Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Teams Are The Biggest Overachievers in 2011
I.m interested in what teams where suppose to have a down year, but over come the odds and surpised everyone. In my opinion I think Perry Central is an overachiever because early on noone mention PCC and now the finish the regular season with possible an 8-2 with a brute of an schedule. I like to hear other people opinion.
I think Rockcastle, Garrard, and Russell Co are three of the biggest surprise teams this year. I think the biggest surprise may be Perry Co. Central. They have the best team they have ever had, having played Harlan so close until the end, and beating Johnson Central @ home and Knox at a neutral site. They have definately overachieved this year. Russell Co. also has the best team I remember them having. I hope they all keep on winning through the playoffs. I love to see the Mountain Teams play with the city boys. Go country boys.
Leslie county has had a major turn around year. Coach Eddie Melton has the eagles headed in the right direction as they look to close in on a 8-2 season record with the dirstrict title under their belt. congrats to leslie on a great season
2 EZY Wrote:Leslie county has had a major turn around year. Coach Eddie Melton has the eagles headed in the right direction as they look to close in on a 8-2 season record with the dirstrict title under their belt. congrats to leslie on a great season

I think so too.
Williamsburg, starting 8 freshmen and losing as many seniors they had last year. Winning another district title, beating Campbellsville at C-Ville and Leslie Co. at home.
I'm going to go with the Russell County Lakers. They have played some really good teams and have a good record to show for it.
GetChili Wrote:I'm going to go with the Russell County Lakers. They have played some really good teams and have a good record to show for it.

i dont agree, RC had almost everyone back from a semi final team, they should have won more IMO. Should have at least be rock who was W/O their best player.
Leslie County
Few thought Edmonson County would be 9-0 at this stage of the season - schedule toughness aside.
I dont think Rockcastle overachieved this year, they had everyone back from last 2 years teams and all are now SRs, they should have done wha tthey did this year, especially playing a weak non-dist schedual.
former Wrote:i dont agree, RC had almost everyone back from a semi final team, they should have won more IMO. Should have at least be rock who was W/O their best player.

I think that you are confused there. Russell County did not make the semi-finals last season. They lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Also, they are 8-1 this season so they could only possibly won one more game than what they have. Russell County is definately a year ahead of schedule.
Polar Bears of Bracken County
Currently 6-3 with a good chance of going 7-3 and maybe winning a first round playoff game

From a program that has won only 7 games in the history of the program before this season(8 seasons)

Hats off to Coach Siple
Norm Peterson Wrote:I think that you are confused there. Russell County did not make the semi-finals last season. They lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Also, they are 8-1 this season so they could only possibly won one more game than what they have. Russell County is definately a year ahead of schedule.

I was about to say the same thing. Only loss is a two point decision to Rockcastle County, in overtime, on the road.
Norm Peterson Wrote:I think that you are confused there. Russell County did not make the semi-finals last season. They lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Also, they are 8-1 this season so they could only possibly won one more game than what they have. Russell County is definately a year ahead of schedule.

you are right, lost in 2nd round to eventual state runner up, still almost beat them if I remember right.

still should have beat rock without their best player.
former Wrote:i dont agree, RC had almost everyone back from a semi final team, they should have won more IMO. Should have at least be rock who was W/O their best player.

former Wrote:I dont think Rockcastle overachieved this year, they had everyone back from last 2 years teams and all are now SRs, they should have done wha tthey did this year, especially playing a weak non-dist schedual.

Actually, we finished 3rd in district 2, and lost some very good talent. Some of which are playing on Saturdays now. And your knocking a team of 10th and 11th graders for loosing by a failed 2-point conversion at the home of SR laden Rockcastle team? Really?

The funny thing is I think our players might agree with former. They expected to win every time out, and the loss to Rock has to have them thinking that they underachieved. Hopefully they will come out in the playoffs with the mindset that they left one on the table.

As far as the rest of us go, I'll have to say Norm is right, we are a year ahead of schedule, and although the move to the east has been a good experience, had we stayed in our old district we would have had a very good chance of making it to the finals this year. There would have been obstacles, but not Boyle, LexCath, Rock, Knox, CovCath, Collins, and HHS.

I think everyone can mark their calendars for next years Russell Co @ Knox Central game.....it should be one of the best games of the year.
going with Leslie Co
Lewis county only the second district title and beating Russell for the first time.
Defiantly Leslie and Perry. Especially Leslie county.
laker20 Wrote:Actually, we finished 3rd in district 2, and lost some very good talent. Some of which are playing on Saturdays now. And your knocking a team of 10th and 11th graders for loosing by a failed 2-point conversion at the home of SR laden Rockcastle team? Really?

