Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds shopping Yonder Alonzo
The Reds are offering Yonder Alonso as trade bait in their search for a closer or a No. 2 starter, reports Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown. Reds GM Walt Jocketty has spoken to several teams --- including the A's, Blue Jays, Indians and Rays --- about Alonso, though we heard earlier this week that the Reds thought Alonso was too much to give up for Oakland closer Andrew Bailey.

Alonso is regarded as Cincinnati's top hitting prospect, if one without a Major League position since Joey Votto is cemented at first base. The 24-year-old has an OPS of .837 in four minor league seasons and hit .330/.398/.545 in 98 plate appearances with the Reds last year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/re...lonso.html
I agree that the Reds should not even consider giving up Alonso for Andrew Bailey, unless there are some other players involved in the deal. No closer is ever worth giving up a player who should at least be a productive, everyday player, and potentially a Joey Votto-like hitter.

On the other hand, if the A's would like to include Trevor Cahill into the deal, now we're going somewhere. Maybe something like Alonso, Homer Bailey, and Juan Francisco for Andrew Bailey and Cahill?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode]I'd rather keep him and have him train more and more in LF.

He can adjust to it if they try it.[/FONT]
I hate the fact that the Reds are even considering letting Yonder go, but if they are, the MUST get a #1 or #2 pitcher from somewhere.
If i was Cincy i would give Massett to a high school team for free.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If i was Cincy i would give Massett to a high school team for free.

What High School team would want him???
^
Good point.

Why is it that the reds cant ever get a good pitching staff?
I can hardly remember there beiing any shutdown starters at Cincy, and from danny graves (before he was a starter) to Rodriguez, theye always had closers who have really sucked.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Good point.

Why is it that the reds cant ever get a good pitching staff?
I can hardly remember there beiing any shutdown starters at Cincy, and from danny graves (before he was a starter) to Rodriguez, theye always had closers who have really sucked.

Jose Rijo.

Hopefully Cueto is on his way to being the Reds' ace for the forseeable future.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ I agree. Cueto can finish his carer with the Reds as one of their best ever. He has a lot of "Rijo" in him. He has fun, but he can be menacing on the mound.