Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poole's Father Wants To Discuss Possible Transfer From UK basketball
Poole's father wants to discuss possible transfer from UK basketball

10:03 PM, Nov. 1, 2011 | 1Comments

The University of Kentucky basketball team might be losing sophomore guard Stacey Poole Jr. if his father has his way. Stacey Poole Sr., upset over a lack of playing time, said he will fly to Lexington this weekend to discuss his son’s future with him.
“He’s a battler. He’s not thinking about leaving. But it’s spearheaded by his father,” Poole Sr. said when reached by phone Tuesday night. “I’m the guy that’s unhappy for him.”
Poole Jr. is a 6-foot-4, 200-pound Jacksonville, Fla., native who Rivals.com rated the No. 33 overall recruit in the country when he signed with the Wildcats. But he averaged just 2.8 minutes and scored four total points last season.
UK coach John Calipari signed four McDonald’s All-Americans in his latest class and has said all preseason that they’re each among the top seven players on the roster. Poole Jr. is not.
DeWayne Peevy, media relations director for the basketball team, said neither Calipari nor Poole Jr. would be available for comment because "as far as we're concerned, there's nothing to comment on." He said that no roster changes have been made, that all players will be available for Wednesday night's exhibition game against Transylvania.
Poole Sr., who is the No. 4 all-time scorer in University of Florida history, said his son is “in love with UK basketball, but at the end of the day, you need to be on the floor. You’re not part of UK basketball if you never step on the floor. What he doesn’t see, I may have to see it for him. He may have a little too much blue in his eyes.”
The father said he’s been in his son’s ear for several weeks, encouraging a transfer from UK because “I don’t like the writing on the wall” with all the talent Calipari has stockpiled. “Those guys are beasts,” Poole Sr. said.

The father said no final decision has been made, but it will likely come soon. He wants to sit down in person with his son and come up with a plan.
“I want to look in his eyes and see what’s what,” he said. “At the end of the day, I’m going to make the call. He’s 20, but he’s still a kid. Four years from now, he can blame his father if it doesn’t work out.”

He said his son is upset with him for how vocal he’s been about his displeasure. He said Calipari is aware of his wishes after a recent phone conversation between them.
“Cal said, ‘It just doesn’t seem like he’s as focused as he should be.’ I said, ‘He’s probably not because this is what I’ve been talking to him about,’ ” Poole Sr. said. “Cal said it’ll be all right, that he just has to keep fighting. He’s done that, but he just doesn’t look confident anymore. He looks scared to make a mistake.
“The thing I always told him when he left my house is, ‘As soon as I stop seeing your smile, I’m going to be disappointed in you.’ And I’m not seeing him smile.”
Let him go, he just takes up space on the bench anyway. He's not UK material.
Bye.

Really though, it would be in his best interest.
If Cal was ever going to play Poole, he would have already been on the floor.
Same goes for Polson and Hood.
Should have went somewhere they would have gotten playing time.
I think his father needs to realize that his son is old enough to make his own decisions. He needs to encourage him to get in there and battle. Jorts rode the bench for 3 years but had a really good senor year and was drafted in the NBA. If I was his father I would show more confidence in my son and support what ever decision he makes.
Poole beef'd up during the offseason, he will make a nice player for another D1 school. He has talent but just not for UK. UK has 5 star players, Poole is more 3star.
Westside Wrote:I think his father needs to realize that his son is old enough to make his own decisions. He needs to encourage him to get in there and battle. Jorts rode the bench for 3 years but had a really good senor year and was drafted in the NBA. If I was his father I would show more confidence in my son and support what ever decision he makes.

Exactly, and there is no need to bash the kid if he does transfer and not call him UK material. He's just a kid who is looking for the best possible scenario.
Mr. Onion Head Wrote:Exactly, and there is no need to bash the kid if he does transfer and not call him UK material. He's just a kid who is looking for the best possible scenario.

I think this is one of your more nicer posts. Good post.
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:Let him go, he just takes up space on the bench anyway. He's not UK material.

That's not really nice, but I understand.
Everything that comes out of your mouth makes me think of a raging hillbilly.
bump
bump
I have no problem with it at all. Yes, Stacy is the decision maker and ultimately he is the one who will sign his name to the dotted line should he either leave or leave because he was influenced by his father.

For all of you who are blasting his father, or saying it as simply "leave because you are not good enough or you are not UK material", you guys are all looking at it shortsighted and since you are all weekend wannabes, you don't get it!

I've sat down with college coaches, both with my parents when I was 18 and with my own son when he was 18. When a college coach comes to talk to YOU and your parents, you are told that you are the man. You are told you will PLAY! You are told that this team is very talented and you will CONTRIBUTE to winning a national championship. But trust me guys, what they do NOT tell you is that you will play, but it's only in practices! They tell you that you will contribute, but they do not tell you that your contributions are on the scout team. So step down, and understand it from a vantage point of the student athlete and the parent who is sitting across from the BEST CAR SALESMEN in the world! Don't even think you know what promises or commitments were made, because you nor I were there when they were made.

