Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All sekc selections announced
Football: Bell, Harlan win SEKC titles
Tuesday, December 6
Bell, Harlan win SEKC titles

With a 4-0 conference record, Harlan captured the A/AA division of the Southeastern Kentucky Conference.

Junior running back/defensive back Dakota Morris named player of the year and J.B. Donahue was selected coach of the year in the All-SEKC team announced recently.

Harlan's Dylan Chasteen was named defensive lineman of the year and teammate Eric Young was selected as special teams player of the year.

Middlesboro's Chase Roark was selected as quarterback of the year. WIlliamsburg's Logan Hamblin was selected as all-purpose player of the year. Pineville's Andrew Douglas was named offensive back of the year. Williamsburg's Jacob Jeffers was selected as offensive lineman of the year. Lynn Camp's Ryan Donley was named kicker/punter of the year. Pineville's Kyle Jackson was named linebacker of the year. Williamsburg freshman Skyler Griffith was selected as receiver of the year. Lynn Camp's Tommy Hatfield was honored as defensive back of the year.

Bell County won the 3A-5A division of the league and star running back Cory Davenport led the all-conference team as player of the year. Wayne Mills was named coach of the year in his first season after replacing Dudley Hilton.

Harlan County finished second in the league and several Bears received special honors. Marcus McMillian tied with Corbin's Brady Foley as offensive back of the year. Michael Smith shared the honor of offensive lineman of the year with Bell County's Caleb Carter. Jordy Brewer, also a standout quarterback, was named defensive back of the year for his play at safety. Josh Jenkins was selected as kicker of the year.

Corbin's Matt Jewell and Bell County's Eric Miller tied as linebacker of the year. Corbin's Josh Jewell and Bell County's Tyler Green shared the award as receiver of the year. Knox Central's Codi Diamond and Corbin's Grant Grigsby tied as defensive lineman of the year. Clay County's Sam Carr was named special teams player of the year. Knox Central's Jonathan Barger was quarterback of the year and teammate Jeffery Canady was named all purpose player of the year.

The all-conference team includes:

Bell County — Jonathan Burnett, Dylan Cox, WIlliam Elliott, Jacob Johnson, Brent Marsee, Cory Osolonian, Jonathan Polly and Jeffery Saylor.

Harlan County — D.J. Brock, Aaron Caldwell, Chase Calton, Kainer Caudill, Austin Maggard, Jake Middleton, Coty Miracle and Carson Whitehead.

Corbin — Tommy Bailey, Cody Boyd, Ty Cobb, Mitchell Frederick, Hunter Grubb, Cody Harp, Nick Howington and Tanner Powers.

Williamsburg — Chris Helton, Dakota Loy, Jefferson Patrick, Micah Purdie, Chris Sawyers, Corey Shelton, Jason Sisk and Dalton Sizemore.

Harlan — David Allen, Ryland Atkins, Vince Bianchi, Cody Logan, Dalton Overbay, Ty Saragas, Christian Turbyfill, Demarcus Williams and Okey Boggs.

Knox Central — Hayden Canady, Devon Evans, Jonathan Gist, Tyler Grubb, Braxton Lovett and Jonathan Shepherd.

Pineville — Jeremie Bartles, Tyler Carroll, Gary Hurst, Jamie Roan and Joey Patterson.

Clay County — Josh Burchfield, Matthew Hampton, Jacob Hyde and Christian McNeal.

Middlesboro — Denny Buis, Tanner Mike, Austin Poindexter and Tyler Prater.

Lynn Camp — Derrick Girdner and Austin Hall.

Honorable mention selections from Harlan County included Zach Chitwood, Cory Chorak, J.W. Cooper and Treyvon Long.

Harlan honorable mention selections included Stephen Jones, Dawson Charles, Andrew Brock and Casey Gambrel.

This article was taken from Harlanonline.com and doesn't include honorable mentions selectee's from teams other than Harlan Ind. and Harlan Co..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats to the Dragons for their accomplishments in the SEKC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats to my "little" buddy Codi Diamond over at Knox Central. Good job son! You deserve some kudos! Good luck in college.:Clap::Thumbs:
Ive never understood why these keep this thing goin....

dont get me wrong, its a nice honor for the kids, and a quick way to get noticed, but im not sure what its for at this point.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive never understood why these keep this thing goin....

dont get me wrong, its a nice honor for the kids, and a quick way to get noticed, but im not sure what its for at this point.

I think you just said it Runitupthegut,it's a nice way for teams and kids to be recognized for their reular season accomplishment's. Only a very few will recieve anything from the All State honors. Although the SEKC isn't what it used to be when Rockcastle Co.,Laurel Co. and Whitley Co. were in it and there were only 4 classes instead of 6. The individual awards don't seem to mean as much being broken into 2 seperate divisions. Back in the 80's it was a pretty nice accomplishment to win the SEKC or be voted Player of the Year or Lineman of the Year when the honor was for the entire group of school's. Especially for the smaller school's. Some of the school's this year had as many as 12 player's recognized. Back in the day the winner of the SEKC might only have like 4 first teamer's and 3 second teamer's and maybe one of the player's of the year. But like everything else nowaday's it kind of watered down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats to all the ones listed.. and I think any time you can give young student athletes recognition for their hard work and time put into programs it's a great idea. A pat on the back is a small reward for all the time and effort these athletes put into their respective programs... Good Job.
^
Well said.
I remember when Whitley was a part of it and as you said, it was a much bigger deal.

Its nice to see the kids still getting some attention from it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Well said.
I remember when Whitley was a part of it and as you said, it was a much bigger deal.

Its nice to see the kids still getting some attention from it.

Why don't they get back into it?
Amped 88 Wrote:Why don't they get back into it?

I honestly think they never will.
Other than the all conference teams and stuff it doesnt quite mean near as much as it use to.
If you had to play a team in the SEKC every year you were in it and it rotated id definitely wanna be in it as we'd get to play Corbin and Wburg, but that dont happen so i dont think youll ever see Whitley back in it.
^^ Some teams aren't even in it to win it I don't think. Just to get their player's recognized. Some teams didn't play a complete schedule of teams and other's did. Williamsburg and Middlesboro,for example,only played 3 conference games in the regular season. The two winner's,Bell Co. and Harlan Ind. had played 4. Back in the day I think it was 5 games and you had to play them all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Backwoods Wrote:^^ Some teams aren't even in it to win it I don't think. Just to get their player's recognized. Some teams didn't play a complete schedule of teams and other's did. Williamsburg and Middlesboro,for example,only played 3 conference games in the regular season. The two winner's,Bell Co. and Harlan Ind. had played 4. Back in the day I think it was 5 games and you had to play them all.

Your definitely right on that one.
I remember when i played it was actually a huge deal to be recognized in it.
I was all SEKC when i played and it was a pretty cool thing to have.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive never understood why these keep this thing goin....

Whitley County should get back in the SEKC for our kids and that is reason enough!!!
I would love to see Whitley Co. rejoin the SEKC. Also North and South Laurel and Rockcastle Co.. We all know that talent in the southeast gets snubbed when it comes to All State honors and it would be good to see the SEKC make a comeback. Harlan has a several of those big brass football's in their trophy case from back when it really meant something and I'd like to get back to that. I know several guy's who did make All SEKC but never made an All State team and went on to college to become small college All America's. John Lutrell (Harlan),Burly Burkhart (Rockcastle Co.),etc... I'd also like to see the SEKC do a Hall of Fame from all the different player's of the year at their prospective position's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
redstorm Wrote:Whitley County should get back in the SEKC for our kids and that is reason enough!!!

I agree.