Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lexington Catholic 75 - Sylvan Hills (Ark.) 71 (OT)
1/7/2012
Lexington Catholic 75
Sylvan Hills (Ark.) 71 (OT)
Sylvan Hills (Ark.) 18 11 17 15 10 71
Lexington Catholic 14 13 18 16 14 75
Dunkin' Donuts National Shootout
Sylvan Hills (Ark.) (9-4) -- Ziegler 1, Smith 8, Goodwin 37, Patton 8, Jones 7, Featherstone 2, Pearson 8.
Lexington Catholic (13-3) -- Avare 18, Muncy 3, Woomer 2, Ryan 2, Keller 13, Whitman 25, Banahan 12.
Goodwin spent most of the night at point guard where he's been the last four games.

"I like playing the point because I'm able to do more with the ball in my hands," he said. "I can create more for myself than at the two, and I'm more vocal."

Goodwin, who's averaging 27 points, was in attack-mode offensively: 12-for-32 from the field (4-for-12 on threes) and 9-for-10 from the foul line. He also had four steals, two assists and four turnovers.

Sylvan Hills Coach Kevin Davis said when Goodwin laces up his sneakers, "You better buy a ticket because that guy can come up with some stuff. He's so hard to guard because he brings so much variety to the game."

Goodwin was named Mr. Basketball by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette as a junior after averaging 29 points and eight rebounds. But Davis said he still has a big upside.

"That's what Lexington needs to be excited about. He's going to get better and better."

Goodwin said that's why he signed up with Calipari. "He's going to push me every day in practice and in games to get the best out of me, and that's what I'm looking for."

Despite Goodwin's performance, Lexington Catholic won with a balanced attack.

Jack Whitman, a 6-9 junior, had 25 points and five rebounds. Dillon Avare hit six of 11 threes for 18 points.

All eyes were on Poythress in the nightcap as he showed why Clarksville Coach Al Cooper thinks he'll make an impact as a college freshman.

"He's gonna bring loads of energy, No. 1, and No. 2, he's gonna bring a skill set ready to play immediately," Cooper said. "For a big guy, he can handle the ball, he can shoot the three-ball and he can put it on the floor.