Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Rowan County return to the state finals?
What do you think
No.
IMO, not a chance. Last year their half of the bracket was a cakewalk to the finals. If they make it out of the 16th, I doubt their bracket will be as easy as last years.

But, the lower bracket has been unbelieveably easier than the top bracket two years in a row.
goodguy Wrote:IMO, not a chance. Last year their half of the bracket was a cakewalk to the finals. If they make it out of the 16th, I doubt their bracket will be as easy as last years.

But, the lower bracket has been unbelieveably easier than the top bracket two years in a row.

Agree. Put them in the upper bracket last year and they would not have made the finals. All depends on the draw.
They may not make it out of the region this year not because they are no good, they should be the favorite but it is who gets hot at that right time. But to say if in the upper bracket they would not have made the finals is silly. They could have easily won the whole thing & beat the best of the upper bracket. Rowan played super and deserved to be there no matter who they played or what bracket they was in. I for one hope the 16th region is there again no matter who it is & if the shots are falling like last year they have a chance thats why they play the game.
LionEagle Wrote:They may not make it out of the region this year not because they are no good, they should be the favorite but it is who gets hot at that right time. But to say if in the upper bracket they would not have made the finals is silly. They could have easily won the whole thing & beat the best of the upper bracket. Rowan played super and deserved to be there no matter who they played or what bracket they was in. I for one hope the 16th region is there again no matter who it is & if the shots are falling like last year they have a chance thats why they play the game.
You obviously need more coffee because you need to wake up. If you think that the draw they had wasn't a significant factor in their run, you're delusional.
I don't think they will. It was a great run, but I don't see them reaching the final again.
never said it didn't help but why did they not lose by 30 in the finals against the upper bracket you need to get a clue. The best team doesn't always win its 1 game not best of 5 or 7. Rowan fans must have been delusional for even going down to support them. They must not have been 16th region boys playing in that game they didn't stand a chance. Im just glad ROWAN didn't forfeit that would have been delusional.
LionEagle Wrote:never said it didn't help but why did they not lose by 30 in the finals against the upper bracket you need to get a clue. The best team doesn't always win its 1 game not best of 5 or 7. Rowan fans must have been delusional for even going down to support them. They must not have been 16th region boys playing in that game they didn't stand a chance. Im just glad ROWAN didn't forfeit that would have been delusional.
Um, yes that is exactly what you said. As a matter of fact you said this: But to say if in the upper bracket they would not have made the finals is silly.

Christian County had to wade through a loaded upper bracket and were gassed. Not taking anything away from Rowan's accomplishments, it was awesome to watch and I couldn't be happier for those kids. But let's be realistic, they got a great draw. Please go back and revisit the threads prior to the tournament and see the comments on the upper vs. lower brackets and then get back to me. No one is hacking on Rowan so put your sensitivity settings down for a minute. An honest evaluation is that they got a beneficial draw. You are the only one in the Commonwealth who thinks otherwise.
I hope this doesn't lead to the big city hacks wanting to seed the Sweet Sixteen. The blind draw is what makes it exciting. Rowan County did get the benefit of an easier draw as far as the quality of teams but they were by no means picked to come out of the lower bracket so that was a great accomplishment for them. So I do not know why you would say it was a cakewalk for them as they were not the favorites. As far as Christian County being gassed, there are two sides to that argument. It is harder to win a state tournament coming out of the lower bracket as it is the later game on Saturday and so you have less rest. The other team is resting in the motel while you are still on the floor playing.
Well, I never said it was a cakewalk. I never said that the fans were delusional for going. It's like arguing with my ex-wife. She likes to add her own spin on what I actually say.

Good luck this year Rowan. I'm out.
OU812 Wrote:Well, I never said it was a cakewalk. I never said that the fans were delusional for going. It's like arguing with my ex-wife. She likes to add her own spin on what I actually say.

Good luck this year Rowan. I'm out.

My apologies. I thought you had the earlier post concerning a "cakewalk" but it was Goodguy.
OU812 Wrote:You obviously need more coffee because you need to wake up. If you think that the draw they had wasn't a significant factor in their run, you're delusional.

You need more than coffee...they were good enough with or without the kind of draw they had...OU812 U probably did!
Truth Wrote:No.

