Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne 60 Prestonsburg 53
Betsy layne wins this one at home. I didn't get to make it to the last one, but made it to this.

Here's what I got from it.

Jr. Doesn't play his bench like he should. I know he has family starting, but he is cheating alot of kids. Do the right thing and give Hamilton more minutes. Play the Rogers kid. If it wasn't for him at the state tournament bl would have losses by 20. Also case and Meade are playing selfish.

I believe in equal opportunity so burg played jamerson when the bentley kid should have been playing. That was inexperience coaching.

I do think bl will lose in a big upset in region because of turnovers and personnel.

I think the blackcats is getting better, but don't know if they are improving enough to make it to region.
With Jr. Newsome coaching kids will always be getting cheated. He is a great coach but often plays the favorites. I wouldn't be suprised if Prestonsburg knocks them off in the tournament. Its hard to beat a rival team 4 times in one season. All the games have been competitive games too. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the 4th game.
If BL would of made Free throws this game would not of been competitive. It would have been a 15 to 20 point game.
Think the district is up for grabs this year? How has Betsy Layne faired with the other 58th district teams?
Saints52 Wrote:With Jr. Newsome coaching kids will always be getting cheated. He is a great coach but often plays the favorites. I wouldn't be suprised if Prestonsburg knocks them off in the tournament. Its hard to beat a rival team 4 times in one season. All the games have been competitive games too. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the 4th game.

this may be the most idiotic post ive ever heard.
maybe you fail to remember the back to back all a regional chamionships and the all a state title hes won. he must be doing something right. as far as playing family he starts the kid yea but hes barely in the game after that. prestonsburg will never beat betsy layne for two reasons 1. they are a better team
2. jr newsome is a wayy better coach....Jr newsome is a 15th region legend
phil ivey Wrote:this may be the most idiotic post ive ever heard.
maybe you fail to remember the back to back all a regional chamionships and the all a state title hes won. he must be doing something right. as far as playing family he starts the kid yea but hes barely in the game after that. prestonsburg will never beat betsy layne for two reasons 1. they are a better team

Your post may be the most idiotic post I have ever read. You have terrible grammar. 0-12 Prestonsburg beat Betsy Layne out in the first round of the 15th region All A tournament in 09-10 with Jr. Newsome as the coach. So I wouldn't say Prestonsburg will NEVER beat Betsy Layne. Can you read? I said in my posts he is a GREAT coach. I did not even mention his grandson but he shouldn't even be on the court. Like you said he starts the game but then doesn't play as much as the other players coming off the bench in most games. Don't you find that a little strange? Why does he even start if he doesn't play as much as the other players? The starters get the glory and everyone knows that. The starters are usually the kids that get the All-Tournament awards too. That is the reason he starts. Why would the player who plays more and is the better player not get to start the game?

As for the post a few up I wouldn't exactly say the district is up for grabs. I don't think South Floyd or Allen Central has very much of a chance winning the district. I believe Betsy Layne will be the 2012 58th District champs again but wouldn't be very suprised if Prestonsburg ended up winning.
phil ivey Wrote:this may be the most idiotic post ive ever heard.

Legend?...LEGEND?! lol....give me a break...Valley has had 2 boy's coaches better than him..
Hillbilly Heartthrob Wrote:Legend?...LEGEND?! lol....give me a break...Valley has had 2 boy's coaches better than him..

So, there can only be 2 legendary coaches from the 15th???????? Just saying.....Not sure if I understand your reasoning
First off...go back and read it....I didn't say the 2 coaches were LEGENDARY...I said they were better than him....LEGENDARY is an awful big word for somebody that hasn't been to Rupp that I can remember.
You made a comparison that is neither relevant nor necessary regarding a Betsy Layne coach. What does their coaching ability have to do with another coaches "legendary" status. Again, I do not believe either is legend, just clearing up my post.
Newsome is a good coach and DeRossett is doing as well as anyone and especially in his first year. The 58th will be a great tournament and from the games played this year I believe four of the teams could win it. kind of late in the year to say negative things about coaches or teams and especially if they are putting forth good efforts every night and trying to improve. I don't think any coach would put players out there and try to lose.
Jr. Newsome won the 15th regional tournament in 1980. I think that state tourney was played in Freedom Hall.
Timer Wrote:Jr. Newsome won the 15th regional tournament in 1980. I think that state tourney was played in Freedom Hall.

Oh Geez.
100%SUCCESS Wrote:You made a comparison that is neither relevant nor necessary regarding a Betsy Layne coach. What does their coaching ability have to do with another coaches "legendary" status. Again, I do not believe either is legend, just clearing up my post.

Basically, with his accomplishments....he is a GOOD coach....not legendary.