• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Laurel 72 Whitley Co. 70
Final
12/6/2011
South Laurel 72
Whitley Co. 70
South Laurel 21 16 20 15 72
Whitley Co. 19 12 18 21 70
South Laurel (2-2) -- Grubb 7, Jones 6, Sanders 12, Rader 5, Allen 2, Slavey 15, Baxter 8, Mitchell 4, Schasser 13.
Whitley Co. (0-4) -- Couch 7, Petrey 20, Powers 19, Lawson 6, Z. Rutherford 5, D. Rutherford 2, Sasko 11.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...z1foMQmexf
Congrats to Coach Davis and his team.
Ouch! Yet another loss for Whitley Co! Hopefully this won't continue!

Congrats Cards!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Nice win.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Im really surprised Whitley played them this close.
South is still way behind Corbin right now.
From the looks of it, Corbin will take this distrcit with ease...
Heard the foul count was South 33 to Whitley's 13 for the game. Could be a little bit of the reason it was so close if true. Heard most of the fouls where called on South in the 4th allowing Whitley to stay close and allowed them to make a run in the last few mins of the game.
I thought South looked a little better than Corbin this summer. Of course, Corbin did add a player and South lost a couple. I think the 50th will be pretty interesting.
whitley had 35 attempts from the foul line while south had 13.was a fun game to watch.i thought number 3 for whitley did a good job handling souths full court press.
LexBaller Wrote:Heard the foul count was South 33 to Whitley's 13 for the game. Could be a little bit of the reason it was so close if true. Heard most of the fouls where called on South in the 4th allowing Whitley to stay close and allowed them to make a run in the last few mins of the game.

Its alway the damn refs....
a lot of fouls were called in the 4th quarter.
After a long time of lurking, I had to register just to throw my ten cents in. I was at the game, and the second half officiating was pretty one sided. I know that South's aggressive press causes fouls, but I seen plenty of touch fouls called, "anticipation" calls, and some very questionable blocking.
I lost count how many times a South player would draw contact in the paint, and the refs would let them play. Saw a Whitley county player throw the chicken wing out on a South player during a chase for a loose ball, ref right there, no call. So, yeah, Whitley getting to the stripe in the fourth really helped keep the margin below 10, and helped them tie it a 70.
That said, Whitley looks like a team that will improve as the year goes along. Handled the press well, and maintained their composure at the point that it looked like South would run them out of the gym. Also, not the biggest guys in the world, but they have a knack for getting to the rim. Decent team, and I'm shocked they're 0-4.
South is definitely a work in progress. The 3 point shooting is there with Slavey and Baxter. South, at this point, looked very susceptible in the post. The big guys looked unable to collect feeds or a loose ball. And, they weren't able to keep Whitley off the offensive boards. I think South will hold their own against Corbin, but will have big problems with Barbourville, KC, Harlan county, or Bell county.
Where did the Baxter kid come from who plays for South Laurel? I don't remember him.
KYHoopsFan71 Wrote:After a long time of lurking, I had to register just to throw my ten cents in. I was at the game, and the second half officiating was pretty one sided. I know that South's aggressive press causes fouls, but I seen plenty of touch fouls called, "anticipation" calls, and some very questionable blocking.
I lost count how many times a South player would draw contact in the paint, and the refs would let them play. Saw a Whitley county player throw the chicken wing out on a South player during a chase for a loose ball, ref right there, no call. So, yeah, Whitley getting to the stripe in the fourth really helped keep the margin below 10, and helped them tie it a 70.
That said, Whitley looks like a team that will improve as the year goes along. Handled the press well, and maintained their composure at the point that it looked like South would run them out of the gym. Also, not the biggest guys in the world, but they have a knack for getting to the rim. Decent team, and I'm shocked they're 0-4.
South is definitely a work in progress. The 3 point shooting is there with Slavey and Baxter. South, at this point, looked very susceptible in the post. The big guys looked unable to collect feeds or a loose ball. And, they weren't able to keep Whitley off the offensive boards. I think South will hold their own against Corbin, but will have big problems with Barbourville, KC, Harlan county, or Bell county.

Good post, welcome to the site.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Where did the Baxter kid come from who plays for South Laurel? I don't remember him.

Baxter was in middle school last year, but was playing up on the JV level as an 8th grader. Kid has a good shot, ability to get inside and create. Typical for a young guy, he needs to work on upper body strength and defense. From what I've seen, very good potential, and I could see him as potential all state by his senior season.