Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Johnson Central vs Rowan County (Updates)
Jude's a great player, and a nice guy. Hats off to him for not being a egomaniac.
Stay classy Coach Booth...
Wideleft01 Wrote:Calm down boys. No name calling. We all know Highlands is going put Johnson out of the playoffs and it's going to be fun again in a few weeks to see Highlands eliminate the good folk of Paintsville again. Just like in the Sweet 16 in 1997.

No, no, we were cheering FOR Highlands in that game. At least, I was. And I know I wasn't alone in Johnson County.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Actually he was still in when it was 65 - 0 in the first half.

First of all, I don't get to decide when a player gets pulled from MY team. Secondly, Mueller believes in (right or wrong) playing his starters for the first half and one series in the blowouts. After that, it is all about the backups.

What kind of numbers do you think Towles, or Guidugli or Lorenzen would put up playing 15, 4 quarter games a year? I think all three are happy with the state championships they helped their teams win.

You don't get to decide when a player gets pulled from this team either, so why don't you just sit back and relax and enjoy some football?
I've got a serious question. How many state championships have come out of the mountains in the last 60 years? I'd bet that Highlands has far more than all the mountain teams put together. Maybe I'm wrong. Please enlighten me.
The way I look at it is, JJ is chasing a state record, personally if I was in his position I would want to be playing every single down of the game regardless of what the score is or sportsmanship. You cannot say that if you was put in his position that you wouldnt want to be taken out of the game because you want to achieve the goal that you've been chasing since you were a freshman. Coach Matney plays him the whole game out pure respect for his star player JJ Jude, Matney wants JJ to achieve this goal just as bad as JJ wants it. If any other coach was put in this position they would play him the whole game to help him break the record too. It's Matney's team, let him coach it the way he sees fit.
Diogenes Wrote:A better question is, why should a kid be arbitrarily prevented from an unprecedented career achievement because his team is good? How unfair is that to a kid who has a once in a lifetime chance?

Final numbers: 21 carries, 425 yards, 6 TDs for Jude. 10 carries, 100 yards, 2 TD for Josh Dillon. That from WSIP.

Those are fair questions and the answers are difficult.

On one hand, a coach wants to see a kid that has worked and played so hard set a high school record if he can. With it unlikely (although not impossible) that JJ will end his high school football career with a state championship, I can see Matney wanting to see the record broken. I can also see Matney thinking that playing his starters the entire game will help them when they play teams like CovCath and Highlands that two platoon.

On the other hand, a coach should be concerned about an injury happening to JJ while he is still playing in a blow out. I'd have to think that would pretty much eliminate all but the slimmest of chances of winning a state championship or making it even to the third playoff game. That would be unfair to the other players on the team that I presume are working hard to win as many games as they can as opposed to just seeing JJ set the record. Perhaps that assumption is wrong. A coach also has to consider whether the program would benefit with next year's RBs getting real game experience this year instead of keeping the senior RB carrying the ball late in the games.

Obviously Matney supporters are going to look at it one way; those that haven't been all that pleased with Matney are going to look at it the other. Frankly, I think both perspectives have merit and can be safely argued. So why don't we just let it go and quit bringing it up in every JC thread? It is what it is, and what it is is what each poster wants it to be.

Congrats JC.
charlie22 Wrote:Those are fair questions and the answers are difficult.

On one hand, a coach wants to see a kid that has worked and played so hard set a high school record if he can. With it unlikely (although not impossible) that JJ will end his high school football career with a state championship, I can see Matney wanting to see the record broken. I can also see Matney thinking that playing his starters the entire game will help them when they play teams like CovCath and Highlands that two platoon.

On the other hand, a coach should be concerned about an injury happening to JJ while he is still playing in a blow out. I'd have to think that would pretty much eliminate all but the slimmest of chances of winning a state championship or making it even to the third playoff game. That would be unfair to the other players on the team that I presume are working hard to win as many games as they can as opposed to just seeing JJ set the record. Perhaps that assumption is wrong. A coach also has to consider whether the program would benefit with next year's RBs getting real game experience this year instead of keeping the senior RB carrying the ball late in the games.

Obviously Matney supporters are going to look at it one way; those that haven't been all that pleased with Matney are going to look at it the other. Frankly, I think both perspectives have merit and can be safely argued. So why don't we just let it go and quit bringing it up in every JC thread? It is what it is, and what it is is what each poster wants it to be.

Congrats JC.

Uh, I am assuming that you are directing that question to your fellow HHS buddies.:blabbermo It really seems to worry the dickens out of them..
Eagle Pride 90` Wrote:Exactly thats why he must play late in games now. Even your coach realizes that. He leaves his starters in as long as he feels he needs to to give his team the best chance to win another state title. Matney leaves his in to get them in the best possible shape to go as far as possible in the playoffs. As far as the record goes as long as it doesn't comprimise wins ,I would be upset with Matney if he didn't give JJ every opportunity to break it. He has worked very hard and deserves it. Ask Wales coach if he would allow him to break it. In an earlier interview he said he pulled him in the state championship game lacking 6 yards of 2000 and he would not fall short of anything this season.

