Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powell County 82 - Owsley County 77
Final

1 - Powell turns the ball over way too much

2 - Powell fouls way too much
I would love to know the foul totals for both teams. I was keeping up with your post on the game and sounded like it was one sided. This game was aty Owlsey, right?
^ Owsley was called for a lot of fouls too. Owsley had several players with 4 fouls in the 3rd. Owsley only played a few players so the fouls that were called on owsley all where on the few players that played. Powell played a lot of players spreading there fouls out
Powell Co. 82
Owsley Co. 77

Powell Co. 23 15 22 22 82
Owsley Co. 16 23 18 20 77

Powell Co. (2-2) -- Conner 10, Dennis 10, Pelfrey 32, Monnett 3, Marcum 23, Goodwin 2, Hubbard 2.

Owsley Co. (2-2) -- Grove 17, Allen 14, Mason 2, Holmes 8, Shelby 15, C. Hall 20, B. Hall 1.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2009/12/02/10403...z1fpDnJNDA
Owsley took the lead late in the game but couldn't hold on. It was anyone's game within the last minute but Owsley missed some free throws and some shots in close. Powell had a 1 point lead, Owsley fouled and they made both free throws to go up by 3. Owsley missed a 3 pointer to tie it with about 15 seconds left on the clock. They fouled again and Powell converted for the 5 point win.

I was a little surprised by the Owls tonight. They start 4 sophomores and a junior, and most of their subs are sophmores. The kids played hard, and Powell's press didn't really bother them very much. Defense looked pretty good. They didn't quit. The youngstrs may surprise a few this year. Though a loss tonight, I was still impressed with them.
officials were horrible in this one. owsley players were walkin bout everytime they had the ball. fouls were way one sided idk what game u watched but played played the starting five for most of the game. i do agree powell did turn it over alot but its hard to make good passes an stuff with ppl all over your arms an stuff. the owls do play hard but this score is only evident of the refs. dont know what they were doing.
I am very impressed with Owsley's performance tonight! Fouls or no fouls they played a great game and are doing really well with a younger team! I can't wait till Friday!!

Congrats Owls!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
basketballfan10 Wrote:officials were horrible in this one. owsley players were walkin bout everytime they had the ball. fouls were way one sided idk what game u watched but played played the starting five for most of the game. i do agree powell did turn it over alot but its hard to make good passes an stuff with ppl all over your arms an stuff. the owls do play hard but this score is only evident of the refs. dont know what they were doing.

like I said before Owsley only played a few players so the fouls that Owsley were called for were on the players that played, Powell played a lot more players than owsley did so Powell's fouls were spread out. The Ref's let them play, yes there was some missed calls. One was an owsley player ran over I believe it was Conner and nothing was called and there in the 2nd half Matt Pelfrey stole the ball and the announcers (powell's announcers) said he sould have been called for a foul. But they ain't no sense in getting on here and taking anything away from the Owsley County Players saying it could have been a blowout or it should have been a blowout or anything like that because they fought hard and didn't give up. If Powell can limit the turnovers (which is gonna kill them) then they'll be a decent team but if they can't then it might be a long year for the Pirates. They did play well, I'm not taking anything away from them but the calls wasn't onesided from what I was hearing.

Every team in the 56th are down from last year except Owsley because they didn't lose as much as Lee, Estill and Powell did so there gonna be a good team this year and will surprise a few people this year.
basketballfan10 Wrote:officials were horrible in this one. owsley players were walkin bout everytime they had the ball. fouls were way one sided idk what game u watched but played played the starting five for most of the game. i do agree powell did turn it over alot but its hard to make good passes an stuff with ppl all over your arms an stuff. the owls do play hard but this score is only evident of the refs. dont know what they were doing.