The funny thing is I think our players might agree with former. They expected to win every time out, and the loss to Rock has to have them thinking that they underachieved. Hopefully they will come out in the playoffs with the mindset that they left one on the table.

As far as the rest of us go, I'll have to say Norm is right, we are a year ahead of schedule, and although the move to the east has been a good experience, had we stayed in our old district we would have had a very good chance of making it to the finals this year. There would have been obstacles, but not Boyle, LexCath, Rock, Knox, CovCath, Collins, and HHS.

I think everyone can mark their calendars for next years Russell Co @ Knox Central game.....it should be one of the best games of the year.

How many seniors is on Russells team
HonestJohn Wrote:I think Rockcastle, Garrard, and Russell Co are three of the biggest surprise teams this year. I think the biggest surprise may be Perry Co. Central. They have the best team they have ever had, having played Harlan so close until the end, and beating Johnson Central @ home and Knox at a neutral site. They have definately overachieved this year. Russell Co. also has the best team I remember them having. I hope they all keep on winning through the playoffs. I love to see the Mountain Teams play with the city boys. Go country boys.

Since when did Russell County become a Mountain Team?????

:please:
Going with Leslie County and Garrard County
Hatz Wrote:Since when did Russell County become a Mountain Team?????

:please:

Can't even see the Mts from here. We are from the Rolling-Hills............LOL.
Russell Co. and Leslie Co. have certainly been surprise teams in 2011!!!!! Congratulations to both programs on phenomenal seasons.

Also, I think you have to look at a team like Southwestern as a welcome surprise as well with everything that football team has endured during the heart of a district race. To finish 5-0 in that district is a credit to their staff as well!!!!
rustyankle Wrote:How many seniors is on Russells team

I believe we have 8 seniors. None of the skill position players are Seniors.
former Wrote:I dont think Rockcastle overachieved this year, they had everyone back from last 2 years teams and all are now SRs, they should have done wha tthey did this year, especially playing a weak non-dist schedual.

If losing your star RB in game 5 and then beating a top ten mountain team and a flat-land non-mountain team without him is not overachieving, I don't know what is. Beating PCC at their house, and Russell at home after having 7 turnovers in that game, and then heading on the road and getting a butt-kickin from Knox. I don't think anyone would honestly think Rock would have 1 loss at this point in the season without Rowe in the big games. As for the weak non-district schedule, it put them in first place in the three way tie for district.
HonestJohn Wrote:If losing your star RB in game 5 and then beating a top ten mountain team and a flat-land non-mountain team without him is not overachieving, I don't know what is. Beating PCC at their house, and Russell at home after having 7 turnovers in that game, and then heading on the road and getting a butt-kickin from Knox. I don't think anyone would honestly think Rock would have 1 loss at this point in the season without Rowe in the big games. As for the weak non-district schedule, it put them in first place in the three way tie for district.

:biglmao:

Good one.
Owen County should get a nod I guess for being 9-0 and district champs and a legit shot at 10-0.
Just don't think the playoffs will be kind to them
UKFan8 Wrote:Russell Co. and Leslie Co. have certainly been surprise teams in 2011!!!!! Congratulations to both programs on phenomenal seasons.

Also, I think you have to look at a team like Southwestern as a welcome surprise as well with everything that football team has endured during the heart of a district race. To finish 5-0 in that district is a credit to their staff as well!!!!

Well said. I totally agree!
rustyankle Wrote:How many seniors is on Russells team

42 Bunch is in the rotation at WR...He has 7 catches for 138 yards and a touchdown...he also has 2 interceptions on Defense.

21 Prudente started at DB in the beginning of the season but has given way to Mann in the latter part of the season. Prudente has 2 interceptions this year

87 Emerson is the holder and a back up reciever

The rest of our seniors are 2nd and 3rd stringers...They have played an important role on special teams and on scout teams..

The seniors have been an important part of this year's success....

However, We will technically return 21 of 22 starters next season!
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Lewis county only the second district title and beating Russell for the first time.

Thanks for the mention! But I actually think it is the 4th district title in school history but the first since 1985. But I definitely agree with the mention of Lewis and find it hard to believe no one else mentioned them. Currently 7-2. Making it the first winning season since 1988. First EKC title since 1988. As I said, first district title since 1985, first ever win over Russell, first win over Mason County since 1988. Along with, statistically, the 3rd best defense in 3A! Roll Pride!