Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is Your Best High School Football Moment?
For me pretty easy--

1993: Conner Vs Highlands, second round of the playoffs--

Playing the defending state champions on their home turf, we jumped out to an early 20 to 0 lead. (Which was surreal to start with). As the game went on, Highlands started to come back. With 6 minutes left to go in the game, Highlands went up 23 to 20. So, we get the ball, drive down the field. We get down to the 3 and can't punch it in. The ball goes to our kicker who was very good--but hadn't converted a kick in 3 straight games. With 6 seconds left, the kick was up ---- Good.

The game goes to OT.

Highlands get the ball, 1st down--hold, 2nd down--3 yards, 3rd down--3 yards. 4th down (which is still surprising to me), Duffy elects to kick the field goal. Which ends up good.

We get the ball.
1st down: George "the bowling ball" Duvall 3 yards
2nd down: Duvall 4 more yards

By this time--the crowd was completely on out of control. The loudest I could ever remember being around in my life. Highlands FINALLY decides to to go to goaline defense (which was a 65). We walk up to the line. Everyone is on edge. It is 3rd and 3.

We line up to run the old stand by--444 Ice (basic isolation with our 5'2 140 pound fullback leading on ILB). I put my hand on the ball. QB under center. Count, cadence. I had backside A gap man--I cut him--he falls on top of me--he is much bigger. And I think about the line from the BOOK--Friday Night Lights--"he didn't look up because the crowd would tell him the outcome of the play . . . . . ." But instead of seeing a bunch of Highlands players jumping around all over each other--I see the Bowling Ball doing a backflip in the endzone.

Final
Conner 29
Highlands 26

You don't have to write a book--but what is your best moment?
I would say beating Russell. Coach Holcomb took over in 1985. Russell was always the achilies heal for Breathitt first round of the playoffs. We opened with Russell, Played them first round of playoffs, beat them both times. We were the dist champs, beat Belfry for the title but they got their revenge and beat us in the regional at Breathitt.
We were the first Breathitt team to beat Russell.
scoring a defensive touchdown
or getting a sac at belfry
Prestonsburg over Breathitt in the second round 2004.
Beating SV in triple OT.
or beating SC in double OT...that was great. We were behind 14-0 at the half. Tied it up right at the end of regulation. Made some big plays in OT.
Who knows....both games felt great.
Well this isnt for me but my friend was a freshman lineman playing in varsity and his first big sack...it was awesome to him...he said just gettin up off the qb was the most amazing feeling during his whole freshman year...mine was my first catch...its was killer
Blackcat75 Wrote:scoring a defensive touchdown

Who's sac did you take? That's kinda gross.
ha thats funny...but gross...i think he ment sack
I'd say when I stopped Durrell White on 4 & 3 with them driving late in the game to hault all momentum they built up. We still had one more series on defense after that in which they threw hail mary's the whole time....but I'm a firm believer that if not for that play we wouldn't have won.
2001 2nd Round Playoff
Paintsville 28
Middlesboro 23
Who's some teams that were more than capable of winning it but fell just a game or 2 short from getting that chance?

2005 Belfry Pirates, got beat at Russell by a team that was equally as good.
If Belfry would have got by that one, would have been 3 in a row.

2005 Newport wildcats, Very good offense, played Russell to OT. Very good at the skill positions, alot of team speed.:Thumbs:
sorry MODS, Supposed to be a post. Sorry guys, my bad.
winning back to back undefeted district titles
I would have to say my senior year we were playing Sheldon Clark (1988) We were driving in getting ready to score, we had the ball around the 8 or 9 yard line. We were running a blast play, and I was playing tight end and my assignment on that play was the middle backer and man what a crushing block I got on that play to set our tailback free for the TD. was the best feeling I had, plus it helped that we won the game.

Also what was good about when we got our year books the next year, Had a good picture of that block in there.
Individually - scoring the first TD to ever be scored on our new field.

As a team - holding the best record in our school's history my senior season.
When Sheldon CLark beat Leslie on count of a flag!>> :no:
84 yard TD run lol first high school TD of my career
Prestonsburg winning at Breathitt County in the 2nd round of playoffs in 2004.  We put out their headlights.
Their is two one being beating JC for the back to back district championship.  :hungry:
winning the regional championship 2 years ago
Mine would be beating pikeville for the first time in school history and i think the only time
I think just playng high school football is the best. I know everyone has their favorite moments, as do I, but just playing football in highschool is great. Going out every Friday and playin under the lights is a feeling that you cant replace. I am lucky that i get to go out on Saturdays and play, but there is no better feeling in the world then going out and playin for your school on Friday while the fans cheer and almost everyone in the school is watching and cheering for you.....
Back in the day at Vipperman Stadium the team would come down the ramp. It was the most awesome feeling to be able to run through the tunnel hearing the band and the crowd. What made it especially nice was being able to experience it with my brother by my side. :bow:
1. Beating P-burg in OT.
2. Winning two RINGS.
3.Putting Vipperman Stadium to rest with a VICTORY.

OR..... I guess just getting to be a part of Belfry Football. :pirateshoot:
I have two favorite moments. First one is when I ran a end around on fourth and 20 with a min. left in the game to beat Dayton. My second favorite moment is when we held Beachwood on fourth and two to get the ball and just run out the clock 
[quote author=blackcat link=topic=19853.msg193823#msg193823 date=1140667796]
Prestonsburg over Breathitt in the second round 2004.
[/quote]

Yep
Having fun showing off when we beat betsy layne 85-0
In a game against Whitesburg getting 4 interceptions on defense and 3 TD's on offense. And of course beating Paintsville. The  year was 1975.
[quote author=Sponge B :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:ob link=topic=19853.msg194249#msg194249 date=1140720578]
Blackcat75 Wrote:scoring a defensive touchdown

Who's sac did you take?  That's kinda gross.
[/quote] :lmao:
Playing for the great Walter J. Brugh making it to Louisville in 1985, I may have been on the bench, but it was an awesome year, including a comeback win over a great Pikeville team on our home field.