Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Cross 45, Owen Co. 0
final
:betterthanexpected:
congrats to HC
I thought OC had a great offense?
Defense wins in the playoffs
Stardust Wrote:I thought OC had a great offense?

They finally played a decent team. Nice year for Owen though.
nky Wrote:Defense wins in the playoffs

unless you can score 45 points:biggrin:
^ ask Franklin Co about that
Hold a team to 0 you'll win 99.9% of the time (that's right you heard it here first)
I went to the game and have one question.....what kind of team does Beechwood have if they beat this Holy Cross team 69-26?

Great year for Owen Co, but they went up a couple of levels of competition tonight.
great season for the Owen county rebels plz everyone keep Bobby Mingie in your prayers he took a hard hit tonight and was not able to talk but did move his fingers plz everyone pray
The_OC Wrote:I went to the game and have one question.....what kind of team does Beechwood have if they beat this Holy Cross team 69-26?

Great year for Owen Co, but they went up a couple of levels of competition tonight.

Beechwood beat Newport Catholic, who will beat Holy Cross and win their 2nd state 2A title in a row
REBEL 4 EVER Wrote:great season for the Owen county rebels plz everyone keep Bobby Mingie in your prayers he took a hard hit tonight and was not able to talk but did move his fingers plz everyone pray

We will keep him in our prayers
First off: congrats to Owen County on a fabulous season, 11-1 is a great accomplishment and Owen County deserves alot of respect for it. Also for Rebel4Life or RebelWarrior, is there an update on the status of the player that was carted off the field in the 1st quarter? I pray and hope he's ok, he took one the hardest hits I've ever seen in a football game.

Now I'm sure Owen County has a great offense, the stats provided support it, but the tremendous amount of pressure from Holy Cross kept that offense from going anywhere. You could tell Owen was not near ready for the pressure HC brought on every play. Offensively, Holy Cross controlled the tempo and kept it pretty simple. Once Owen got down a couple scores, the energy went right out of them and never came back.

May I add that the folks of Owen County were incredibly friendly and enthusiastic. Made the trip a lot of fun.

Finally, congrats to my Crossbacks on moving on and breaking the school record for wins in a season as they surpass my senior season's total of 8 wins from 2006-2007. Now beat Newcath!!!
um Bobby got flowed to a hospital forgot which one but he was awake but could not respond but was moving his fingers they are worried about his back and neck not so much head and and yes the crowd cheered for us the hole game
toussaints Wrote:First off: congrats to Owen County on a fabulous season, 11-1 is a great accomplishment and Owen County deserves alot of respect for it. Also for Rebel4Life or RebelWarrior, is there an update on the status of the player that was carted off the field in the 1st quarter? I pray and hope he's ok, he took one the hardest hits I've ever seen in a football game.

Now I'm sure Owen County has a great offense, the stats provided support it, but the tremendous amount of pressure from Holy Cross kept that offense from going anywhere. You could tell Owen was not near ready for the pressure HC brought on every play. Offensively, Holy Cross controlled the tempo and kept it pretty simple. Once Owen got down a couple scores, the energy went right out of them and never came back.

May I add that the folks of Owen County were incredibly friendly and enthusiastic. Made the trip a lot of fun.

Finally, congrats to my Crossbacks on moving on and breaking the school record for wins in a season as they surpass my senior season's total of 8 wins from 2006-2007. Now beat Newcath!!!

How did my boy Kyle do?
toussaints Wrote:First off: congrats to Owen County on a fabulous season, 11-1 is a great accomplishment and Owen County deserves alot of respect for it. Also for Rebel4Life or RebelWarrior, is there an update on the status of the player that was carted off the field in the 1st quarter? I pray and hope he's ok, he took one the hardest hits I've ever seen in a football game.

So did the Indians blitz early and often? and put some pressure on OC QB?
Stardust Wrote:How did my boy Kyle do?

Kyle was Kyle, if that makes any sense lol

He played pretty good, got excited on a few of his passes, overthrowing the receiver by 20 yards a few times, outside of that he played great.

nky Wrote:So did the Indians blitz early and often? and put some pressure on OC QB?
They blitzed on every play, the QB maybe had 2 seconds to make a play.

