided to go play for Coach Martin at Allen Central and lead the state in scoring.
Crisp did a great job with this team!  They lost because this region was crazy this year and P-burg just happened to fall a little short on Tuesday night!  That is the bottom line.  As for the weights, it sounds like P-burg is killing their kids year around.  They were terrible in football last year so they killed this years basketball team to make up for it!  That is ridiculous!!!!!
[/quote]

Starting this week @ 6 am
[/quote]
Why Prestonsburg Boys Lost..... :pirateshoot: it's a belfry  thing
[quote author=Billnz28 link=topic=20621.msg207678#msg207678 date=1141958669]
Im no B-burg fan but Mr. Crisp isnt the right man for the job. He has had some very good athletes in the past and a very good team this year that should have won region and he hasnt really did anything with any of  them. I just think that Pack would have gotten more out of this years team and some previous years also, I have said before that sf probably wouldnt have all those district championships if Jack Pack was coaching the Blackcats in the past. Just my opinion
[/quote]

Posts like this is why I read these threads, because every now and then someone says something so stupid I just have to laugh.  If Jackie Pack had coached Prestonsburg, then SF wouldn't have won all those districts  :lmao:
[quote author=Don Coleoni link=topic=20621.msg209971#msg209971 date=1142205801]
[quote author=Billnz28 link=topic=20621.msg207678#msg207678 date=1141958669]
[/quote]

Posts like this is why I read these threads, because every now and then someone says something so stupid I just have to laugh.  If Jackie Pack had coached Prestonsburg, then SF wouldn't have won all those districts   :lmao:
[/quote]

what the hell is so funny about it? Tell me how great of a Coach Jackie is and then look at his record :lmao: and Im not stupid, You are if you think Jackie day is a better coach than Jack Pack. and yeah SF won a bunch of distrit titles how many has Jackie day won? :lmao:
I was laughing because theres actually someone out there who thinks Jackie Pack could have kept SF from winning all those district tournaments  :lmao:  I think its the funniest thing I've ever heard.  I love reading stuff like that and it comes from out of nowhere  :lmao:
they lost because they did not play their best
[quote author=Don Coleoni link=topic=20621.msg210219#msg210219 date=1142221352]
I was laughing because theres actually someone out there who thinks Jackie Pack could have kept SF from winning all those district tournaments  :lmao:  I think its the funniest thing I've ever heard.  I love reading stuff like that and it comes from out of nowhere  :lmao:
[/quote]
Please give us some evidence as to why he couldn't have, I need some research.
Jack Pack steps on too many peoples toes, and pisses the wrong people off. Would he be a good fit for the job? YES, I'm not denying the man's talents. But I'm glad he's not the coach at Prestonsburg.
Jack Pack just doesn't take anything from anyone, he's a great coach and a great person. I know him personally and played for him, he's a great guy and has always been there for me. If I ever need anything  know I can call him and he'll be right there. I'm glad that he is with the girls though, they needed a good coach. But if he got the boys job I would be happy for him.