Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faulkner University 95 Union College (Barbourville) 89 3OT
Wow, what a game.
This even made sportscenters top ten plays, and it came from a team right here in southeastern KY.

Ill see if i can find a story.....

Id say its up there, but i do remember Georgia Tech beating someone like Cumberland 222-0 one time and thats the record for points.

This game ended in the 4th qtr tied at 75 lol.
And BTW, Unions QB is from Williamsburg HS.

total offense
Union 696
Faulkner 793

Passing
Union 392 Yards 4TD's
Faulkner 48/63 for 637 yards and 7TD's

Defense anyone? lol
Heres the story....

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – In a game that resulted in the most points ever scored in an NAIA football game, it was a fourth-down stop in the third overtime by the Faulkner defense that handed the Eagles a 95-89 record-setting victory over Union here Saturday afternoon on Homecoming at Alabama Christian Academy's Norton Memorial Field.

The 194 total points easily outdistanced the previous NAIA mark of 141, ironically set a year ago in Union's game against Bethel. In fact, Saturday's game eclipsed the record in regulation, with the Mid-South Conference West Division craziness having ended the fourth quarter tied at 75. It was the second-highest scoring game in college football history, surpassed only by Georgia Tech's 222-0 blasting of Cumberland in 1916.

After the teams matched touchdowns and point afters in the first two extra periods, Faulkner quarterback Josh Hollingsworth tossed his seventh scoring pass of the day in the third overtime - this one to Chris Kordakis - to give the Eagles the six-point lead. Although the required two-point attempt failed, Faulkner was a defensive stop away from winning on Senior Day.

And on fourth-and-2 at the Eagles' 17, that's exactly what it got. Defensive linemen Paramore Tapa, Kenterris Williams and Ty Hardnett, along with linebacker Tanielu Mose, stuffed Union's Rob Brown short of the first down, ending the four-hour marathon and setting off a wild celebration among Faulkner players, coaches and fans.

"I'm just so proud for these seniors because they deserved to go out with a win," said Faulkner head coach Gregg Baker, whose third Eagles team finished the season 3-7 with the victory. "That's what we talked about all week. We struggled so much defensively today, and all season, but our guys stepped up when we had to have it on that last drive in overtime.

"It's been a tough season. It didn't turn out like we wanted but it ended the way we wanted it to. This gives us some momentum headed into the off-season."

Hollingsworth, who already had re-written Faulkner's offensive record book, completed 48 passes in 63 attempts for a season-high 637 yards and the seven touchdown tosses. He wasn't the only Eagle who shined on this memorable evening, with a pair of seniors - wideout Courtney Pete and running back Brandon Cheatham - ending their Eagle careers in quite memorable fashion. Pete caught 19 passes for 201 yards and three touchdowns, while Cheatham had 130 yards rushing on 21 carries and a school-record five touchdowns.

Pete also through a touchdown pass, to Hollingsworth of all people, on a throwback pass that gave Faulkner a one-point lead midway through the final quarter. The lead was eight at 75-67 after a Cheatham touchdown run with 3:12 left, but Union failed to go away, marching 60 yards in 12 plays, scoring with 13 seconds showing on the clock on Brown's 12-yard gallop. Moses two-point conversion pass to Josh Winkle tied it at 75, setting the stage for the overtime drama.

The scoring explosion started at the outset, with both teams seemingly scoring at will. Neither team was able to build more than a one-score lead in the opening half, with a 63-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Moses to Brown with 5 seconds left handing the Bulldogs a 38-35 lead at the break.

Union took a 10-point lead early in the second half, but Hollingsworth answered with a scoring pass to Pete and Eagles' tailback Ricky Barr scored from a yard out to give Faulkner a 49-45 lead midway through the third quarter. There were five lead changes the rest of the way, before the extra periods finally decided it.

Kordakis caught seven passes for 109 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-winner. Another senior - wideout Don Hill - had his biggest day as an Eagle. pulling in four passes for 131 yards and a touchdown. Dimitri Smith was the fourth Faulkner receiver who surpassed the 100-yard mark, catching seven passes for 108 yards and a touchdown.

Faulkner safety Zeke Pigg had a game-high 21 tackles, and also forced a fumble and intercepted a pass for the Eagles.

For Union (2-9), Moses passed for 392 yards and four touchdowns, while Brown was almost unstoppable from his running back position, rushing for 241 yards and four scores. Faulkner finished the game with 793 yards of total offense to 696 for Union.
Heres the one from the GA Tech/Cumberland Game in 1916.

[Image: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...eboard.jpg]

Cumberland College, a school in Lebanon, Tennessee, had discontinued its football program before the season but was not allowed to cancel its game against the Engineers. The fact that Cumberland's baseball team had crushed Georgia Tech earlier that year 22-0 (amidst allegations that Cumberland used professionals as ringers) probably accounted for Georgia Tech coach John Heisman's running up the score on the Bulldogs. He insisted on the schools' scheduling agreement, which required Cumberland to pay $3,000 ($60,349 in inflation-adjusted terms) to Tech if its football team failed to show. So, George E. Allen (who was elected to serve as Cumberland's football team student manager after first serving as the baseball team student manager) put together a team of 14 men to travel to Atlanta as Cumberland's football team.

Another reason for Heisman's plan to run up the score was that collegiate rules at the time ranked teams based on how many points they scored. Heisman did not consider that statistic a true mark of a team's success, and may have unleashed his players on Cumberland to make his point.
Am I the only one that thinks when you score 89 points, you should be able to win a football game? lol..my goodness.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Am I the only one that thinks when you score 89 points, you should be able to win a football game? lol..my goodness.

But what if the other team scores 95?
^
Lol exactly.

I dont understand how bothteams finished regulation at 75.
Couldnt both teams have maybe just maybe went for two somewhere inside the game or something lol.
Told me father and he told me that the news had it mistaken with a basketball score. I showed him the article and he freaked. Largest football score I have ever seen.
^
lol i thought it was a bball score too, but after watching it on the news, i seen them playing football lol.
Where do defensive coordinators apply?
How long did this game last, time wise?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
WoW
OffTheHook Wrote:How long did this game last, time wise?

Probably about half as long as a crappy baseball game, so A LONG TIME.
Yeah, but how many more FTs did Faulkner shoot? Heard there was a huge disparity in Fts... Oh, wait.... not a basketball game... football... American Football...not even Arena or Canadian League? Huh?!!!!!!