Oh another note: Sawyer Williams played like a man, really good defensive player. Anybody know if he'll be playing on saturday's in the future?
hopefully sawyer will be i had to guard him in practice all yr he will do great he is really good a bball to so dont no if he will chose bball or football
Stardust Wrote:Beechwood beat Newport Catholic, who will beat Holy Cross and win their 2nd state 2A title in a row

I realize that NCC is in another stratosphere, but I was just trying to envision the team that ran for 500+ yards and hung 69 on that team I saw tonight.

One thing I noticed about Owen Co....as most teams do nowadays in this spread "era" run exclusively out of shotgun, is how much trouble they had with the snap....I dont know how many times the QB had to field the snap off the ground or right at his toes...made things very tough with the pressure D Holy Cross brought. Actually, noticed it last week in the Newport game, but the O-line was able to hold off Newport, couldnt tonight.

Prayers for Bobby Mingie of Owen Co, btw.
toussaints Wrote:Kyle was Kyle, if that makes any sense lol

They blitzed on every play, the QB maybe had 2 seconds to make a play.
play the style that got you there
Looks like I'll be heading to Newport next week to see the next game in person. I hope it's not cold:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:How did my boy Kyle do?

Ask and ye shall receive...just got back in...here are some stats on Kyle:

11-23 for 186 yds and 2 TDs
19 rushes for 164 yds and 4 TDs
28 yard field goal
2 point conversion pass to Walker
4 of 5 extra points

In other words, he had a hand in each of the 45 points!
Bobby Mingie from OC was flown to Children's Hospital in Cincinnati. He is doing okay, but was unresponsive at one time...very scary. It is thought that he has a concussion and I am not sure what other injuries. Please keep him in your prayer. This might be a long recovery.

Toussaints, Sawyer Williams has had a great season, offensively and defensively. He broke the school record for yards receiving in a season, over 1000. He has not announced where he will be attending school or what sport he will be playing. He is a heck of a basketball player too.
gohard Wrote:Bobby Mingie from OC was flown to Children's Hospital in Cincinnati. He is doing okay, but was unresponsive at one time...very scary. It is thought that he has a concussion and I am not sure what other injuries. Please keep him in your prayer. This might be a long recovery.

Toussaints, Sawyer Williams has had a great season, offensively and defensively. He broke the school record for yards receiving in a season, over 1000. He has not announced where he will be attending school or what sport he will be playing. He is a heck of a basketball player too.

Hopefully Mingie's recovery is quick, the Holy Cross community is praying hard for him.

As for Mr. Williams, what colleges do you know of have shown interest in him?
Big win...
toussaints Wrote:Hopefully Mingie's recovery is quick, the Holy Cross community is praying hard for him.

As for Mr. Williams, what colleges do you know of have shown interest in him?

I am not sure of any specifics. All I know that is that he is getting a lot more looks at basketball than football.
nkypete Wrote:Ask and ye shall receive...just got back in...here are some stats on Kyle:

11-23 for 186 yds and 2 TDs
19 rushes for 164 yds and 4 TDs
28 yard field goal
2 point conversion pass to Walker
4 of 5 extra points

In other words, he had a hand in each of the 45 points!

I love that kid:Thumbs:
Holy Cross ended one team's dream season Friday and kept its own title hopes alive.

In a Class 2A playoff game against undefeated Owen County, the Indians flexed their offensive muscle and logged a third consecutive shutout in a 45-0 victory at a chilly Patterson Field.http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...311120071/

Holy Cross (9-3) advances to play defending state champion Newport Central Catholic in a rematch of a game the Thoroughbreds won last month.

"I'm really proud of the way my team played down here," Indians coach Bruce Kozerski said. "This is a tough neighborhood to play in. Very good football team."

Friday's game figured to be showdown between a potent Holy Cross offense and a stingy Owen County defense. The Indians entered with the third highest scoring offense in Class 2A while the Rebels' defense had been holding opponents to an average of 10.5 points per game.

Holy Cross struck early and often.

Owen County won the coin flip and chose to start on defense. The strategy backfired. On the first play from scrimmage, Indians tight end Adam Kozerski caught a swing pass from quarterback Kyle Fuller, lowered his shoulder and leveled an Owen County defensive back on his way to a 65-yard score just 15 seconds into the game.