LOL, to hear you explain it Powell didn't foul any that should be called, only Owsley. Powell pressed all night and bodied up the people they were guarding. Actually, they could have been whistled for a bunch more fouls with plenty of justification. The refs did call the game tight, but it was called the same both ways. Owsley didn't get any more breaks than Powell did. There were calls against Owsley that I didn't agree with either, but that's part of the game.
You are one of the people that was predicting a 25 to 30 point blowout and it just didn't happen. Owsley happens to be a lot better than we all thought they were. Powell won tonight because they are quite a bit deeper on their bench and I believe the Owls wore down in the last quarter.
Heck, we lost, but I thought it was a highly competitive game and a good game to watch. Quit whining and crying about refs and give credit to both teams for playing an entertaining game.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:I am very impressed with Owsley's performance tonight! Fouls or no fouls they played a great game and are doing really well with a younger team! I can't wait till Friday!!

Congrats Owls!!

Should be a BIG crowd Friday night, with the girls and boys both playing.
Back in the 1980's and '90's you couldn't wedge people in with a shoehorn in either Owsley or Lee's gyms when the two were playing. You had to get to the game early for a seat and to not have to walk a mile to the gym. But that was back before ESPN had multiple sites to watch basketball at home. I think that has really hurt high school attendance in today's games. However, Friday night will probably be Owsley's biggest gate of the season.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:LOL, to hear you explain it Powell didn't foul any that should be called, only Owsley. Powell pressed all night and bodied up the people they were guarding. Actually, they could have been whistled for a bunch more fouls with plenty of justification. The refs did call the game tight, but it was called the same both ways. Owsley didn't get any more breaks than Powell did. There were calls against Owsley that I didn't agree with either, but that's part of the game.
You are one of the people that was predicting a 25 to 30 point blowout and it just didn't happen. Owsley happens to be a lot better than we all thought they were. Powell won tonight because they are quite a bit deeper on their bench and I believe the Owls wore down in the last quarter.
Heck, we lost, but I thought it was a highly competitive game and a good game to watch. Quit whining and crying about refs and give credit to both teams for playing an entertaining game.

After this one, it's looking like the 56th is going to be competitive! Should be another dandy on Friday! You gonna be there?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Should be a BIG crowd Friday night, with the girls and boys both playing.
Back in the 1980's and '90's you couldn't wedge people in with a shoehorn in either Owsley or Lee's gyms when the two were playing. You had to get to the game early for a seat and to not have to walk a mile to the gym. But that was back before ESPN had multiple sites to watch basketball at home. I think that has really hurt high school attendance in today's games. However, Friday night will probably be Owsley's biggest gate of the season.

It always is a big crowd! Maybe not as big as back then, but still a lot of fans. You're showing your age LOOKAYANNER!:biggrin: I plan on getting there fairly early because it always seems like its hard to find a parking spot when these two get together!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:After this one, it's looking like the 56th is going to be competitive! Should be another dandy on Friday! You gonna be there?
Yes, I'll be there. I haven't missed but 2 Lee-Owsley games since they resumed playing again in 1977-78.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Yes, I'll be there. I haven't missed but 2 Lee-Owsley games since they resumed playing again in 1977-78.

See ya there! Good Luck! :Thumbs:

Now back to the Owsley/Powell game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats Powell
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
The Owsley Owls played a great game. They are young and not deep off the bench but the boys played a smart, intense game. If Owsley hits some shots at the end Powell goes home with the loss. All I read this week was a 25 point blow-out (by halftime), Powell fans better enjoy this year because you will be seeing the same bunch of kids for the next several years. And as you saw last night they aren't afraid of you.
Owlsey played a great game and they are a very underestimated team, and they can use that to their advantage. Powell played an okay game it wasn't their best game, I hope they pull things together. Yeah I mean there is always something to blame the lose on or a close game on. The game is over each team needs to use this game as a building experience and get ready for the next few games because they both have games coming up that can show people what kind of seasons each team will have. The best of luck to both teams.
piratefan24 Wrote:Owlsey played a great game and they are a very underestimated team, and they can use that to their advantage. Powell played an okay game it wasn't their best game, I hope they pull things together. Yeah I mean there is always something to blame the lose on or a close game on. The game is over each team needs to use this game as a building experience and get ready for the next few games because they both have games coming up that can show people what kind of seasons each team will have. The best of luck to both teams.

A mature post, thank you. Well stated.