Aug 31 - 7:30 PM - @ George Washington, WV

Sep 7 - 7:30 PM - Russell

Sep 14 - 7:30 PM - @ Ironton, OH

Sep 21 - 7:30 PM - Rowan County

Sep 28 - 7:30 PM - Boyd County

Oct 5 - 7:30 PM - Belfry

Oct 12 - 7:30 PM - @ Greenup County

Oct 19 - 7:30 PM - @ Johnson Central
SK, why don't we do this like we did Baseball?? The new school year is not even here yet!
^ Several Teams have there schedules out. I've looked for baseball schedules I don't know how many times and they either don't have there schedule out or it's not completely filled out
Putty tats will be lucky to break .500 next year.
You may be suprised. The senior to be class has a pretty impressive overall record on their own. Lost to only Ironton 7th, lost to Ironton and Morgan 8th, undefeated Freshman, Undefeated JV. Ashland returns 6 starting defenders and lose only 1 o lineman. They will have to replace skill players, but return Watts, Salow, and Massey and Elam (backup qb) would have been a starter anywhere else around this area.
Two comments. First, as a I have said in several other threads. People should not get caught up in thinking that middle school success leads to varsity success. Now that being said, I think Ashland does return a good group of players who as washed up said may have started for any other team in their area. Programs like Ashland and Belfry don't just drop off the radar when they lose a good senior class. I am sure Ashland has plenty of guys who are ready to step up and continue the tradition and keep winning. That is the difference in a program and a school that just has a good team every few years.

I am sure more folks down Fball's way would like to think that Ashland will not be very good, but I don't see that happening.
I didn't say they wouldn't be good. I said they would be lucky to be above .500. They have some talent comming back specifically in Elam, Massey and Watts. But they play a very difficult schedule and they have A LOT to replace. They don't have anybody that can give them what Withrow did to stretch the field
and make plays. Whetsel (sp) either. They lose Gregg. Haven't even mentioned Hunter yet. Elam is talented but can he do for that offense what Hunter did? That's a big question mark. I think they have talent for the next couple of years before there is a drop off.
Ashland Will be a very good Team this year, If not better then last year they have The whole starting line back Walters 6'0 225, Justice 6'1 225, O'Bryan 6'4 230, Swift 5'11 200, Armstrong 6'4 245. They also have great speed and they work very hard in the weight room.
strikeout king Wrote:nickname: Tomcats

head coach: Leon hart

2011: 9-3, 2nd round of playoffs

players lost to graduation: 17

2012 varsity schedule
aug 17 - 7:30 pm - lawrence county
win
aug 24 - 7:30 pm - raceland
win
aug 31 - 7:30 pm - @ george washington, wv
lose
sep 7 - 7:30 pm - russell
win
sep 14 - 7:30 pm - @ ironton, oh
win
sep 21 - 7:30 pm - rowan county
win
sep 28 - 7:30 pm - boyd county
win
oct 5 - 7:30 pm - belfry
lose
oct 12 - 7:30 pm - @ greenup county
win
oct 19 - 7:30 pm - @ johnson central

win
What does it really matter? Ashland isn't going anywhere in the playoffs and they know it. Not being mean just stating the facts, I respect their program and what they have in history. They should be the best team in this region year in and year out simply because of the number of kids they have in their school. They should have the best athletes on the field when playing local team, and should win 7 to 8 game every year. Problem is they gotta play cov cath or highlands and those teams are machines and much better than Ashland. Good luck to them and all local teams in 2012.
Russellpride, like you I always believed Ashland had many more students than the other schools is your area but looking at the KHSAA numbers that is not the case. The KHSAA numbers used for football alignment for 2011-2014 show them having about 20 fewer boys than both Johnson Central & Greenup and only 30 more than Boyd Co. & Rowan Co. so for the most part they are all about the same size on any given year. They do have about 100 more boys than Russell. I remember when Russell and Ashland were in the same 3A district and same region with Belfry, my how times have changed. Has Russell's enrollment dropped that much over the last 20 years?
IceQB Wrote:Russellpride, like you I always believed Ashland had many more students than the other schools is your area but looking at the KHSAA numbers that is not the case. The KHSAA numbers used for football alignment for 2011-2014 show them having about 20 fewer boys than both Johnson Central & Greenup and only 30 more than Boyd Co. & Rowan Co. so for the most part they are all about the same size on any given year. They do have about 100 more boys than Russell. I remember when Russell and Ashland were in the same 3A district and same region with Belfry, my how times have changed. Has Russell's enrollment dropped that much over the last 20 years?