"Oh, that was awesome," Fuller said.

The Indians were up 35-0 by halftime.

A dual threat, Fuller tallied 350 yards of offense (186 yards passing, 164 yards rushing) and factored in every Holy Cross score Friday. He scored four touchdowns on runs of four, 45, eight and 10 yards. He also threw for two more and added a 28-yard field goal.

"My job is a whole lot easier when we have a defense that can hold a team that's averaging 30-something points a game to zero points," Fuller said.

Entering Friday, the Indians' defense hadn't allowed a point since losing to Newport Central Catholic on Oct. 22. They extended the streak Friday by holding Owen County to a minus-39 yards on the ground and 119 total yards overall and forced four turnovers.

Bruce Kozerski thinks his team is playing its best football of the season, and it's hard to dispute. The Indians have outscored their past three opponents, 154-0.

"I don't know that my guys took a play off," Kozerski said. "I've really noticed the aggressive nature the last four or five weeks. They're not going to be satisfied with a win.

"We'd like to think we can continue to get better. As I tell my guys everyday it's not about the opponent. It's about ourself. We have to do what we do best and execute our offense and our defense and our special teams."

The loss ended a magical ride for Owen County's team. The Rebels went undefeated in the regular season and finished 11-1.

"I'm sorry it ended this way for them," Owen County coach Adam Fowler said. "Holy Cross is an outstanding football team. But I'm proud of them. Proud of the ride they took me on and the ride they took the community on, the community pride they brought."

Thoughts after the game were with one of the Rebels players.

The game was stopped for several minutes in the first quarter. Owen County senior cornerback Bobbie Mingie was injured by a block on Fuller's 45-yard run with 32.3 seconds remaining in the first quarter. He was transported by ground to an Owenton hospital and shortly thereafter flown to Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.

"He was unresponsive when they took him," Fowler said. "He was awake, but unresponsive. That's the text I got at half."
HC 20 15 3 7 -- 45
OC 0 0 0 0 -- 0

H – Kozerski 64 pass from Fuller (Fuller kick)
H – Fuller 4 run (Fuller kick)
H – Fuller 45 run (kick failed)
H - Fuller 8 run (Walker pass from Fuller)
H – Walker 10 pass from Fuller (Fuller kick)
H – Fuller 28 yard field goal
H – Fuller 10 run (Fuller kick)

Records: Holy Cross (9-3), Owen County (11-1)
Foremost my prayers go out to Bobby...I hope he is makes a full and speedy recovery

Second Congrats to Owen County on a Fantastic season
What a great turn around in one season going from 3-8 to 11-0
Last year I thought they played NCC with a lot of heart and determination
I thought they would improve greatly this year and I hate to admit but I was right. The Rebels captured my interest and were fun to follow. By week 6
I was convinced they were for real and would win 11 straight

Third Mucho Congratulations to Holy Cross
I am a NCC fan first but also a fan of good football and classy programs.
I have witnessed 3 matchups with the Indians over the last 2 seasons and have felt for some time that they have been greatly underestimated.
Holy Cross played very well last year and are even stronger this year.
Maybe they will make the BGR list this week...hint as if you all need it
Holy Cross has been unstopable over the last 3 weeks...153-0
As for the Beechwood game, I understand that the score was very misleading
Beechwood is Beechwood and I think they are explosive as ever
The game was close until the 3rd when the Tigers went crazy
Also note that Holmes has a great defense and BW only beat them 21-13
Then HC beat Holmes 41-0 based on that it really emphasizes the anomoly of the BW 69 HC 29 game. Conner edged HC but Pounded undefeated 5A Franklin.

Last year I could feel the intensity with which the Indians played. Play after play there were great plays followed by punishing hits on both sides of the ball. But what was great was to watch say Fuller put Kelly on his back or vise versa then pull the other up off the turf, smack each other on the back of the helmet and do it again. Intense but classy football from 2 great programs.

Thanks to Owen County for added greatly to the enjoyment of this season and representing region 3 well

as a NCC fan I say bring on the Indians...this is for 2A!!! I doubt it will disappoint anyone but saddly only one team can prevail