I cannot believe you did not give a dissertation. Good job Truth...
Clint Westwood Wrote:You need more than coffee...they were good enough with or without the kind of draw they had...OU812 U probably did!
You are very witty. Get the green glasses off. Rowan would have had issues with GRC, with Eastern, come on. Draw was kind. And I also believe they'll be lucky to represent the 16th this year. Ashland will be a tough out.
never said it didn't help that was my first line. not a Rowan fan just always pull for the 16th region and they had a magical run. and the way played they still could have made it. were they the best team no pobably top 8 but thats why they play & they proved they deserved to be there. I take it you probably lose most arguments with your wife like all men do but Rowan played 3 more games than half the top bracket regaurdless who was there.
I find it funny that the Rowan drum bangers can't just say that they had a magical run and were on the verge of a state championship. It was awesome to see. But even O'Hearn a couple of seasons ago commented on his teams draw was favorable in their success. No shame in it. It is what makes our tournament like none other.
I don't know if they can make it back to the State Finals but, they will dominate the 16th Region!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
OrangenowBlue Wrote:My apologies. I thought you had the earlier post concerning a "cakewalk" but it was Goodguy.

Christian Co. played.....Shelby Valley, Lexington Catholic, Lou. Eastern

Rowan Co. played....Daviess Co., Wayne Co., Bullitt East

Compared to what Christian Co. had to play....Cakewalk!
goodguy Wrote:Christian Co. played.....Shelby Valley, Lexington Catholic, Lou. Eastern

Rowan Co. played....Daviess Co., Wayne Co., Bullitt East

Compared to what Christian Co. had to play....Cakewalk!

I agree that Rowan County did have an easier draw although it was in the lower bracket which is harder to win the state title out of due to lack of rest time. To say they had a cakewalk is saying that Rowan was heavily favored over all three teams they played to get there. Lou. Eastern is the only team that stands out as being a formidable foe in the upper bracket that Christian had to play. Daviess County and Bullitt East were comparable to Lex Catholic last year and all three teams that Rowan played was 20+ better than Shelby Valley.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I agree that Rowan County did have an easier draw although it was in the lower bracket which is harder to win the state title out of due to lack of rest time. To say they had a cakewalk is saying that Rowan was heavily favored over all three teams they played to get there. Lou. Eastern is the only team that stands out as being a formidable foe in the upper bracket that Christian had to play. Daviess County and Bullitt East were comparable to Lex Catholic last year and all three teams that Rowan played was 20+ better than Shelby Valley.

Daviess Co and Bullitt East comparable to Lexington Catholic?????

Not even close, that's like saying EKU is comparable to UK. Catholic was loaded with Beckham, Schutte and Martin. It took one of the best high school games I've ever seen a player have to beat Lexington Catholic. Hickey was amazing on the defensive and offensive ends of the court. He almost single handedly won that game by himself!

The 7th and 11th Regions were undoubtably the two strongest regions in the state last year.

I respect your opinion but I completely disagree with it!

As for the cakewalk, the teams Rowan Co. played was a cakewalk compared to the teams Christian Co. had to play. That has nothing to do with Rowan being heavilly favored. They weren't heavily favored because they weren't much better than them. If Christian Co. had to play those three teams to make it to the finals then I would have said that Christian Co. had a cakewalk.
I agree Rowan had the more favorable draw than Christian Co, no doubt the upper bracket was brutal, however to indicate that Rowan could not have played with Eastern, Lex Catholic etc.. or even come out of the upper bracket is IMO wrong. They played with GRC (lost by 2), Louisville Moore (Won by 2), Louisville Butler (lost by 2), Ashland (won by 14 & 6), Madison Central (lost by 9), Daviess Co (won by 13), Wayne Co (won by 17), Bullitt East (won by 2) and Christian Co (lost by 2) all of which were ranked in the top 20 when Rowan played them.
Trouble Wrote:You are very witty. Get the green glasses off. Rowan would have had issues with GRC, with Eastern, come on. Draw was kind. And I also believe they'll be lucky to represent the 16th this year. Ashland will be a tough out.

