Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunbar 59, Rockcastle County 55
Paul Dunbar girls knock off another ranked foe
By Mark Maloney

The Bulldog is out of the bag.Ignored in the pre-season coaches' poll, the Paul Laurence Dunbar girls' basketball team continues to prove itself.The Lady Bulldogs improved to 7-2 Tuesday, knocking off Rockcastle County 59-55 in the quarterfinals of the iHigh Fayette County Invitational at Bryan Station.The Lady Rockets, No. 17, became Dunbar's fifth top-25 victim. Already on the list were No. 8 Ryle, No. 9 Anderson County, No. 16 Scott County and No. 21 Bryan Station.The latter, with a 50-35 victory over Boyle County, gained a rematch with Dunbar in Wednesday's semifinals at Tates Creek. Dunbar won 49-46 last week."We're not real scared," said Sarah Van Horn, in her first season as Dunbar's coach. "These kids go out and battle each night. They take it one game at a time. Being underrated is fine — no one expects these kids to really do much just because of the history of Dunbar with new coaches and staff. But these kids really have a lot of talent and a lot of heart. ... They're going to have to figure out that people are going to be eyeing for them now. We're not under the radar anymore."Morgan McEldowney, a 5-foot-11 senior, went 4-for-6 from three-point range and finished with 23 points and five rebounds to lead Dunbar."She's been struggling a little bit, but a huge game tonight," Van Horn said. "Rebounded and really came out and led this team to a victory tonight."Lakeena Parks, a 5-10 junior, added 16 points and eight rebounds."I worry about my rebounds more than I worry about my points," Parks said. "We're real good at defense, and we try to stop the ball."Lexus Edwards added seven points, eight rebounds, five assists and four steals.The Bulldogs finished with a 36-26 edge in rebounds and outscored the Rockets 15-6 from the three-point line.Alexis Chasteen paced Rockcastle (5-3) with 16 points and five rebounds. Katie Cowan and Michaela Hunter added 11 points each, with Hunter handing out 10 assists. Kadi Cobb totaled 10 points and five steals.Dunbar led 36-27 at halftime and widened the margin to 47-31 in the third quarter.Rockcastle closed with a 24-12 rush to make it close."My kids play hard all the time," Van Horn said. "As fast a tempo as we play, we've got to accept some mistakes sometimes. We let them battle back, Rockcastle, and give them credit for not giving up. But these kids keep battling. They keep finding ways to win."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/21/20014...rylink=cpy
I love my Rockets but how were they ranked? They returned very little this year. Nobody really expected Hunter to have the season that she is, and they have not really beaten anyone. I don't get it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:I love my Rockets but how were they ranked? They returned very little this year. Nobody really expected Hunter to have the season that she is, and they have not really beaten anyone. I don't get it.

I agree with you somewhat. it all depends on what poll you are looking at. alot of rock's players are good but young. they just had to play behind some great players last year. Hunter is a D1 type player. some big time schools have showed interest in her. my opinion Dunbar is a top 10. good ballteam.
Loves upsets especially when teams are under ranked! Congrats Dunbar!