I'm not blaming coaches for this either. Coaches MUST fill out a roster and they are going to fill it out with the best possible talent they can find. Sometimes they take someone who can contribute - UNTIL - they get the 5 star athlete committed.

So everyone needs to step down from blasting on something that they have no clue about (and I'm not saying that I know either - but I have been there)! If this is best for the young man, then I wish him well and hope that he goes somewhere that he can flourish. It's obviously not going to be at UK, so why keep this kid from making the decision to move elsewhere. Sure, his dad has a play in this, but by-god, we are talking about an 18 year-old, not a 25 year-old! I'm going to protect my 18 year-old who is playing college baseball the same as Mr. Poole and I don't give a damn who has a problem with it!

If I don't think I'm being utilized the best at the job that I do, then I'm going to go somewhere that my skills will be rewarded!
Stardust Wrote:bump

Stardust Wrote:bump

I agree.
^ Damn thing would not take my post and after hitting submit 3 times, I got the same post three times!!!
Pretty good post SD.
I wouldn't mind riding the bench for UK, they are a championship caliber team. He may get to play next year or the year after if he stays. If he wants to PLAY BALL then I say he should look into transferring. I'm sure he didn't sign up to play on the bench and be a fan to his comrades, he signed up to play for someone and I am assuming that is why his dad is so furious. They also have to realize - this isn't highschool ball anymore, this is the best of the best. UK is the universe of college basketball and if he wants to play now, then I say he should look into transferring. I wish him well that's for sure. I don't think he has even gotten off the bench has he? He really can't be that bad. I know Cal has put in Hood and Polson over him, Hood I could probably agree with but Polson? Surely he is ranked higher nationally than Polson and is a better role player. I just don't get that part. It could possibly be strictly for show on Cal's part where Polson is a Kentucky boy.
double post, disregard.
Stardust Wrote:I have no problem with it at all. Yes, Stacy is the decision maker and ultimately he is the one who will sign his name to the dotted line should he either leave or leave because he was influenced by his father.

For all of you who are blasting his father, or saying it as simply "leave because you are not good enough or you are not UK material", you guys are all looking at it shortsighted and since you are all weekend wannabes, you don't get it!

I've sat down with college coaches, both with my parents when I was 18 and with my own son when he was 18. When a college coach comes to talk to YOU and your parents, you are told that you are the man. You are told you will PLAY! You are told that this team is very talented and you will CONTRIBUTE to winning a national championship. But trust me guys, what they do NOT tell you is that you will play, but it's only in practices! They tell you that you will contribute, but they do not tell you that your contributions are on the scout team. So step down, and understand it from a vantage point of the student athlete and the parent who is sitting across from the BEST CAR SALESMEN in the world! Don't even think you know what promises or commitments were made, because you nor I were there when they were made.

I'm not blaming coaches for this either. Coaches MUST fill out a roster and they are going to fill it out with the best possible talent they can find. Sometimes they take someone who can contribute - UNTIL - they get the 5 star athlete committed.

So everyone needs to step down from blasting on something that they have no clue about (and I'm not saying that I know either - but I have been there)! If this is best for the young man, then I wish him well and hope that he goes somewhere that he can flourish. It's obviously not going to be at UK, so why keep this kid from making the decision to move elsewhere. Sure, his dad has a play in this, but by-god, we are talking about an 18 year-old, not a 25 year-old! I'm going to protect my 18 year-old who is playing college baseball the same as Mr. Poole and I don't give a damn who has a problem with it!

If I don't think I'm being utilized the best at the job that I do, then I'm going to go somewhere that my skills will be rewarded!

To me the whole process is like a job interview. The person doing the interview is lying. The person being interviewed is lying. It's all a game. If Stacey Poole is too dumb to realize this, he's too dumb to be in college to begin with. I still think his father needs to step back. Just my opinion though.
Westside Wrote:To me the whole process is like a job interview. The person doing the interview is lying. The person being interviewed is lying. It's all a game. If Stacey Poole is too dumb to realize this, he's too dumb to be in college to begin with. I still think his father needs to step back. Just my opinion though.

So everybody's lying, it's OK for Stacy to leave. Do we all forget that he only gets a one year scholarship???? The school only commits to him for one year at a time, no big deal if the student decides to leave. What I don't get about your analogy Westy is how is the recruit lying? In recruiting, it's all one sided. The colleges already know your skills and ability's, so what is it that you can hide from the college that they don't already have access to? I'm pretty confident that the recruiter is not asking the recruit "can you dribble"???

