Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History made at Garrard County last night
By advancing to their fifth championship game in 9 years, the Belfry Pirates accomplished a feat that has never been done before in eastern Kentucky high school football. Pikeville played in championship games 4 out of 5 years, but they have not returned to the championship since 1991. This accomplishment should not be overlooked, and makes a very justifiable statement that other teams may have more championships than the Pirates, but Belfry's program has become the most consistent in the mountains.
Look forward to meeting Belfry again next year.. Hope, the Pirates have an excellent,
injury free, State Championship WIN to take back to the mountains on Saturday!!!!
Furthering my hatred/respect for Beechwood....
Very nice...keep it up boys.
State titles are hard to bring back to pike county.
^Very, but I think it's the Pirates year!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Sometimes its easy getting there.
Its winning it thats tough.

I dont think Belfry will play within 4 TD's of Central
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Sometimes its easy getting there.
Its winning it thats tough.

I dont think Belfry will play within 4 TD's of Central

how many times your team been there?
bucslover68 Wrote:By advancing to their fifth championship game in 9 years, the Belfry Pirates accomplished a feat that has never been done before in eastern Kentucky high school football. Pikeville played in championship games 4 out of 5 years, but they have not returned to the championship since 1991. This accomplishment should not be overlooked, and makes a very justifiable statement that other teams may have more championships than the Pirates, but Belfry's program has become the most consistent in the mountains.

Hate to burst your bubble but Lynch was from Harlan County, right?

Lynch advanced to the Class A finals in the first five years ('59 to '63) and 6 times in 10 years. They won four of those six appearances.
Hatz Wrote:Hate to burst your bubble but Lynch was from Harlan County, right?

Lynch advanced to the Class A finals in the first five years ('59 to '63) and 6 times in 10 years. They won four of those six appearances.

I do stand corrected. Lynch East Main went to the finals 5 out of 9 years also, and 6 out of 10 as you said. So Belfry ties their mountain record through 9 seasons. I guess I was thinking of the more modern day powerhouses such as Pikeville, Corbin, Bell and Breathitt Counties. However, Lynch East Main was definitely the powerhouse of the late fifities and sixties. Next year Belfry will look to further tie them by playing in 6 out of 10 championship games. I aslo believe that LEM was, and is, the only eastern Kentucky team to play in 4 straight championship games. Pikeville was next closest with their 4 out of 5 run.