Don't know of this but their success sure has.
Enrollment at Russell as well as Ashland has both dropped since the days they were in the same district. Russell has always played up.

As far as a drop off in success at Russell that's debatable. They had a helluva run going for a while. Inevitably you will have a drop off. It's not like they are having losing seasons but they are a long way from dominating as they were. Belfry has gone through it in the past and will again. So to will Ashland. Just as it seems as everybody but Highlands and Trinity do.
This seems like a weak schedule to me. Although JJ will be at EKU...seems to me like the Eagle will be landing in 2012. After losing 17, I am predicting the whole "rebuilding years" excuse.
Same schedule that was considered tough a year ago. At GW, at Ironton, at JC. Ashland did lose some playmakers that had an opportunity to be multi-year starters. However, everyone kept saying that the strength to Ashland was the line play. They only lost one on each side there and return playmakers Watts, Massey, and Salow. It would not suprise me if they are as good if not better than last year.
FBALL Wrote:Enrollment at Russell as well as Ashland has both dropped since the days they were in the same district. Russell has always played up.

As far as a drop off in success at Russell that's debatable. They had a helluva run going for a while. Inevitably you will have a drop off. It's not like they are having losing seasons but they are a long way from dominating as they were. Belfry has gone through it in the past and will again. So to will Ashland. Just as it seems as everybody but Highlands and Trinity do.

Very good points. Most teams do go thru peaks and valleys, but when the structure and tradition is there you can count on teams like Ashland to always be very competetive with some of the states best.
washed up Wrote:Same schedule that was considered tough a year ago. At GW, at Ironton, at JC. Ashland did lose some playmakers that had an opportunity to be multi-year starters. However, everyone kept saying that the strength to Ashland was the line play. They only lost one on each side there and return playmakers Watts, Massey, and Salow. It would not suprise me if they are as good if not better than last year.

Might be a while before we see a defense like Ashland had last season. I heard a lot of people say last year's team was the best since 1990. I totally agree about the significance of the line play, those guys should really make an impact this coming season. I look for Ashland to be a team. I hope they are better than last year.
Born2wearBlack&Gold Wrote:This seems like a weak schedule to me. Although JJ will be at EKU...seems to me like the Eagle will be landing in 2012. After losing 17, I am predicting the whole "rebuilding years" excuse.

JC had a run of tremendous talent come through in the last few years. The combination of JK Hall, Ousley, and Jude all on the field at the same time was really hard to defend against. Partly because they were skill players of a caliber that don't come around very often, much less at the same time. And partly because they were complimented by some big strong linemen. I can't see those things all coming together again at JC for a while, possibly a long while. Just saying.
Rumor is the Baker kid that goes to Boyd Middle is coming back to Ashland as a freshman next year. He would fit right in with Massey and Watts
Speak what you know, not what you think you know FBALL..... maybe just wishful thinking? Lol
Got that whole line back both sides of the ball except for Gregg an cj Johnson who played under Gregg never missed a beat when he subbed for him. the playmakers are already there been there just have to install in positions. I think alot of people believe that, but they had no idea at the depth we had.
Plus the incoming freshman class will have a couple of kids capable of contributing quite a bit.No joke!
Look for #21 (initials Q.B.) gonna be a superstar! I already heard talk of him taking whetsels place ar safety an there's not a doubt this kid will be a 4 yr starter an probably fastest kid in the region.
BADCAT74 Wrote:Speak what you know, not what you think you know FBALL..... maybe just wishful thinking? Lol
Got that whole line back both sides of the ball except for Gregg an cj Johnson who played under Gregg never missed a beat when he subbed for him. the playmakers are already there been there just have to install in positions. I think alot of people believe that, but they had no idea at the depth we had.
Plus the incoming freshman class will have a couple of kids capable of contributing quite a bit.No joke!
Look for #21 (initials Q.B.) gonna be a superstar! I already heard talk of him taking whetsels place ar safety an there's not a doubt this kid will be a 4 yr starter an probably fastest kid in the region.

We will see when the season rolls around. Until then we are all speaking about what we think.