That is what some blinded fans from other teams don't see!!! This is a great kid who gives JC the best chance to win. If I was a teammate I would be upset if we were not going trying to let him break it. They are trying to be a part of history when they can tell their kids and grandkids I was a part of that. I sit and watched tonight a kid run I think the first five carries and had over 200 yards. He could have broke the record tonight if Matney chose to. But we spread the ball around and got everyone involved.
2dog Wrote:I've got a serious question. How many state championships have come out of the mountains in the last 60 years? I'd bet that Highlands has far more than all the mountain teams put together. Maybe I'm wrong. Please enlighten me.

I've got another serious question. Who gives a crap? What does it have to do with the Johnson Central and Rowan County update thread? It's just like the putz from Belfry putting his two cents in talking about the Belfry game that's two weeks away. If the same thing happened in their threads they would feel the same way.
Get over yourself this is a football fans talk show and people should get on any thread they want and speak their minds. If you cant take some critics or other opinions maybe you should stay off BGR. I see other teams fans on every other teams threads going back and forth all the time it is not just your threads.:argue: I enjoy it fans love to talk junk about the team to beat in their road to the state title. We play JC,Ashland,and other good teams to get better and to call fans of high school football childish names just shows your lack of real class. Coach Booth stop acting like a child!:dontthink
Ashland holds Jude under 100
redstorm Wrote:Ashland holds Jude under 100

Great News For Eagle Fans.

Shew!!! And most of us were assumimg that this game was going to be a nailbiter. Seeing how most of your previous expert preditions have come to light, it is now official. Jude will run wild for 400+ and JC will romp. Thanks redstorm, now that it's confirmed as a sure thing for JC, I'll try to get ahold of my bookie!!

:letsparty

Is that yards or points? :yikes:

First of all, this should be in the JC/Ashland prediction thread. This is a thread about JC/Rowan.

And second, who knows. Although I dont see it likely that Ashland can contain Jude to those numbers, I dont think he will have a game where he runs wild either for a couple of reasons. Ashland does have good speed on the ends which will make it difficult to get to the outside and bust one big, but at the same time there interior defense has been lackluster. Belfrys fullback ran wild up the gut and kept the ball away from Ashland nearly the entire second half. I look for much of the same from Dillon in this game which should take substaintial carries away from Jude.
Bob Seger Wrote:It's impossible to make chicken salad out of chicken #$%&.

I heard Matney say that about his own team that he was coaching one time. I was playing for the man. Instantly turned me off towards the guy.
tenaciousD Wrote:I heard Matney say that about his own team that he was coaching one time. I was playing for the man. Instantly turned me off towards the guy.

Well I guess the first question that should be asked is "was he telling the truth?":biggrin:
Bob Seger Wrote:Well I guess the first question that should be asked is "was he telling the truth?":biggrin:

Absolutely it was. Team was 2-8 and the last team he coached at SC.
Diogenes Wrote:He DOES have a state record to break.

Btw, final score 63-14. We still haven't embarrassed anybody 77 or 79-0, no matter how outmatched the opponents might be. So before you start teaching sportsmanship lessons, you might want to remediate yourself a little bit. Kthxbai.

In three games the score was ran up. What low life would do that to kids from three different schools?
saw both teams play knox central last season. both good programs, the Rowan county game is one i will never forget, it was KC's school record 10th win against a 10-1 team.
Benchwarmer Wrote:In three games the score was ran up. What low life would do that to kids from three different schools?

Jim Matney every chance he could. And a heck of a lot of coaches in the state.
tenaciousD Wrote:Absolutely it was. Team was 2-8 and the last team he coached at SC.

Man I'm going to tell you this, I've known the man for a long time and I've never ever heard him say anything like that to one of his players. I've never heard the man curse anyone either. You're either confused or you're a flat out liar with an agenda. My opinion is if you're going to get on here and say this type of crap about anyone you should have the guts to put your name on here. I'm willing to bet you're not man enough to put your name on here but you're more than willing to get on here and stretch the truth. I'm going to break this news to you and the rest of the people that read your crap in this thread. Jim Matney's last team at Sheldon Clark was in 2003 and they went 8-4. The 2-8 team that you mentioned in the above quote was in 2004 and Shawn Hager was in his first year at the helm of the Cardinals. My question is if you can rememember a 2-8 year why can't you remember the head coach?
Bob Seger Wrote:Uh, I am assuming that you are directing that question to your fellow HHS buddies.:blabbermo It really seems to worry the dickens out of them..

Stop being an ass. I'm directing it at everyone that keeps bring it up and that goes beyond just Highlands fans.

And please don't tell me that if you are being an ass, it's only because some Highlands people are asses. When people see a bunch of hoods on a corner, they don't worry about which ones became hoods first; they just see a bunch of hoods on the corner.