Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2011: The Season in Review
I don't know if I am going to be on here on Christmas - regardless, I will be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas. I hope you enjoy all the quality time with your family, the presents you receive, and that you stuff yourselves with ham and cookies (or whatever you'll be eating) to your heart's content.

We're only a little over eight months away from our first football game next year. Pretty exciting. We have a long way to go, but sometimes I think it's good to sit back and take a look at what happened during the football season. I would also like to say thank you to all the high school players who bust their butts 24/7 in the weight room, on the field, and do everything they can to get better and succeed. I doubt anyone would bet against me that most of these boys will be in the weight room working out this day on Christmas Eve. Football is a sport that teaches so much about life, and to see these boys give it their all to represent their school, their community, and their state - is amazing. Regardless if your school is 0-11, 6-5, or 15-0 every year, the entertainment and memories made of going to see a high school game on Friday nights is unforgettable.

Upon first thoughts about this season, my favorites are always the underdogs. How about Hazard? It looked like the Mayfield game was decided well before the game because of how talented and how well Mayfield was playing. Hazard had something to say about that. Mayfield certainly doesn't overlook anybody, but that was just a night that an underdog came through. One example that goes to show, anything can happen on any given night. It's not who is better - it's who plays the right ball at the right time.

How about Belfry? Once again on a "down year" making it to the state title game and giving heavily favored Central the fight of their lives. How about the great sportsmanship by the kids afterward? A great example of what high school football truly is - breathtaking games that look like they could go either way, and then the kids showing great sportsmanship afterward toward each other, win lose or draw. That game reminded me of a couple of years ago when underdog Simon Kenton went against heavily favored Trinity in the championship game. Simon Kenton lost. In fact, they were shut out - but the great sportsmanship truly showed what high school football was about. It was rewarding seeing the picture of the Trinity player in a huddle of Simon Kenton players after the game, all celebrating with each other like true champions.

How about Collins? Not too much to be expected from a first year football program. Maybe they would get a good weight program started to develop players, maybe win two to three football games to get a good start, maybe....

win the regional title. Play a solid schedule and be competitive in every game after dropping their first game to Meade County. And lose a tight, classic game to Franklin-Simpson in the end, who went on to give Highlands everything they wanted in the state championship game (the score doesn't show at all how close the game truly was). If Collins comes out like THIS starting out - just think of what a program that is going to be. This is great for the young men, great for the school, and great for KY football. These kids, and these seniors, have a lot to be proud of in leading a first year program that far.

Now, on to the favored teams...or team.

How about Trinity? It's one thing to be an underdog - you're not expected to win, it's not supposed to happen, so you don't have the target on your back. Trinity went through the entire season wearing the bullseye and dealing with every team giving their absolute best effort. Who wouldn't play their best ball when they have a chance to knock off the #1 team in the nation? Trinity played their best ball all year, knocking off powerhouses like Louisville and Cincinnati St. X, or Indianapolis Cathedral and Montgomery Bell. Trinity proved themselves time and again, and it's exciting that they stand a good chance of possibly doing it again next year.

The bottom line: What an exciting time for KY football. You have the #1 team in the country over here, as well as two other teams (Bowling Green, Highlands) that have cracked the top 100. Bowling Green, if I am correct, is also in the top fifty nationwide. This past decade I think more people than ever have got to see what KY football is about - passion, pride, winning, and most importantly, developing honest, contributing members of society - and I have no doubt in saying that any coach in this state will trade all their wins and their titles just to see every one of these young men succeed in the real world.

You have to be proud of each and every kid on each and every team in this state for making Kentucky football what it is. Win, lose, or draw, it's the effort that counts - and all kids deserve a major pat on the back for what they do. It's always great to see these kids succeed on the field - but in reality, not everybody will be playing college ball and in fact, most of them will not be playing college ball. So to see a kid bust his butt, and learn the life skills needed to succeed in athletics - that is more valuable than any state championship or undefeated season.

Now that this post is done, I officially announce my retirement from trolling. :Thumbs:
^I'll need to see 1200 non trolling posts before I believe that. lol
Won't take me too long for that lol.
By far your best post yet.
^ I've made plenty more sensible ones, they're just overshadowed by my 1,100 other troll posts. Big Grin
WideRight05 Wrote:I don't know if I am going to be on here on Christmas - regardless, I will be the first to wish you all a Merry Christmas. I hope you enjoy all the quality time with your family, the presents you receive, and that you stuff yourselves with ham and cookies (or whatever you'll be eating) to your heart's content.