All I'm saying is they play a tough schedule and the lose Alot of playmakers on on offense and defense. I didn't say they would be bad. But I don't think they will be as good as last year particularly on defense.
FBALL Wrote:We will see when the season rolls around. Until then we are all speaking about what we think.

All I'm saying is they play a tough schedule and the lose Alot of playmakers on on offense and defense. I didn't say they would be bad. But I don't think they will be as good as last year particularly on defense.

I can see where you would think that, but we literally lose like 3 people off that defense.
The Johnson kid at d-end spot he wouldve started any other school around. with the Obrian kid at the other d-end they will be solid across the line both sides of the ball,
swift an justice linebackers are back, salow will be back in his spot an malic massey will probably be on other side. Safety will be the freshman Q.B. i think alot of people will be surprised that this defense will be better. Offensively you may be right about losing Withrow, Whetsel. But that's what i like about Hart his flexibility to change to what his players can do well. An next season i think there looking to run the ball alot more although salow an massey have the ability to after the deep ball. Not to mention the double threat of Elam very hard runner an the cannon arm. But like you said were all saying what we think right now. But these kids have been busting it out in the weightroom since before Christmas an they seem really pumped an its only February .
Can't wait til season!!
I think they'll have to run more and I think it's going to be harder to run. Elam is a great athlete but doesn't have the touch or finesse throws that Hunter did. He also as was mentioned wont have Withrow to stretch the field. What Elam can do better is run. Kids a beast.
BADCAT74 Wrote:I can see where you would think that, but we literally lose like 3 people off that defense.
The Johnson kid at d-end spot he wouldve started any other school around. with the Obrian kid at the other d-end they will be solid across the line both sides of the ball,
swift an justice linebackers are back, salow will be back in his spot an malic massey will probably be on other side. Safety will be the freshman Q.B. i think alot of people will be surprised that this defense will be better. Offensively you may be right about losing Withrow, Whetsel. But that's what i like about Hart his flexibility to change to what his players can do well. An next season i think there looking to run the ball alot more although salow an massey have the ability to after the deep ball. Not to mention the double threat of Elam very hard runner an the cannon arm. But like you said were all saying what we think right now. But these kids have been busting it out in the weightroom since before Christmas an they seem really pumped an its only February .
Can't wait til season!!

Uh BADCAT, I do agree the future looks rosey and all but you are a little off on your count of departing starting seniors. Chris Prichard- LB/SAFETY, Ryan Whetsel- LB/SAFETY, Chase Ward- DL, Corey Gregg- DE, Chase Lucas- OLB, Kyle Bush- OLB, Matt McLeod- Moster, and sometimes starters Steven Ramey- ILB, Hunter Gifford- ILB. :biggrin:
gapman Wrote:Uh BADCAT, I do agree the future looks rosey and all but you are a little off on your count of departing starting seniors. Chris Prichard- LB/SAFETY, Ryan Whetsel- LB/SAFETY, Chase Ward- DL, Corey Gregg- DE, Chase Lucas- OLB, Kyle Bush- OLB, Matt McLeod- Moster, and sometimes starters Steven Ramey- ILB, Hunter Gifford- ILB. :biggrin:

Uh no Im right on my count. The way I see it is that 4 of The players u mention are already replaced, most likely 5. but my point is that everyone of those seniors had an equally talented soph or junior as #2 with out missing anything out of the seven you mentioned at least 4 are filled no problem so basically 3 spots are open.....gifford an Ramey are not irrerplaceble players while they were good solid players just simply not irrerplaceble like the others. An I known for months that Q.B. is transferring back to verity for the rest of his 8th grade year rumor is he will more than likely get whetsels place on D.. AN FOR ALL WHO DON'T KNOW HE WENT TO ASHLAND FOR 7 1/2 YEARS LEFT FOR BC HALFWAY THROUGH 7TH GRADE NOW COMING BACK HALFWAY THROUGH 8TH.. so your right i did miscount there's only 2 spots! these guys are gonna roll right on i have all the confidence in the world in them. I really believe this defense will be better!
Coach Hart is a great coach with a great program. What is Russell going to do when Ivan steps aside?
Mid Night Wrote:Coach Hart is a great coach with a great program. What is Russell going to do when Ivan steps aside?

Open up the offense I hope. Sorry had to throw that out there.
Is Ashland in a league or a conference or are they independent. and what division or class are they in? Thanks
Who will be Ashland's QB next year?