Finally - You are 100% wrong about the dad stepping aside. If Stacy makes it to the pro's, will Stacy be doing his own talking to the team that he is contracted with? NO! Stacy's dad is the defacto agent! If Stacy gets signed by the Orlando Magic, and Stacy chooses his dad as his agent, are we going to then say "Stacy's dad needs to step away"???? Again, how can anyone have any issues with this???
Ballers Wrote:Pretty good post SD.
I wouldn't mind riding the bench for UK, they are a championship caliber team. He may get to play next year or the year after if he stays. If he wants to PLAY BALL then I say he should look into transferring. I'm sure he didn't sign up to play on the bench and be a fan to his comrades, he signed up to play for someone and I am assuming that is why his dad is so furious. They also have to realize - this isn't highschool ball anymore, this is the best of the best. UK is the universe of college basketball and if he wants to play now, then I say he should look into transferring. I wish him well that's for sure. I don't think he has even gotten off the bench has he? He really can't be that bad. I know Cal has put in Hood and Polson over him, Hood I could probably agree with but Polson? Surely he is ranked higher nationally than Polson and is a better role player. I just don't get that part. It could possibly be strictly for show on Cal's part where Polson is a Kentucky boy.

You may be perfectly happy to ride UK's bench, but ONLY if you were 100% confident that you will never ever play after college. For Stacy, he has aspirations of getting paid to play after his college career is over. This is not Polson. Stacy has enough skill that he could go someplace else and get playing time, possibly even start. So, if his aspiration is further than college athletics, then he is absolutely making the correct career choice. Because I promise you, he will not get paid to play sitting on UK's bench as others get the glory.
Stardust Wrote:So everybody's lying, it's OK for Stacy to leave. Do we all forget that he only gets a one year scholarship???? The school only commits to him for one year at a time, no big deal if the student decides to leave. What I don't get about your analogy Westy is how is the recruit lying? In recruiting, it's all one sided. The colleges already know your skills and ability's, so what is it that you can hide from the college that they don't already have access to? I'm pretty confident that the recruiter is not asking the recruit "can you dribble"???

Finally - You are 100% wrong about the dad stepping aside. If Stacy makes it to the pro's, will Stacy be doing his own talking to the team that he is contracted with? NO! Stacy's dad is the defacto agent! If Stacy gets signed by the Orlando Magic, and Stacy chooses his dad as his agent, are we going to then say "Stacy's dad needs to step away"???? Again, how can anyone have any issues with this???

Let me say SOME recruits may hide certain things from agents such as injuries, certain bad habits, etc.

From what I've read, I do think the father should step aside because Stacey Poole wants to be at UK and apparently is happy being there. His father is the one who isn't happy. Ultimately, whose life is it, Stacey's or his dad's?

As far as a defacto agent, please don't use such big words with me. I honestly don't know what it means.
Poole's dad sees his future cash cow may not be working out so well now....and he is starting to panic.

I would say Poole, Jr is happy @ UK and wants to be a part of the team. Poole, Sr sees his son is not going to be the superstar and might not make it to the NBA and make that NBA money....
For the record, this is the definition of defacto that I got from dictionary.com:

In reality or fact; actually.
adj.
1. Actual: de facto segregation.
2. Exercising power or serving a function without being legally or officially established: a de facto government; a de facto nuclear storage facility.

So, I'm assuming that defacto agents is THE actual agent.

Thanks for confusing me Dusty.
Hey Stacey, go to Arkansas! We'll take you! Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
He didn't dress up for the shoot-a-round.

Likely means he's gone.
id say hes gone.
If he played in the exhibition he would have to sit out an additional semester. Even if he stays, I'm sure it was precautionary just in case he did leave.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Go or stay UK will be just fine so no big deal
Poole is a super talented player, I mean he was ranked top 40 in his class. Maybe him and UK just is not the right fit. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet and I think if he don't eventually flourish here, he will somewhere else. He's got the talent to succeed!
I don't like that his father his basically making this decision for him. Poole Jr. is a grown ass man.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Bye.

Really though, it would be in his best interest.
If Cal was ever going to play Poole, he would have already been on the floor.
Same goes for Polson and Hood.
Should have went somewhere they would have gotten playing time.

Not ready to give up on Hood yet either. If it wasn't for his injury IMO he could have given us valuable minutes as our 8th man. If Cal don't get the recruits he wants this year, Hood could see A LOT of time next year. And I think he will do well.
Aslan Wrote:Poole is a super talented player, I mean he was ranked top 40 in his class. Maybe him and UK just is not the right fit. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet and I think if he don't eventually flourish here, he will somewhere else. He's got the talent to succeed!
I don't like that his father his basically making this decision for him. Poole Jr. is a grown ass man.

A grown ass man has someone make his decision for him when he's a pro!!!