We're only a little over eight months away from our first football game next year. Pretty exciting. We have a long way to go, but sometimes I think it's good to sit back and take a look at what happened during the football season. I would also like to say thank you to all the high school players who bust their butts 24/7 in the weight room, on the field, and do everything they can to get better and succeed. I doubt anyone would bet against me that most of these boys will be in the weight room working out this day on Christmas Eve. Football is a sport that teaches so much about life, and to see these boys give it their all to represent their school, their community, and their state - is amazing. Regardless if your school is 0-11, 6-5, or 15-0 every year, the entertainment and memories made of going to see a high school game on Friday nights is unforgettable.

Upon first thoughts about this season, my favorites are always the underdogs. How about Hazard? It looked like the Mayfield game was decided well before the game because of how talented and how well Mayfield was playing. Hazard had something to say about that. Mayfield certainly doesn't overlook anybody, but that was just a night that an underdog came through. One example that goes to show, anything can happen on any given night. It's not who is better - it's who plays the right ball at the right time.

How about Belfry? Once again on a "down year" making it to the state title game and giving heavily favored Central the fight of their lives. How about the great sportsmanship by the kids afterward? A great example of what high school football truly is - breathtaking games that look like they could go either way, and then the kids showing great sportsmanship afterward toward each other, win lose or draw. That game reminded me of a couple of years ago when underdog Simon Kenton went against heavily favored Trinity in the championship game. Simon Kenton lost. In fact, they were shut out - but the great sportsmanship truly showed what high school football was about. It was rewarding seeing the picture of the Trinity player in a huddle of Simon Kenton players after the game, all celebrating with each other like true champions.

How about Collins? Not too much to be expected from a first year football program. Maybe they would get a good weight program started to develop players, maybe win two to three football games to get a good start, maybe....

win the regional title. Play a solid schedule and be competitive in every game after dropping their first game to Meade County. And lose a tight, classic game to Franklin-Simpson in the end, who went on to give Highlands everything they wanted in the state championship game (the score doesn't show at all how close the game truly was). If Collins comes out like THIS starting out - just think of what a program that is going to be. This is great for the young men, great for the school, and great for KY football. These kids, and these seniors, have a lot to be proud of in leading a first year program that far.

Now, on to the favored teams...or team.

How about Trinity? It's one thing to be an underdog - you're not expected to win, it's not supposed to happen, so you don't have the target on your back. Trinity went through the entire season wearing the bullseye and dealing with every team giving their absolute best effort. Who wouldn't play their best ball when they have a chance to knock off the #1 team in the nation? Trinity played their best ball all year, knocking off powerhouses like Louisville and Cincinnati St. X, or Indianapolis Cathedral and Montgomery Bell. Trinity proved themselves time and again, and it's exciting that they stand a good chance of possibly doing it again next year.

The bottom line: What an exciting time for KY football. You have the #1 team in the country over here, as well as two other teams (Bowling Green, Highlands) that have cracked the top 100. Bowling Green, if I am correct, is also in the top fifty nationwide. This past decade I think more people than ever have got to see what KY football is about - passion, pride, winning, and most importantly, developing honest, contributing members of society - and I have no doubt in saying that any coach in this state will trade all their wins and their titles just to see every one of these young men succeed in the real world.

You have to be proud of each and every kid on each and every team in this state for making Kentucky football what it is. Win, lose, or draw, it's the effort that counts - and all kids deserve a major pat on the back for what they do. It's always great to see these kids succeed on the field - but in reality, not everybody will be playing college ball and in fact, most of them will not be playing college ball. So to see a kid bust his butt, and learn the life skills needed to succeed in athletics - that is more valuable than any state championship or undefeated season.

Now that this post is done, I officially announce my retirement from trolling. :Thumbs:
This was Collins' second year. They went 11-2 last season, losing in the regional finals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ My mistake on that. Still a very good season for Collins.
What has happened that caused the change in you,Wideright05?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I just don't have the heart to be the troll I intended to be lol.

Merry Christmas everybody.
WideRight05 Wrote:I just don't have the heart to be the troll I intended to be lol.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Good choice. I knew you had a heart in there somewhere.:Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Look forward to not being a complete asshole now haha.
WideRight05 Wrote:Look forward to not being a complete asshole now haha.

We are all looking forward to that. I didn't know you had it in you, but that was an outstanding post. Good luck next season.
Thank you AP, and same to you. I had it in me the whole time. Big Grin