I couldn't disagree more. I don't believe Ashland has the guard play to deal with Townsend, Wing, Egan and company. Take a look at RC's schedule...Orange Lutheran, CA in the KOB; Trinity; Christian Co; Hopkinsville; Bullitt East; Clark Co; St. X...doubt there's much any 16th Region team can throw at them they will not have seen by March.

Somebody had to be in that upper bracket...8 teams to be exact. Rowan didn't pick it and they weren't placed there. It is a moot point.

As far as the SPECULATION-and that's all it is- that they could not have won the upper bracket, well, I guess we'll never know. History will show Rowan County as the state runners-up in 2010-2011 in what will long be remembered as one of the greatest championship games ever played.
HD28 Wrote:I couldn't disagree more. I don't believe Ashland has the guard play to deal with Townsend, Wing, Egan and company. Take a look at RC's schedule...Orange Lutheran, CA in the KOB; Trinity; Christian Co; Hopkinsville; Bullitt East; Clark Co; St. X...doubt there's much any 16th Region team can throw at them they will not have seen by March.

Somebody had to be in that upper bracket...8 teams to be exact. Rowan didn't pick it and they weren't placed there. It is a moot point.

As far as the SPECULATION-and that's all it is- that they could not have won the upper bracket, well, I guess we'll never know. History will show Rowan County as the state runners-up in 2010-2011 in what will long be remembered as one of the greatest championship games ever played
What in the world does that have to do with anything? Doesn't change who they played.

Secondly, Ashland has Withrow, Whetsel, and Bush at the guard position. Egan shoots well, and Townsend is the best PG in the region. Wing is versatile. My question is this: How does Rowan plan on replacing Hunter in the middle of that 2-3? The tall red headed kid? If that's the plan, I'm not so sure that I'd funnel all those baseline drives to that kid like Hunter stepped down to close off. I will say that Rowan is the favorite, but if you think for one second Ashland can't match up, you're sorely mistaken. How will Rowan defend Gregg? If Ashland can get anything out of Hart or Salow, I think Ashland is a definite threat to Rowan. One poor shooting night in the regional tourney could send someone else to Rupp.
We can give our opinions of who had to the toughest bracket to play in but that is all opinions and speculation. There is only three facts to come out the outcome of the championship game.

1. Christian County is the state champion

2. Rowan County is the state runner-up

3. It was one helluva game.

That is what the history books will show. Not the strength of schedule or brackets. That will long be forgot in the future.
I agree.
Of course they had a great draw, but thats all part of the game! its called basketball. congrats to Rowan County and i hope they repeat again this year, they represented the 16th well and were only one shot away from a state title...
Rowan will have a good year, but next year they will be down again.
Last year all you heard about the 16th was that it was not very good. Guess Rowan represented the 16th very well. Good Luck to all of the 16th region teams this season, stay healthy and have fun !!!!
Trouble Wrote:What in the world does that have to do with anything? Doesn't change who they played.

Secondly, Ashland has Withrow, Whetsel, and Bush at the guard position. Egan shoots well, and Townsend is the best PG in the region. Wing is versatile. My question is this: How does Rowan plan on replacing Hunter in the middle of that 2-3? The tall red headed kid? If that's the plan, I'm not so sure that I'd funnel all those baseline drives to that kid like Hunter stepped down to close off. I will say that Rowan is the favorite, but if you think for one second Ashland can't match up, you're sorely mistaken. How will Rowan defend Gregg? If Ashland can get anything out of Hart or Salow, I think Ashland is a definite threat to Rowan. One poor shooting night in the regional tourney could send someone else to Rupp.

Has a lot to do with it since people are downplaying an amazing accomplishment by saying "it was a good draw". So what? you still have to play the games and you still have to win to advance. Rowan COunty had no say in who was in their bracket.

Secondly, my bet is that Ashland will turn the ball over at an alarming rate when faced with good pressure from quality opponents, especially if Bush is the choice at PG. And I do not believe that either of the other two you mentioned are viable candidates for that position either. Your point about Hunter is a good one...however, at 6'2 Gregg's best asset is his passion for the game; nobody plays harder. That said, the 16th region doesn't have a dominant post player so although RC's lack of a true post player may hurt them on the state level, I do not believe it to be an issue in the 16th.