Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MaxPreps: 5 toughest high school basketball state titles to win
Thought this was pretty cool.
5 toughest high school basketball state titles to win

Wednesday, November 02, 2011
By: Jason Hickman | MaxPreps.com
-------------------------------------
When it comes to high school basketball state tournaments, it doesn't get any more old school than Kentucky's Sweet 16.

One state, one champ.

Winners of 16 regionals gather at storied Rupp Arena in Lexington, a grouping that last year featured Eastern of Louisville (enrollment 2,300) and Bardstown (enrollment 564) a year ago, providing an annual opportunity for Hoosiers-type storylines. Two years ago, tiny Shelby Valley (Pikeville) (enrollment 589) took advantage and won it all.

In the 20 years since Fairdale captured back-to-back titles in 1990 and 1991, the all-comers format has helped produce 18 different state champions with only Mason County (Maysville) and Scott County winning multiple Sweet 16s. Holmes (Covington), Warren Central (Bowling Green), Scott County and Mason County have all reached back-to-back finals during the same timeframe.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pretty cool read
I agree. The Kentucky state basketball tournament is pretty special.

Our football championships have been watered down to the point that they are much less meaningful than they once were. If you are only competing against 32 or 33 other schools what kind of state championship is that?
Yeah, I love the Sweet 16. I'm ready for some high school hoops.
I love the sweet sixteen. Its always a show
I love it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The greatest high school sports event in the nation, hands down........
Interesting read and completely true. I have always felt that Kentucky's Sweet 16 is the most unique high school playoff system in the country. A kind of old age format that all other states have gotten away from for and it allows for the most amazing storylines and moments ever seen in high sports! I love it and thanks for the article!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
As always. I hope I'm sitting courtside this season!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Ok, I'm gona play devils advocate here. I grew up and went to hs and played ball in NC, were we had 4 classes, so the "all in one" class was unique to me when I moved here and stated college after I got out of the military 23years ago.

Someone mentioned in a post above about the hs football playoffs being waterd down now, with the way it's set up and almost everyone making the playoffs. Well, in actuality, if you believe that, then isn't the same thing true in basketball, or at least similiar? Does anyone really think the best 16 schools get to the state tournament every year? Arent there probably 15-20 teams sitting at home that are better, maybe even significantly better, than half the field at the sweet 16? Don't some schools only make it to the sweet 16 because they play in a very weak region, while several very very good teams sit at home because they play in an extremely tough region? Aren't those teams just as "deserving" (I don't really like to use that word) as the teams in the extremely weak region? How is it any more fair that team X from (pick a weak region) gets to go to Rupp and plays in the state tournament that they have no shot what-so-ever at winning, while team Y, who may be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state and could beat the best team half the time, sits at home watching?

Whew, I know, I may ruffle some feathers here, but I'm just asking. In actuality, I kind of like the sweet 16 set up, and I get to go to Rupp and see teams play that I probably for the most part would never see. However, you have to admit that the way the sewwt 16 is set it, there can be and usually are some big blow outs in the first rounds becasue, obviously, some teams get there that really aren't very good, comparitively. Of course, it makes the region tournaments that much more exciting, especially in the tough regions where 3 or 4 of the states best teams my reside and play each other for the right to get to Rupp, but in return that again can lead to some big mis-matches at Rupp as well. There is good and bad to it I suppose, but it is unique for sure.
BigVMan23 Wrote:Ok, I'm gona play devils advocate here. I grew up and went to hs and played ball in NC, were we had 4 classes, so the "all in one" class was unique to me when I moved here and stated college after I got out of the military 23years ago.

Someone mentioned in a post above about the hs football playoffs being waterd down now, with the way it's set up and almost everyone making the playoffs. Well, in actuality, if you believe that, then isn't the same thing true in basketball, or at least similiar? Does anyone really think the best 16 schools get to the state tournament every year? Arent there probably 15-20 teams sitting at home that are better, maybe even significantly better, than half the field at the sweet 16? Don't some schools only make it to the sweet 16 because they play in a very weak region, while several very very good teams sit at home because they play in an extremely tough region? Aren't those teams just as "deserving" (I don't really like to use that word) as the teams in the extremely weak region? How is it any more fair that team X from (pick a weak region) gets to go to Rupp and plays in the state tournament that they have no shot what-so-ever at winning, while team Y, who may be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state and could beat the best team half the time, sits at home watching?
Easy big Dan, but you are right and sometimes those weak regions blow everybody out of the water just like Shelby Valley did in 2010. I don't know any other place where this format fits any better than the basketball capital of the world "Kentucky". Everybody loves to root for the underdog and occasionally we get to witness something magical and on any given game night dreams can and do come true!

Whew, I know, I may ruffle some feathers here, but I'm just asking. In actuality, I kind of like the sweet 16 set up, and I get to go to Rupp and see teams play that I probably for the most part would never see. However, you have to admit that the way the sewwt 16 is set it, there can be and usually are some big blow outs in the first rounds becasue, obviously, some teams get there that really aren't very good, comparitively. Of course, it makes the region tournaments that much more exciting, especially in the tough regions where 3 or 4 of the states best teams my reside and play each other for the right to get to Rupp, but in return that again can lead to some big mis-matches at Rupp as well. There is good and bad to it I suppose, but it is unique for sure.
"The Greatest Show in Hoops".
Easy big Dan, I hear ya, and you are right for the most part, but occasionally a weak region blows out everybody else like when Shelby Valley walked on everyone in 2010. It is a perfect format for the greatest and most storied basketball state in the world. Where on any given night/season something magical can be witnessed by 20,000 plus fans rooting for the underdog. I was lucky enough to be at those blowouts that year and I still get goosebumps thinking about what those young men accomplished. Even though they were ranked # 1 going in nobody really expected them to win, not honestly. I was so proud and will always say it is the greatest show in basketball. " The Sweet Sixteen". I hope some of those kids you work with get the opportunity there at Fox Creek to play in Rupp!
Someone needs to make a movie about Shelby Valley magical run to a state title. Who is with me!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
BigVMan23 Wrote:Ok, I'm gona play devils advocate here. I grew up and went to hs and played ball in NC, were we had 4 classes, so the "all in one" class was unique to me when I moved here and stated college after I got out of the military 23years ago.

In football you only have to beat out about 30 other schools to win a state championship. In basketball, you have to beat out nearly 300 other schools to win a championship.
"How is it any more fair that team X from (pick a weak region) gets to go to Rupp and plays in the state tournament that they have no shot what-so-ever at winning,..."

Life is not always fair. Sometimes just getting to the Sweet 16 is more than some could hope for. And, who says they have no shot what-so-ever at winning? This is what makes it so great.